Forums > General Industry > Selling Autographed Pictures?

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

I've gotten some e-mails concerning someone wanting to buy some pictures of mine autographed. But, I dont want to take a chance of these people selling my pictures to someone else or making copies and selling them ... is there a way I can write some type of agreement that mentions that they can not sell my pictures nor make copies and sell those to other people?

Jul 07 05 09:30 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I sell signed prints of Myself and I have never had an issue w/ anyone selling it or making a copy.kinda hard to resell it when it's got a personalization on the print rather then just a signature.
xxx
MP

Jul 07 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

This is probably best discussed with the rightful copyright holder of the images to extend printing for re-sale. 

If that is you, then it is an ICB (Individual Case Basis).  If not, then your cart is in front of the horse...

Jul 07 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It's a great money maker! Internet models and Import models do it a lot.  If you sign it, then a buyer is LESS likely to scan, photoshop and then sell it. In fact, I'm a collector who supports models by buying their pictures when I'm not able to shoot with them.

Remember that I asked you if you wanted to make a good income running your own website that you would have complete control of? Well I can help you set up a shopping cart for people to buy pictures if you like!  I'll give you a better deal and service than Paypal too! Because I have the ability to provide hosting, help in building, promotion, and credit card acceptance, I'm able to do this for other people who wish to be on a team that has FUN and makes money too! 

There are ways to protect your images. You should also consult with the photographer if you don't have the complete copyright to sell the images before you do this.

Jul 08 05 12:02 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I get thos emails all the time. Usually, I quote a price for the prints and they go away. Most of these guys don't really want to pay.

Before selling prints, make assure you have the copyright holder's permission.  I don't really think you have anymore to work about selling prints than you do just posting you pictures online. It's a copyright infringement for them to reproduce them images either way. Concievably, they could copy them but what would they do with them? It's not like there's a hot market for bootlegged unknown net model pictures.

Jul 08 05 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by theda: 
I get thos emails all the time. Usuallym, I quote a price for the prints and they go away. Most of these giys don't really want to pay.

Before selling prints, make assure you have the copyright holder's permission.  I don't really think you have anymore to work about selling prints than you do just posting you pictures online. It's a copyright infringement for them to reproduce them images either way. Concievably, they could copy them but what would they do with them? It's not like there's a hot market for bootlegged unknown net model pictures. 

Hi Theda, it depends on the price plus how easy it is to buy it for them.  When I go to the Import car shows, I plan on spending at least $100 on buying signed pictures and calendars from my friends. It how many of these models make setting up a table at these shows worthwhile. Also Many glamour nude AND Non-Nude models have shopping carts on their websites with pictures, calendars, plus many other items for sale. 

You need to find the market, it is there! I personally know models who are doing it! Also I shoot some of the pictures and give the model most of the proceeds if she uses my web hosting and credit card service.  It isn't for the lazy! It takes a model who wants to learn the webmastering business, and enjoys working as a TEAM with the right people.

Jul 08 05 02:48 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
Hi Theda, it depends on the price plus how easy it is to buy it for them.  When I go to the Import car shows, I plan on spending at least $100 on buying signed pictures and calendars from my friends. It how many of these models make setting up a table at these shows worthwhile. Also Many glamour nude AND Non-Nude models have shopping carts on their websites with pictures, calendars, plus many other items for sale. 

You need to find the market, it is there! 

I know a lot of people that offer pictures for sale, but not many people who sell more than a few here and there. Someday I may set up a shopping cart anyway. Just to see.

Jul 08 05 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 

You need to find the market, it is there! 

I know a lot of people that offer pictures for sale, but not many people who sell more than a few here and there. Someday I may set up a shopping cart anyway. Just to see.

Yes, it does take some marketing OR being at a location. If you go to my http://www.myspace.com/bellaimages and look at my pictures posted there ... you will see me with three of the models at an Import Car Show in San Mateo that I was at.  These models are on MySpace too.  They sell quite a few pictures at $10 to $20 a shot! They are very busy all day. It's not easy dealing with crowds, but they hang in there! I could just order from their website, but I like to go and say "Hi!" (No, I'm not a stalker GWC!) LOL 

But if you or Amber who started this thread decide to set up a shopping cart .. or need any help with a website ... just e-mail me, and I can either help you or put you in contact with someone who is reliable, good at what they do, and enthusiastic as I am about this industry!

Take care and have a good night!

Jul 08 05 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

ThiS is a great idea in thought,sell like hotcakes!!
But ya gottta have legal right to sell the photo..

Its a whole new ballgame..to get total control of image rights!!

especially when ya start sellin them

Jul 08 05 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
ThiS is a great idea in thought,sell like hotcakes!!
But ya gottta have legal right to sell the photo..

Its a whole new ballgame..to get total control of image rights!!

especially when ya start sellin them

You're right Hugh! 

I'm not into promoting any models who are selling images that they don't have the rights to. These models better have some sort of agreement with the photographers. I do see where many of the photographers are there at these shows too, and they are benefiting from the proceeds.

If I'm the one who shot it, I tend to be very generous towards those that help me with promotions of my website business too!

Jul 08 05 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Oh,  there is a big demand for the shots of me.  My human gets jealous but everyone like a picture of a hot cheezy guy and cute dog.  We need more cheezy females.... Hmmmm...

I wonder were we could find some?.... I wonder?....

Jul 08 05 07:06 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Beware of selling your signature (autograph).

Jul 08 05 10:22 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by Sara Green: 

Why would you warn of this, Sara?

Charlie

Jul 08 05 10:25 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by CharliesImages: 

Posted by Sara Green: 

Charlie

An FBI warning "While it is impossible to definitely estimate the percentage of forged memorabilia, most industry experts concede that over half of the autographed memorabilia is forged. In fact, some cooperating subjects and memorabilia experts believe that up to ninety percent of the memorabilia on the market is forged."

Granted, you could argue that this isn't likely because we're not John Wayne (etc.), but this community has generally poo-pooed copyright infringement, etc., so just replace singature with photo: "copying your signature, using your signature without your permission, selling your signature and collecting profits without your permission and without any payout"

There are other warnings (that are also more likely) about how your signature could be misused, indentity theft (it's happened to me), etc.

Jul 08 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

I am not sure about this one.
If I buy an autograph photo, lets say of Michael Jordan, I can sell it anytime I want to. Not sure about agreements that would prevent another party from reselling your image.

To prevent fraud:
Perhaps if you made a letter of authenticity and include that with every autograph picture sold. Then state on your web-site (if you have one) that all your photos will come with such letter. Maybe, that will cut down on fraud. With modeling I don't know. For sports stars, I wouldn't buy an autograph unless it had a letter of authenticity with it.

Robert

Jul 08 05 10:39 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

At least 2 acting mentors of mine have advised me to NOT give away/sell signed pictures (acting or modeling). Just like with websites, there are squatters, picking up anyone and everyone's pictures, hoping someone throws the spaghetti against the wall, some of it sticks (meaning the person becomes famous) then they run to the first computer they find to hop on Ebay and sell sell sell.

Therefore, it's USUALLY my policy to only give signed pictures to those closest to me and then I personalize the signatures.

Jul 08 05 03:09 pm Link

Model

modelmayhemmodel

New York, New York, US

I have my internet manager take care of all that junky stuff.

Jul 08 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Oh,  there is a big demand for the shots of me.  My human gets jealous but everyone like a picture of a hot cheezy guy and cute dog.  We need more cheezy females.... Hmmmm...

I wonder were we could find some?.... I wonder?....

Your pictures are popular, but the photographer still needs a model release from you!  LOL

Jul 08 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Sara Green: 

Posted by CharliesImages: 

Posted by Sara Green: 

Charlie

An FBI warning "While it is impossible to definitely estimate the percentage of forged memorabilia, most industry experts concede that over half of the autographed memorabilia is forged. In fact, some cooperating subjects and memorabilia experts believe that up to ninety percent of the memorabilia on the market is forged."

Granted, you could argue that this isn't likely because we're not John Wayne (etc.), but this community has generally poo-pooed copyright infringement, etc., so just replace singature with photo: "copying your signature, using your signature without your permission, selling your signature and collecting profits without your permission and without any payout"

There are other warnings (that are also more likely) about how your signature could be misused, indentity theft (it's happened to me), etc.

There is possible fraud in the industry, that much is true! Identity theft is also a major problem!  But the fraud will happen only when there is some value to your image, and the ID theft can happen in many other ways that are even easier than from a signed photo.

Jul 08 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by U240Robert: 
I am not sure about this one.
If I buy an autograph photo, lets say of Michael Jordan. I can sell it anytime I want to. Not sure about agreements that would prevent another party from reselling your image.

To prevent fraud:
Perhaps if you made a letter of authenticity and include that with every autograph picture sold. Then state on your web-site (if you have one) that all your photos will come with such letter. Maybe, that will cut down on fraud. With modeling I don't know. For sports stars, I wouldn't buy an autograph unless it had a letter of authenticity with it.

Robert

Excellent points!  I buy the autographed pictures with NO intention of reselling. They make it out to me using my real name.  Some models who personally know me will write things that are meaningful to me only!  LOL 

I don't think most of the guys who buy pictures at these Import car shows have intent to duplicate or sell the photos. Just a hunch that they are like me.

Jul 08 05 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Aimercat: 
At least 2 acting mentors of mine have advised me to NOT give away/sell signed pictures (acting or modeling). Just like with websites, there are squatters, picking up anyone and everyone's pictures, hoping someone throws the spaghetti against the wall, some of it sticks (meaning the person becomes famous) then they run to the first computer they find to hop on Ebay and sell sell sell.

Therefore, it's USUALLY my policy to only give signed pictures to those closest to me and then I personalize the signatures.

I understand that "thinking" but you will not be able to retreive every single penny from sales of product with your images on it no matter how hard you try. So why not get money for pictures now? Plus it's added promotion when your "fans" get to have a personalized picture from you.  I work with a lot of "almost famous" bands and they LOVE their fans! When I manage bands, I print up hundreds of icopies of their promo shot on cheap paper so that the band members can autograph! The audience goes wild! wink

Jul 08 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Exoart

Modesto, California, US

A couple of thoughts:

Always use a blue sharpy when signing - black sharpy is acid based and will yellow the photo over time.

While some models make some money off of internet sales of signed/autographed photos (obviously amounts very by popularity and such) - many make far more effcienat sales & profit at something like:
http://www.hotimportnights.com
http://www.glamourcon.com
(to name two in different genres)
Why? The guys like to buy photos of beauties they have met, they get a smile,  akind word, a photo and a signature all at one time - plus it assures them the model actually signed the photo herself.

It's true that the model needs authorization (technically in written form) of the copyright holder to sell the prints, even individually. It's easy for the copyright holder to grant that selected right and reserve the rest.

If you sign a pic and sell it to someone and he turns around and resells it - you have no recourse and no claim. That's fair market - you got yours up front.

Sara Green: While we are in the era of identity theft, 90% of models use a stage name or alias or nom de plume (or whatever you want to call it) - so the signature is irrelevant. Secondly prints are normally signed using a sharpy type pen, looks like a crayon when someone attempts to duplicate it. And last - don't sign prints using your legal signature (as on your checks) create a stylized signature specifically for autographs.

modelmayhemmodel: I assume you many the legal and fulfillment part of it - not that the manager is signing them :-)

Aimercat: if you get caught doing something news worthy, they'll come after you - selling or not selling autographed images won't really matter. If you sold it to begin with you got your money upfront. Enjoy your new found fame, enjoy the trappings and don't worry about the few bucks traded on ebay of old photos.

Overall, seems there are two choices:
1) Sell your signed prints and make your $50 dollars and risk some guy knocking them off an making $50 too.

2) don't sell your signed prints and don't make your $50

Jul 08 05 04:49 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

"To prevent fraud:
Perhaps if you made a letter of authenticity and include that with every autograph picture sold. Then state on your web-site (if you have one) that all your photos will come with such letter. Maybe, that will cut down on fraud. With modeling I don't know. For sports stars, I wouldn't buy an autograph unless it had a letter of authenticity with it."

That's what I wanted to do.

Jul 08 05 07:40 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

I have talked to some of the photographers I've worked about selling my pictures and they are fine with it as long as I split the earnings with them.

Jul 08 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by CO Model Amber: 
I have talked to some of the photographers I've worked about selling my pictures and they are fine with it as long as I split the earnings with them.

Hmmm...Brings up a good point for you and others to consider, as earnings are different than profit.

Those of us close to Hollywood are keenly aware that exact specifics need to be outlined to fend off creative accounting that lends huge advantage to one party based on costs vs. earnings entered to defray showing profit. Something to think about.

More importantly, when $$$ are exchanged one should not enter an agreement with any sort of flippancy or disregard to what might happen down the road.

The reason is simple.  Should you became uber famous and the signature on the picture became highly valued, profits could be buried against earnings allowing one to reap substantial reward while the other is left holding an empty bag.

Moral:  Don't rely on someone else holding your bag!

Jul 08 05 09:58 pm Link

Model

Jax

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have different pictures the fan could pick from (photographer gives me rights on certain photos) and have a 'numbered certificate' to go along with it. I sign the photo with the name that is requested lol, with a blue sharpie. I guess I did pretty good before reading this thread;p

Difference is, I dont charge for my pics w/ autographs. And if it ever came down to my stuff being put on ebay to make money, Id be one happy camper! Of course this will be changing soon (free pics), because Im getting prepared to go to the next level of my hopeful career;] Ive just been honored that someone would request something like this from me in the first place;]

Jul 10 05 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I know a photographer working in NC, and SC. that supplies a lot of prints to adult dancers, that resells them in the  clubs. He gets half of the gross sales, and says it's worth while.

I have never tried this with my models, but I personnaly think it is workable, and a good deal for all involved.

Jul 11 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Excuse my spelling.  I should have stayed in bed today

Jul 11 05 01:31 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

This is great info to know since I'm going to start selling signed pictures at the next convention I go to.

Jul 11 05 04:01 pm Link

Model

Bari

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Write TO "person's name who it is for" etc..
Then your signature, No one else is going to buy it with it being addressed to someone else's name.

Jul 11 05 05:53 pm Link