Forums > Critique > OK, I want to see some SERIOUS models only!

Model

Anna Keith

San Antonio, Texas, US

I would appreciate feedback. I'm not interested in fashion work or anything requiring me to be tall - I have booked a few local commercial jobs and would like to pull in more.

I'm currently having a hard time finding good photographers who will work with me without charging an arm and a leg. I know there are photographers who work TF, but I need to figure out how I can draw them in.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 21 10 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

San Francisco, California, US

Kelly Lenahan wrote:
Have at it! I think I am lacking diversity, your opinion is appreciated.
Thank you!
Kelly

Hi Kelly,
   I'm glad that there are people daring to do this at 45 smile.  I think you're a good looking lady.  However, the pictures in your portfolio don't do anything for me at this point.  They don't show any life.  Just a nice looking lady getting pictures taken. 

If you want to be a model, you have to pay the price for it.  What I mean by that is to go out on a limb and let yourself look rediculous to a degree by experimenting and thinking out of the box.

For one thing, you can forget any fashion related work right now, unless there maybe something for catalogs. 

If you're doing this for your self, there are plenty of things to do to make your shots look interesting.  Since you look super conservative, you need some edge to your pictures.  Not saying nudes at all...but you need a add a bit of spice to give yourself a look that people stop on and say what is this?
With 100's of 1000's of models you have no choice but to do that to stand out.  I completely understand inhibition; but you want to be a model and inhibition is practically oppposit of it.

Oct 04 10 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

_MIA wrote:
It would help to know what pictures bring down my port and any other advice I can take. smile

Hi Mia,
  as far as taking down images, I'd suggest the first one on row one and row two and last one on row 1.  The rest look OK.

I'd say keep working it and get more quality work on there.   Keep making dramatic expressions and work on your poses.  Those will for sure make you more viewable.

Oct 04 10 12:29 am Link

Model

Taylor M Madigan

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Me please (:

Oct 05 10 04:22 am Link

Model

Winnie C

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

Hi,

I'm not really sure what I'm suited for as I'm still relatively new to this field.  Sadly I'm not very tall either.  I would definitely appreciate any comments or critique you have for me.

Thanks!!
Kitty

Oct 05 10 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Nicole Canright wrote:
Hey!

I would love to hear what you think of my port: What you like, dislike, what I need improvement on, etc. I've been modeling for about 5 months now.

Thanks a lot!

--Ashley Nicole

Hi Ashley,
   First of all, make sure your images are in portrait mode rather than landscaped.  The landscaped images don't show up well as thumbnails so people may very well pass your images up.

Second, I know you're in early stages in your modeling, so here are some things to do to help yourself out.   
1) make sure your expressions are natural.  In other words don't purte your lips out or do one of those unsightly myspace expressions.  Be confident in your looks as you do have nice looks and pretty eyes.
2) make sure that the photographer knows what he's doing.  If you want to be viewed properly, don't put pictures up that have a lot of lens distortions like you have on there(for example the 2 images that show your head and face a lot closer than the rest of your body, thus causing the distortion)
3) Learn to pose properly.  By that I mean that the pose needs to go along with the expresssion, with the wardrobe, with the concept, with the makeup.  They should all go well together.
4) Since you're not very tall, make sure that the pictures make you look as tall as possible.  If you have pictures taken of you that are full length and the lens was close to your head or face, than you'll look short.  The photographer should try and shoot you from a lower angle (just the complete opposite of the shots from the face or head)
5) lean to be dramatic but reasonably realistic.  Otherwise they look too conjured up.

Anyway, there are more thinks to learn but that should give you a nice start.

-Romel Evans

Oct 12 10 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

C A T H Y     wrote:
I'm a new llama so my port is not strong at all...but I would love to get some feedback to help me enhance my port. Any suggestions?? =P

Hi Cathy,
   don't crouch in your pictures.  Not only does that not look right, it makes you shorter looking.
   I know you're starting out but learn new techniques in posing and expressing yourself.  Should try and figure out how to look taller and less stubby.  Don't face the camera directly with your body, and make sure the figure looks as slim as possible.  Shorter girls will look thicker and thicker is not good for llamaing.
   Your studio work, row 2, last image looks nice, so drop the rest.  You don't need so many portraits. 
   figure out what genre you're good for (probably glamour) and stick to it and get really good at it.

Oct 12 10 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Mezzamene wrote:
I've got some new photos since the first time I got a critique from you.  Just wanna know if I've improved some.  Thanks!

Yes, overall they look better, but try to duplicate them with ones where you have clothes on. smile

Oct 12 10 03:04 am Link

Model

Sammie Cartwright

New York, New York, US

hola I would love a bit of crit.....I never know which are my best photos and tend to top two line all my big jobs...looks more impressive right?????haha!
thanks for your help xxx

Oct 12 10 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

kezzz wrote:
hey darling.
tell me what u think abt my port... i`ve been soft fashion but would like to high end fashion, so tell me what you think.

kez  xxx

Hi Kezzz,
   You look very nice, have nice height and photograph very well indeed.  I would say that you can do editorial work, but get more angular in your poses and ensure you look your height.  For some reason some of the images are tending to make you look shorter.  I do like the expressiveness and the posing overall though.  Work on it and I think you'll be very successful...especially since you're fairly young still...you have 4 years to do well.

Oct 12 10 03:09 am Link

Model

Rosa_Huerta

Sacramento, California, US

I would be delighted to hear you advice.

Oct 12 10 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Casey the Irishman wrote:
Given the fact that you have a lot of experience in the photography industry, I'd def. like to hear your personal opinion.
  Relatively new at this. Not all that content with most of my shots so far.
  Which ones do you think I should leave up or take off? I'm trying to target the best ones so I can actually strive in this career, and not seem like a joke.

Hey Casey,
    Thanks for the compliment.  Just make sure that you don't have multiple images from the same shoot in your portfolio.  You have interesting looks, but should strive to be more expressive and have more unique images in your portfolio.
   Also, try to look taller.  At 5-8 you're not going to do fashion in the terms of big jobs (maybe some local work) unfortunately.  Your real hope should be that you can do some fitness or sports modeling.

Oct 12 10 03:19 am Link

Model

Dillon Rosel

Richmond, Virginia, US

hey, I was just curious to get your oppinion on my port. I've seen your port, looks like you know what your talking about smile

Oct 12 10 03:23 am Link

Model

Jailynn S

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

i owuld be very interested in seeing what your critique is.  Another point of view is always appreciated.  thanks!

Oct 12 10 03:25 am Link

Model

Dillon Rosel

Richmond, Virginia, US

Oct 12 10 03:25 am Link

Model

Kelly Lenahan

San Diego, California, US

Image Designers wrote:
Hi Kelly,
   I'm glad that there are people daring to do this at 45 smile.  I think you're a good looking lady.  However, the pictures in your portfolio don't do anything for me at this point.  They don't show any life.  Just a nice looking lady getting pictures taken. 

If you want to be a llama, you have to pay the price for it.  What I mean by that is to go out on a limb and let yourself look rediculous to a degree by experimenting and thinking out of the box.

For one thing, you can forget any fashion related work right now, unless there maybe something for catalogs. 

If you're doing this for your self, there are plenty of things to do to make your shots look interesting.  Since you look super conservative, you need some edge to your pictures.  Not saying nudes at all...but you need a add a bit of spice to give yourself a look that people stop on and say what is this?
With 100's of 1000's of llamas you have no choice but to do that to stand out.  I completely understand inhibition; but you want to be a llama and inhibition is practically oppposit of it.

Thank you for the feedback... and yes, I am adding some lifestyle soon as I am going after commercial.. at my age no fashion for me;) Thank you!

Oct 12 10 12:07 pm Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

Image Designers wrote:

Hi Cathy,
   don't crouch in your pictures.  Not only does that not look right, it makes you shorter looking.
   I know you're starting out but learn new techniques in posing and expressing yourself.  Should try and figure out how to look taller and less stubby.  Don't face the camera directly with your body, and make sure the figure looks as slim as possible.  Shorter girls will look thicker and thicker is not good for modeling.
   Your studio work, row 2, last image looks nice, so drop the rest.  You don't need so many portraits. 
   figure out what genre you're good for (probably glamour) and stick to it and get really good at it.

Great advice! Will work on that - Thank you! smile

Oct 12 10 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Chantaille Elise wrote:
Love to hear your advice.

Hi Chantalille,
  Finally I got to your review.  You're certainly a pretty girl and have the right expressions and seem to pose well.  I think your height is the only thing that will keep you from getting into the fashion world on the grander scale if all things were equal.  The biggest problem you'll face, even if you were tall enough is that the market is saturated with great models.  That's not to say you wouldn't find a nich somewhere, but not being in NYC also has logistical problems associated that would get in the way of success for you. 

Its my feeling that you would be better off doing the smaller markets, and possibly doing more lifestyle and commercial work.   To make the big time fashion, you not only have to have the skills which you seem to possess by some degree, but you have to have the x-factor which is very subjective and one must be lucky being in the right place at the right time.  Finally, it won't hurt if you still have your heart in fashionland that you try out an agency such as Wilhelmina which caters to shorter models.  You never know...

Glamour would be another place you could be very marketable at depending on how well you can work the sexy thing.

Oct 15 10 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

CarissaTurner wrote:
Hey,
After having a look at your portfolio I'd love your feedback on mine. I especially like the 4th picture with the motorcycle - the rays of light coming down drew me to it. There's also a blonde model on the last page of your portfolio with her hair everywhere, I just think its a really beautiful shot.
I'm fairly new to the modelling world & am looking for critique from a pair of fresh eyes I guess. So would like to know what you think & would like to be told straight if you don't like my work so far.
If you could send me a tag or PM to let me know if you reply please?
Thanks
Carissa

Hi Carissa,
  I'm very impressed with your work for only being on here for a few months.  You have the it factor and it shows.  I, as a viewer, very much enjoyed looking at your work.  You have very good qualities in terms of features, height and photogenics.  You're doing well posing and expressing yourelf.  Being 21, you have one year to make it into the fashion world, but it may be too late.  I would give it a try anyway if I were you.       
  Just add a few more fashion shots to your portfolio showing of your basic skills (expression and posing) with high end wardrobe (find a good stylist to work with).  You've found good photographers to work with obviously so stick with them and try to get more fashion oriented shots.
  You'll still find commercial work very easily I think and I would certainly push for that.  Although commercial work is not as chic as fashion work, it pays better and has more longitivity.  I hope you do very well.

Oct 15 10 09:26 am Link

Model

Jenna Lauray

Salem, Utah, US

I would love your opinion even though I am 25, which is about 60 in model years. Modeling comes natural to me and I believe if I put in a lot of time and effort, I could go somewhere with it. But maybe not and I'm fine with that because I love chocolate, ice cream, cake, and cookies too much and I don't want to abandon them for too long

Oct 15 10 03:12 pm Link

Model

x Nikki x

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom

ha ha I see most of the above read the bit about no childish, myspace type requests, it's like when castings state PM only and then has 20 messeges saying me,me I'm interested. Is it me or does that drive you nuts!

Anyway I've just upgraded up account and have lots of photo space, please could you give me some advice of what I should include more of and what Ishould take out. Also do you see a clear direction that you feel I should be going, if it's home then fair enough be as brutal as necessary but try and be constructive as I want to improve.

Thanks Nikki

Oct 15 10 03:54 pm Link

Model

Maggie Mae Schorsch

Houston, Texas, US

Hello
I would love your opinion on what I need to add in my port to make it better. Also I am a lot older than other models...is there a future for a 34 year old tattooed model?

Oct 15 10 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

MichelleL wrote:
I sort of stepped out of the modeling world for the past year so I could probably use a good critique of what I need to add and what my photographers should be doing with me. My focuses have been towards swimwear, lingerie, pin-up, glamour, and artistic. I am short at 5'2" so I have no desire to pursue fashion. Thanks in advanced!

Hi Michelle, 
   First off, you need a change of your profile.  It's way too restrictive sounding and over the top...you'll scare people away when you keep saying (I don't do this or that, etc.).  I noticed your last tag was in 2009 which supports this. 
   Second, you have a nice figure, but as far as being photogenic, I would venture to say that you're not.  You can improve on this by knowing how to angle your face correctly to the camera and try to look as tall as possible by ensuring that the photographer is experienced enough to know how to do that.  Right now you look way older than your age shows which also could be a problem for you.  Again knowing how to pose your face right could help some. 
   Look at it from an outside person's point of view.  They come to your port and read the very long profile that is full of restrictions.  They might leave right then, but if they decide to look into your portfolio to see if you're worth the trouble, they'll see someone who looks older and tired.  There's no incentive for them to go further.  You need to smile more and show better work.

Oct 15 10 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Tilli A wrote:
Me pretty please? xx

Hi Tilli,
   You have a pretty face and great looking skin tones.  Since you're already represented, I assume you're here to know how you can improve your marketability.  If so, then I'd start by toning up.   A model needs to have a look of health all around.  You do look quite healthy, but you also need to drop a little bit of weight (I'd say about 20 pounds) and really start working out vigorously to take yourself to the next level.  The leaner meaner look will also give you a natural edginess which is good to have for a model.
  Above this, you need to get rid of much of your images and star to show some real model basic skills (posing and expressiveness).  Without these skills your portfolio will look like a family album of a pretty girl smiling but nothing else.

Oct 16 10 05:01 am Link

Model

Tilli A

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Image Designers wrote:
Hi Tilli,
   You have a pretty face and great looking skin tones.  Since you're already represented, I assume you're here to know how you can improve your marketability.  If so, then I'd start by toning up.   A llama needs to have a look of health all around.  You do look quite healthy, but you also need to drop a little bit of weight (I'd say about 20 pounds) and really start working out vigorously to take yourself to the next level.  The leaner meaner look will also give you a natural edginess which is good to have for a llama.
  Above this, you need to get rid of much of your images and star to show some real llama basic skills (posing and expressiveness).  Without these skills your portfolio will look like a family album of a pretty girl smiling but nothing else.

oh wow, that was such a good critique so personalised, thank you so much for everything!!

Oct 16 10 05:09 am Link

Model

Gretchen JEAN

Tampa, Florida, US

Funny how you started off the topic by stating you didn't want anyone saying "me please", "yes", "ok" and short replies, but that's what everyone did anyway.

Oct 16 10 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Nora Ouamani wrote:
This seems like an awesome critique... I dont really have a specific question just a general critic on my work as a whole =] Thanks a ton!! I appreiciate it

Hi Nora,
   you have nice looks and pretty good figure with a nice height of 5-8.  However, you look uncomfortable in some of the shots.  I'm not sure if you really are uncomfortable but your face makes it look like you are.  Almost like you don't want to be there smile
   You also seem to be in big need of knowing how to pose and express yourself properly.  I'd suggest a full length mirror and a lot of time spent on seeing how you look when you're posing and emoting.  Take an outsider's point of view when looking at yourself.  Would you, as an outsider be thrilled to look at the person in the mirror?  Why or why not?  Work on perfecting how you look, the angles you look best in, the placement of your hands, the smile or lack of, the eyes, lips and the whole facial expression.  Do you look chunky in the images or do you look elegant.  Sometimes the mirror might not be what we need.  Have someone (a friend) work with you and take shots of you with a digital camera.  View yourself critically.  Don't be happy with anything and try to improve on everything.
   I believe you can do well, but here are somethings for you to improve on. 
1) commit to the look you're going for and execute it. 
2) focus your eyes on something other than the lens.  Make sure your head is turned to the direction you're focusing on
3) wash your face with light.
4) Be aware of the angle your body and ensure it makes you tall and elegant.
5) elongate your neck as much as possible
6) turn your hands so the sides of the hands are pointing to the lens rather than the flat of your hands.

many more things to learn as a model, but those are some of the things to remember.

Oct 16 10 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Gretchen JEAN wrote:
Funny how you started off the topic by stating you didn't want anyone saying "me please", "yes", "ok" and short replies, but that's what everyone did anyway.

I know...people have a difficulty reading.  I've pointed it out some places but feel like a school teacher sometimes.  Some actually take the time to read instead of the spoiled "me" or "me too"

Oct 16 10 06:57 am Link

Model

Gretchen JEAN

Tampa, Florida, US

Image Designers wrote:

I know...people have a difficulty reading.  I've pointed it out some places but feel like a school teacher sometimes.  Some actually take the time to read instead of the spoiled "me" or "me too"

It's all about receiving and not giving

Oct 16 10 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Gretchen JEAN wrote:

It's all about receiving and not giving

Yup!

Oct 16 10 07:29 am Link

Model

JamesTawil

Austin, Texas, US

I'll bite if you're still doing this.
I'm thinking I need more expressions, just don't know what kind.

Oct 16 10 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Samantha1987 wrote:
Hi!

I just added my portfolio one the site, so i'm curious what you think....it's just a start!

I had 1 payed assignement (applebee), i would like to get some more payed assignements.

Let me know what you think!

Hi Samantha,
   You're a llama with an attitude smile.  I just got done reading your profile.  First off, fix the spelling errors.  It's Paid, and not payed, which is quite understandable since english isn't your first language. 
  I think you're exceptionally pretty and should do well since you photograph quite well.  I'm surprised you don't have more images and would have thought that a lot of prospective photographers would be calling you.  Perhaps they have a hard time with a woman with an attitude, which I always like. 
  Anyway, you naturally seem to have what it takes.  I don't know what your real height is (and it's not 10'7" lol), but if you're tall enough (5'9" or more), I would think you'd do well in a fashion agency.  The only thing in your way is that you crossed the 22 year old line which is when llamas are considered too old for big time (NYC) fashion industry, but I'm sure in Holland you'll find a lot of demand.
  Keep working on your skills of posing and expressivenss even though you definitely have the x-factor for editorial work.  I think you certainly can be very successful.

Oct 16 10 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Brookelyn Nicole wrote:
yes please smile

Yes please what?  I can't give you a full review unless you speak your mind.  Just doing the lazy way doesn't cut it.

Please refine the question and I'll answer you when I see it.

Oct 16 10 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Jessica Fae Robinson wrote:
I would love to hear what you have to say. I'm a new model with little experience and I would like some insight from someone who has experience.

Hi Jessica,
  it certainly looks as you  do good makeup.  I think though as a model you're really going to have to understand that your shape is a big part of everything.  You need to probably drop about 30-40 pounds before your site becomes more viewable.  But above that you also need to tone up, so do a lot of weight work and probably get together with a trainer.  I think with your awesome height and pretty face you should do well, but first thing is first.
  While you're getting the weight issue down, start working on your basic skills and I think being 21 you still have a chance to do some fashion work if you take care of the shape thing right away.  For now forget the glamour and nude stuff...work on what would pay you well which are fashion and especially commercial work.

Oct 16 10 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

goddessangie wrote:
i would love the advice! i have not gotten many opinions overall!

Hi Angie,
   You're certainly a pretty girl with a great figure.  However, as I said in the header, I'm not doing nude and fetish models.  I also want to ask you, how are you going to explain your nude work to your son when he grows up and either he or his friends see his mom fully nude in pictures?  I think you should really think about that.
   Anyway, I'm sorry but if you had more images of non-nude work I would go for it, but the nude work masks any creativity and real skills for a model for me to think about.  In other words, there's no way of saying how you can work the dress smile.

Oct 16 10 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

E M E R S O N wrote:
I'm kind of lost in my direction. I know that a lot of people have told me commercial modeling will be my best option, but I would love to know what you think. I'm sorry that there isn't a lot to work with currently, but if you can give me any tips and/or opinions that would be great.

Hi Emerson,
   First off, although you're a pretty girl, you need to drop some weight.  You're only 17, which goes to your favor.  However, I have to be honest about modeling.  You don't sound like you're happy with people saying you're more of a commercial model.  Well, if somehow you're really bent to doing fashion, you'll have a hard time qualifying with the 5'7" height.  However, Wilhelmina modeling agency will certainly look at you since they specialize in shorter models.  However, your weight is another issue.  Models have to wear small dresses that the designers create.   Unless of course you're up for   size modeling, which would be fine with your weight.  I'm not sure if Wilhelmina does   sizes, but you can always ask. 
  Next, which is your basic skills, you need to work a lot to develope them.  By basic skills I mean posing and expressing yourself properly and consistently. 
  Also, find a good MUA to work with I don't see anything in your portfolio that shows makeup work.  So, find someone dependable and work with them and start gathering some nice wardrobe for shoots.

Oct 16 10 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

Darious Watson wrote:
I would love to know!! smile keep it real Please

Hi Darious,
  First off drop the beard since it doesn't do well in fashion, which really is only one of two real places to go for a male model.  The other genre is commercial modeling.
  Next, paint a few other expressions on your face than just the angry or serious look.  You won't make it with just one look that's for sure.  The more looks you can show the better off you are.
  I know you're involved with a lot of activities, but modeling is a full time venture, so if you want to get ahead in it, you'll need to put in the time to research and work on your poses and expressions.
  Also, get yourself some suits and perhaps rent some tuxidos to show off your looks in formal attire.

Oct 16 10 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Image Designers

h a n n a h MARiE wrote:
Tips. Critique. Something nice to say,  I wanna hear it all.

Hi Hannah,
   I'm curious, why with all the very nice images in your portfolio, you chose that one to be your avatar?  I'd say drop it completely out of your portfolio and use some of the other ones that you have...probably use the second one on the 5th row. 
  Way too many headshots and not enough 3/4 or full length shots.    I see you as a commercial model which should get you good compensation.  But when I look at your portfolio, it makes me think about what you're trying to hide by not having more full length and 3/4 shots.  I doubt that you have a body issue, so I would think you're posing is suspect.
  Either way, you're 20 years old so you have a couple of years on you at least for commercial work....probably even more, but you need to get going.  Get some good photographers and MUAs to work with and crank out some good shots that you can take to the agency with you.  I know you're just 5'6", but commercial/life style work at a place like Wilhelmina agency might be the answer for you.

Oct 17 10 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Albany, California, US

Oct 17 10 12:09 am Link

Model

E M E R S O N

Tucson, Arizona, US

Image Designers wrote:
Hi Emerson,
   First off, although you're a pretty girl, you need to drop some weight.  You're only 17, which goes to your favor.  However, I have to be honest about modeling.  You don't sound like you're happy with people saying you're more of a commercial model.  Well, if somehow you're really bent to doing fashion, you'll have a hard time qualifying with the 5'7" height.  However, Wilhelmina modeling agency will certainly look at you since they specialize in shorter models.  However, your weight is another issue.  Models have to wear small dresses that the designers create.   Unless of course you're up for   size modeling, which would be fine with your weight.  I'm not sure if Wilhelmina does   sizes, but you can always ask. 
  Next, which is your basic skills, you need to work a lot to develope them.  By basic skills I mean posing and expressing yourself properly and consistently. 
  Also, find a good MUA to work with I don't see anything in your portfolio that shows makeup work.  So, find someone dependable and work with them and start gathering some nice wardrobe for shoots.

I didn't realize I was as big as a plus sized model. Thanks for the critique.

Oct 20 10 06:13 pm Link