Forums > General Industry > Nudity vs Implied Nudity?????

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Through work, I have traveled the country, and have found there tends to be regional 'dialects.' -  with speech (even though we speak English). With this thought in mind, I'd appreciate some nation-wide feedback. Thanks!!

What is considered 'implied nudity?' And what constitutes 'nudity?'

For instance, is a picture of a topless model, taken from the back, coinsidered nudity, or is it implied? Likewise, If a cloth is held up, or the lighting aligned to cast shadows in a certain way as to not 'show' anything, is it nudity?

I know opinions vary, and respect all. I'm looking for some honest feedback.

Thanks all!!! Have a great one. Happy shooting!

Jul 06 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Implied nudity is when the photographer only gets to peek at the model naked while she's getting into her pose. Once she's posed, she'll cover it all up and you don't get to get pictures of the naughty bits unless you have a video camera in the changing room.

Nude is when she walks around with nothing on and you can look at her all you want and even take a few pictures if you remember!

GWC

Jul 06 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

DarrelB

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

To me implied nudity is where you can not determine if the model is nude or not.  In your example a topless model shot from the back would be nudity because she is nude even though her breasts may not be showing.  Of course this is a very grey area.

Darrel

Jul 06 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

One of my models, Leanna, said she didn't do nudity. I was like, ohhh, that's too bad cause it would look really cool if I could show your nipple rings. She was like, oh I do topless...

So there is a third option, nude, implied nude, topless

Jul 06 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

She was blonde, right??

Jul 06 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Implied nudity to me is "It looks like the model is nude, but I can't directly see her naughty bits so they might be covered." A shot from the back showing no breasts and no hiney to me is an implied nude even if you can't see any clothing or even if she was in fact nude.

"Topless" I would include in "semi-nude."

M

Jul 06 05 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

To me if you do not show the nipples or "down there" it is implied nudity. A model with her top off but her back to the camera is implied nudity. You are seeing nothing but back. So how can it be considered nudity. Maxim has models with bare backs all the time but are not sold to people that are 17 years or older like Playboy.

Jul 06 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

But then again I had a girl who wanted to do an implied nude shoot but included her bare butt as being an implied nude shot.

Jul 06 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

DarrelB

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Bare does that say nudity?

Jul 06 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

A bare back is not implied nudity!!
It is bareback!!

Jul 06 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
A bare back is not implied nudity!!
It is bareback!!

For this topic a bare back would be implied nudity. If you go to a nice restaurant or a club you see girls showing off just as much back but it's not in a photo shoot setting.

Jul 06 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Posted by DarrelB: 
Bare does that say nudity?

Nope. My arms are bare right now and so are my feet. No nudity there.

Jul 06 05 10:27 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Christopher Wright: 
To me if you do not show the nipples or "down there" it is implied nudity.

That's what I've always gone by.

(And why I will only do implied with photographers I've worked with before and trust won't be trying to snap shots of my "bits" if I'm not paying attention. :p)

Jul 06 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

(And why I will only do implied with photographers I've worked with before and trust won't be trying to snap shots of my "bits" if I'm not paying attention. :p)

You're a smart person but, as your potfolio says, you are 115 years old so you've had time to learn the ins and outs.

Jul 06 05 11:10 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Heheh. wink

Jul 06 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Too often, it seems that implied nudity is when the photographer can't get her completely naked but talks her into strategic covering up with hands/arms/etc... and usually the model is so rigid and scared and tense that she looks like she'd rather be in the next county.

Done properly, by a model who is relaxed and comfortable with her body, implied can lend a sense of mystery to a shot.  Unfortunately, more often it's closer to what GWC described above.

Jul 06 05 11:21 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by joe duerr: 
She was blonde, right??

rude

Jul 06 05 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

When I am shooting implied with models who won't do full nude, I make sure I have a teeny-tiny thong in a color close to her skin tone and give it to her to wear during the shoot.
If she decides not to wear it for whatever reason, I will point my camera at the floor while posing the model, then aim, compose and shoot once she's comfortably sure that she's properly covered..

Posted by Josie Nutter: 

Jul 07 05 12:50 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Implied nude is exactly that - implied. "To express or indicate indirectly" Example: Johnson Johnson, Caress, Oil of Olay... This is what I do, same terms as Josie.

There is also simulated. The model wears a skin colored band across her breasts and a thong, which are covered with make up or photo shopped out. This is popular with actors too.

"Nude" by general conception is probably explicit nudity. "Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied" or "Readily observable" or "Describing or portraying nudity or sexual activity in graphic detail" This I do not do. They're called street walkers. Just kidding!

That's about as clear as you can get.

BTW the quotes are from the dictionary.

Jul 07 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bake in a 125 degree oven for 17 minutes.
The US way of cooking.

Bake in a moderately hot oven until done.
The French way.

The same situation applies to an American's view of sex and a French person's.That's why sex manuals do so well in North America.

This argument is very American. I once had a model who came into my studio and told me what percentages of what parts of her body I could photograph or not. I sent her home. When a model comes into my studio I have forewarned her (days before)that I may ask her to take it all off. This semi-nude, implied nude, etc sounds like nonsense.

Jul 07 05 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by alexwh: 
...I once had a model who came into my studio and told me what percentages of what parts of her body I could photograph or not. I sent her home. When a model comes into my studio I have forewarned her (days before)that I may ask her to take it all off. This semi-nude, implied nude, etc sounds like nonsense.

Cheers!

Jul 07 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Sara Green: 
Implied nude is exactly that - implied. "To express or indicate indirectly" Example: Johnson Johnson, Caress, Oil of Olay... This is what I do, same terms as Josie.

There is also simulated. The model wears a skin colored band across her breasts and a thong, which are covered with make up or photo shopped out. This is popular with actors too.

"Nude" by general conception is probably explicit nudity. "Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied" or "Readily observable" or "Describing or portraying nudity or sexual activity in graphic detail" This I do not do. They're called street walkers. Just kidding!

That's about as clear as you can get.

BTW the quotes are from the dictionary.

Good answer Sara - this is how agencies term it as well because they hve different pay rates for lingerie, nudity, etc.

Jul 07 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by alexwh: 

This argument is very American. I once had a model who came into my studio and told me what percentages of what parts of her body I could photograph or not. I sent her home. When a model comes into my studio I have forewarned her (days before)that I may ask her to take it all off. This semi-nude, implied nude, etc sounds like nonsense.

Briefly:  Kudos to the model for stating her grounds before the photo session started.  Also bravo for the photographer for cancelling the session since it would have not produced the desired results.  However I have to say to the photographer shame on not making your session requirements clear.

Now back to the thread's topic:

IMO, implied nudity equals covered private areas.  The model may indeed be nude, but private areas cannot be seen.

Charlie

Jul 07 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Actually a couple of terms are often mixed up on the net. Back when Mathew Brady and I were doing commercial work, there were a couple of similar but different terms.

Implied nudity - the model may or may not be nude, but the photo caused her to appear to be nude.

Covered nudity -  The model is obviously nude, but the naughty bits are covered by limbs, fabrics, props or whatever is used, so that they are not visible.

Jul 07 05 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Every picture you shoot with a model is a nude!
It is simply the level of nudity and how many props you have in place (such as clothes)

If her skin is visible, it is nude.
(nude = devoid of covering)

Now, there are levels of nudity.
Full nudity - Nothing is covered.
Partial Nudity - The sexual organs are covered. (Nipples / Penis / Vagina) note - pubic hair in and of it self does not make it go from partial nudity to full nudity.
Acceptable nudity - Sexual organs are reasonably covered.

At least, that is how the TV censors look at it :-P

NYPD Blue actually had 2 shoots in it where by old standards, the censors would have called it nude.
One was from behind and between the legs of "Connie", but focused on her stepson.
The other was of Connie getting into the Shower (side view) where her pubic region was visible (she is shaved) but the vagina was not.

Ok, Photography terms:
If the model is naked, or topless, and you can not see the nipples of pubic region, it is implied.
If the model is naked and you can see either or both, it is nude.

My opinion.

Jul 07 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Doug Lester: 
Actually a couple of terms are often mixed up on the net. Back when Mathew Brady and I were doing commercial work, there were a couple of similar but different terms.

Implied nudity - the model may or may not be nude, but the photo caused her to appear to be nude.

Covered nudity -  The model is obviously nude, but the naughty bits are covered by limbs, fabrics, props or whatever is used, so that they are not visible. 

Logically I think these terms make perfect sense, but I've seen "implied" used so often for what you call "covered" (and not just on the net) that I don't think you can rely on these terms without spelling them out up front.

Jul 07 05 06:24 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 
Every picture you shoot with a model is a nude!
It is simply the level of nudity and how many props you have in place (such as clothes)

If her skin is visible, it is nude.
(nude = devoid of covering)

My opinion.

FASCINATING...

My own humble interpretation of "implied nude" has been that the model is nude, yet hiding nipples and butt crack and pussy hair from the picture.

The fun thing is trying to think of some original way to hide the girl while convincing you she is nude...I saw some great old movies from the 50's on tv once where they must have glued this woman's dress to her nipples and her butt crack, and nowhere else! The thing got so close to coming off, and yet it didn't. Kinda gets you guessing, like a game, if it will every really get there...

Anyways, I'm sure there's other ways of getting that effect.

Posted by GWC: 
Implied nudity is when the photographer only gets to peek at the model naked while she's getting into her pose. Once she's posed, she'll cover it all up and you don't get to get pictures of the naughty bits unless you have a video camera in the changing room.

This is what I fear the average photographer thinks of implied nudes.

Posted by GWC:
Nude is when she walks around with nothing on and you can look at her all you want and even take a few pictures if you remember!

Sometimes being too quick to take off your clothes can have a weakening effect on the photographer smile)) Which is exactly why I "only do nudes for my personal pleasure" although that is somewhat vague, it means that from a business perspective, i.e. lets build my portfolio and get some good work, I am not interested in posing nude for fumble-fingers! Unfortunately I'm kind of a pushover and can be easily convinced because I long to please...

Jul 07 05 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Sometimes being too quick to take off your clothes can have a weakening effect on the photographer smile))

I found it the complete opposite. My very first implied nude shoot was at my apartment. The model came over and within ten minutes of being at my place she took off her clothes and we started shooting. I found it was extremely easy to focus on photographing her after this. She was so comfortable in her skin and it was like this is the outfit that I am wearing that I found it easier to concentrate on the shoot.

Jul 07 05 07:28 pm Link