Forums > Photography Talk > glossy vs matte?

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Just wondering which you prefer.

Jul 07 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

A few years agop I attended a lecture given in Vancouver by Ralph Gibson. He was asked about what he did with his b+w negs. Remember that Gibson:

1. Uses film.
2. Publishes many books.

He said he never scanned his negatives but always went for scanning his own b+w prints. I would guess that Gibson would have one of those flatbeds where you can a whole fridge! I routinely scan my b+w prints for reproduction in magazines, newspapers and to put in CDs and then go and have giclées made.  Glossy is a pain to scan. But Ilford or any  other semi-mat (that is pretty mat) will scan beautifully. Pearl finishes (in good detailed scans) will pick up the pearl texture and that is no good.

I think that the extra glossy look (even when they were Cibachromes) make any photo look too glossy  and thus cheap. If you use photo paper then air dry glossy. If you use a digital camera and print on Epsons I would go for the mat or semi mat.

Jul 07 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

I've always prefered matte.  Especially for framing (behind glass) or putting into sleaves of a book, but even out in the open, I just don't like the "glare" from glossy prints.

But the average person seems to like shiny pics.

Jul 07 05 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Proctizzle

Gilbert, Arizona, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 
I've always prefered matte.  Especially for framing (behind glass) or putting into sleaves of a book, but even out in the open, I just don't like the "glare" from glossy prints.

Same here.

Jul 07 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I've never understood the appeal of glossy prints.  The glare just makes them hard to see.  Even matte RC papers are often glossier than I'd like. 

Jul 07 05 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

I agree too.

Jul 07 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I love the look of Canvas if i could afford it i would use it on alot a stuff..
If i can find it ill use matt!!
If i cant ill use anything!

(:---

Jul 07 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Definately matte.

John

Jul 07 05 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

For my own work I print on two papers exclusively: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 and Hahnemuhle Torchon. Both are matt; the Photo Rag is relatively smooth and the Torchon is textured. I recommend anyone who does their own printing to try them out.

Having said that, the Epson R1800 prints glossies you've got to see to believe.

Jul 07 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Joey, go get all your portfolio and other pictures printed on glossy....there's more "bling" to them that way..  ;-)

JP

Jul 07 05 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by alexwh: 
A few years agop I attended a lecture given in Vancouver by Ralph Gibson. He was asked about what he did with his b+w negs. Remember that Gibson:

1. Uses film.
2. Publishes many books.

He said he never scanned his negatives but always went for scanning his own b+w prints. I would guess that Gibson would have one of those flatbeds where you can a whole fridge!   

most likely high end drum scans from fiber prints- a lot of clients that I print for go that route...

Jul 07 05 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Really though, it depends on what you're printing. Judging by your portfolio (highly saturated colors), glossy or pearl would probably be more appropriate than matt.

Jul 07 05 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

It really depends on the type of image that you are printing, color, B&W, etc.----and what your client prefers.

Jul 07 05 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
Just wondering which you prefer.

I prefer different papers for different printwork having gone through several hundred dollars worth of different types, not all white is the same white like differences in white ballance settings.
i preffer the Ilford light pearl for 99% as it retains the sharpness yet doesn't have the gloss differential that the super glossy epson papers do have but with glossy images such as auto's such as the one of eleanor ill post soon enough.
needless to say if the image will benefit from the slight softness of a matt paper ill use that or say if i want it to appear more like a watercolor painting...
there is no white ink so anything in an image that is white will be strictly the paper itself.

i have devised a 1-10 scale for the different papers i have used going by a 4 degree system, whiteness, texture, gloss & weight so when i have the thought of another paper that may work better for a certain image i have a refference point to go by.

in addition i use an EPSON 2200 with gloss black ink and dont bother with the matt black because im not purging it to swap them, so i did just a few weeks ago buy a used 1280 and am still trying to get it to 100% nozzle check, cleaning fluid is on order thou, ill use the 1280 for matt & claycast paper printwork. i proof with a 740 & 760 using ceap ink but i have software to profile so there pretty accurate for my needs.

Jul 07 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Star

to break it down,
matt paper loses 10% of the focus and 30% of the color
but
glossy gets finger prints on it

I choose....

Jul 07 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

Matte for most, if I need something shiny, pearl

Jul 07 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Luster for portraits, glossy for model pics.

Paul

Jul 08 05 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Matte for me. Endura Metallic is a close 2nd these days.

Jul 08 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Matte for me. Endura Metallic is a close 2nd these days.

Jul 08 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

My preferred portfolio print paper is Epson Radiant White Watercolor Paper (a lightly textured matte-finish art paper) in my Epson Stylus Photo 2200. It's pretty expensive, though, so for "everyday" prints, or prints I do not want to have any texture, I use Epson Enhanced Matte Paper.

When I need glossy, I use Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper. I haven't used any of their semi-glossy papers, as I find that with my own work the image itself will tell me pretty quickly whether it should be printed matte or glossy and I don't seem to ever say, "That should be semi-glossy." I have also used Calumet Photo's "Brilliant" line of glossy papers and have gotten good results, but I tend to stick with the Epson stuff just for consistency.

M

Jul 08 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

Matte paper with a pprint from the lab. Glossy screws with the blacks and the shine makes it hard to see all that dark void.

Jul 08 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Karen Wade

Naperville, Illinois, US

My personal choice is matte fiber paper for b+w prints.  It just seems to hold the black detail better and gives it a warmth - especially for toning.

Glossy definately for color prints if it has a lot of lighting (like with street & building signs in night photography) or high saturation of colors. 

Jul 08 05 10:40 pm Link

Model

Good point Star.

I prefer Matte.

I print on "soft gloss", which is less glossy than "Glossy" but has better color than Matte.

Jul 10 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

ThruMyLens Photography

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I almost consider this question like asking "do you prefer color or B&W?", or "do you shoot with zooms or primes?".

Canvas, Matte, Watercolor, Luster, Pearl, Semi-gloss, and gloss all have their place. The final paper selection is as much a part of the creative process as any other step. It significantly impacts the final rendition of the image. There is no right or wrong. Each has it's place.

The "glossy" family of papers (glossy, luster, pearl, etc.) have excellent saturation and contrast and retain their sharpness. I really like those for certain wildlife, flower, and "high-impact" shots.

The matte papers seem more moody to me. Generally, I prefer these for subdued tones and B&W prints (though not always).

I am only starting to play with the watercolor papers, but I think I will be experimenting with them a bit to see how their muted colors and softer look work for different subjects.

Jul 10 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I like glossy. My photo professor likes matte. Therefore for the sake of my grade, matte trumps glossy.

Jul 12 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

FarrenoFerguson

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

glossy sucks arse....hate it...

Jul 22 05 11:45 am Link