Forums > Photography Talk > epson 4990 scanner

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

I'm thinking of getting one, dose anybuddy use one befor, i like what i saw and like epson. dose anybuddy use one and are happy or not happy.
and whats the diffrent between 4990 pro, and plain 4990? i cant see it
thanks LEE

Jul 07 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

I think the difference between the two is the software bundle. check the bullets at the epson website.

A printer I work with locally recently purchased one to scan transparencies and he loves it. I saw one 6x7 scan he did and have to agree that for a reasonably priced flatbed you can't really go wrong.

Hope this helps!

Jul 07 05 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

the difference is the software bundle, 100%.  Same as with the 4870.

Just a caution.  I have the 4870, and while it's really good for the 4x5 stuff I do occasionally, it's only acceptable for the 6x6 and 6x9 medium format I do.  The biggest issue is gettng acceptable film flatness and therefore really good image sharpness.  The dynamic range number that they throw out is also grade A baloney - I've seen two tests now where someone measured, and the real dynamic range number as measured is down around 3.2 or so.  That's a HUGE issue for me as I tend to shoot smoother, low contrast but lots of shadow detail. 

As long as you know what you're getting - in my case, a cheap way to get medium format and 4x5 into a digital workflow, understanding that I'd be paying for better scans for some percent of the images - you'll be fine with it.  It really is no substitute for dedicated film scanners.

Jul 07 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by Ed Nazarko: 
the difference is the software bundle, 100%.  Same as with the 4870.

Just a caution.  I have the 4870, and while it's really good for the 4x5 stuff I do occasionally, it's only acceptable for the 6x6 and 6x9 medium format I do.  The biggest issue is gettng acceptable film flatness and therefore really good image sharpness.  The dynamic range number that they throw out is also grade A baloney - I've seen two tests now where someone measured, and the real dynamic range number as measured is down around 3.2 or so.  That's a HUGE issue for me as I tend to shoot smoother, low contrast but lots of shadow detail. 

As long as you know what you're getting - in my case, a cheap way to get medium format and 4x5 into a digital workflow, understanding that I'd be paying for better scans for some percent of the images - you'll be fine with it.  It really is no substitute for dedicated film scanners.

Right on.

I use a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 which scans 35mm film and transparencies. It's a 4000dpi scanner with tremendous resolution. It's been replaced by the 5000 (and it's bigger brother the 9000 which also scans medium format, although still at 4000dpi). Other companies also make exceptional film scanners for a reasonable price.

You asked about the 4990 so I told you what I know. If I needed medium format scanned I would go with the Nikon 9000 as a scanner, not a flatbed.

Jul 07 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

yea, i agree, it jest the price. the main reason for me getting a scanner is for school, trying to set up a low grade digital darkroom so i don't have to take a lab class (jest a side note, i took 3 allready, i know i'm missing out, but time wron't let me take a lab)
basicly i'm looking around for a all around scanner, and wait to i become rich and famouse to get the big toys.
thanks for the imput, and giving me things to think about
i try to think twice befor putting down $470.00 on the table
LEE

Jul 07 05 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by robotbones: 
yea, i agree, it jest the price. the main reason for me getting a scanner is for school, trying to set up a low grade digital darkroom so i don't have to take a lab class (jest a side note, i took 3 allready, i know i'm missing out, but time wron't let me take a lab)
basicly i'm looking around for a all around scanner, and wait to i become rich and famouse to get the big toys.
LEE

If that's what you can afford, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  As I mentioned before, a top printer in my area just bought one to scan transparencies and couldn't be more pleased. I saw one medium format piece that he scanned then printed at 30x36 on canvas and it was fabulous. I don't know what precautions Epson has taken to reduce/eliminate film curl (the smaller the film size the more likely it is to curl) but if your mind can be set at ease on that or you don't think it'll be a problem then go for it.

The 4990 can be had at amazon.com for $430 and at B&H for $420. amazon will ship it free (at least they will right now), though, so it might still be cheaper to buy from them.

Jul 07 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

thanks for the input, by looking on what i need, it looks like the one, they like to throw 4x5s shoots are way to keep us on our toes
again thank you
LEE

Jul 07 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

It's perfectly fine up to a point - with 6x6, it prints just fine up to 16x20 with minimal crop.  But that's the limit - any larger and you start to see where it's not as sharp.  There's also ways around the phony DMAx.  I scan twice, once for highlights, once for shadows, and combine in photoshop.

There's a guy who makes a medium format negative carrier for the Epson flatbed scanners - go to http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/h … ginfo.html

It makes a really big improvement, particularly the anti-newton ring glass.  You lose the ability to use digital ice, but frankly it doesn't work so well on the Epson flatbeds, so it's no great loss.

Jul 08 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

Posted by robotbones: 
LEE

then get a good earlier (late model) i have the epson 1650 and it works just fine for scanning images. but also realise a scanner is just a different type of camera, you can also just shoot with the Dcamera and ballanced lighting to make a copy...

Jul 10 05 10:12 am Link