Forums > General Industry > what makes you send out a friend request

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

that's it, just interested in people's motivation,
especially friends requests from photographer to photographer and model to model...

also, how many times do you check your images a day for comments?

Star (the comment whore)

Jul 07 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

ILLIXIT

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

When im captivated by the persons expression, but slightly too lazy to leave a thought~ @ the moment... >wink  oXXXo

Jul 07 05 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Posted by ILLIXIT: 
When im captivated by the persons expression, but slightly too lazy to leave a thought~ @ the moment... >wink  oXXXo

yes,  When do we get remotes for MM ?

Jul 07 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

My current policy is to send a request to everyone I have actually met (though this may change after tomorrow night) but I accept friend requests from everyone.  If I see someone I'd like to work with, I'll mark her or him in my favorites, with the intention of tagging or messaging later.  If I like a portfolio, I leave a comment on the best photo.  If I really like a portfolio, I'll leave 2 comments and maybe a tag.  And I check about daily for comments on my photos.  Sometimes less.

Yeah, it's more than you asked for, but I feel I've earned it by leaving you 3 comments!  smile

Jul 07 05 11:14 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Posted by Star: 
that's it, just interested in people's motivation,
especially friends requests from photographer to photographer and model to model...

also, how many times do you check your images a day for comments?

Star (the comment whore)

When I send a friend request, its because I'm impressed with the persons work and 8 times of 10 I leave a tag and comments, depends on how lazy I feel at the moment..
Thats what drives me to do that.  8o)

Jul 07 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oh crap! I guess that makes me a "tag whore" because I'll leave a tag for just about anyone, but if I really like their look, then I'll send a friend request and email to them.

Don't really look at my own photos that much, but if I had to guess, it would be once a week or so...

Jul 07 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

Since I just joined MM I'm still trying to figure out the dynamic here...

I receieved a bunch of friend requests from random people and I'm not sure what to do with them. Some have not messaged me or tagged... It seems kinda odd to send a friend request without even introducing yourself.

I'm treating this like I do other social-networking sites (Tribe, Friendster, MySpace) where I really only add people I know (or have at least chatted with) to my friends list.

Jul 07 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Friends requests go to people I've actually met or worked with.  I'll accept them from people I'd work with given the opportunity, or who have interesting work.  I'll decline them from people who have 5,000 friends (implying they hit the button on everyone without actually looking at the page) or really mediocre work.  But I do wish more people leaving friends requests would also tag and let us know what their thoughts are... do they want to shoot, is it a form of marketing, do they just like the work, or do they just want everybody to think they have a lot of friends?

Comments... we should all leave more than we do.

Jul 07 05 11:57 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

i send out a freind request any time i am captivated by a persons work. Most times i send message.

Jul 07 05 11:58 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Mostly I just send them to people I've worked with. Ocasionally, I send them to people I really want to work with or have had some substantial interaction with before.

Jul 08 05 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Most of the time I message people, when I like their work. This way I can express myself more on what I think about the pics...

I just sent out one friend request - it was to a - well - a friend.. ;o) (MM#9533).

But I check several time a day my pics for comments and view counts. Mostly when I'm kind of bored... Hehe - they let me use internet at work ;o)))

Jul 08 05 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

With regard to models, I send them to people I've worked with and people I'd really like to work with.  For photographers, I send them to anyone I think is great or shares any of my own views on art and photography.  I do wonder why some people have sent me friend requests, but I've only refused two so far...I guess that probably makes my friends list look like I'm some "face collector," but I've been called worse things recently.

Jul 08 05 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I want to make you humans feel wanted.

Jul 08 05 07:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Boredom... 

Jul 08 05 07:12 am Link

Photographer

nick Trapani

Cave Creek, Arizona, US

I thought it was nice way to let a photographer or model know that I respedt their work. Now after getting no response to request that I sent, I find that it is also a way of know who the real people are and who those that are simply full of themselves are as well.

Jul 08 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by nick Trapani: 
I thought it was nice way to let a photographer or model know that I respedt their work. Now after getting no response to request that I sent, I find that it is also a way of know who the real people are and who those that are simply full of themselves are as well.

I would not take it that way.  Humans like to organize differently,  just because you see friends a certain way does not mean another does.

Jul 08 05 08:19 am Link

Model

I prefer "comments" and "mail" to "tag" and "friends". I check everyday wink sadly not nearly as many as I've left sad

Posted by Theda: 
Mostly I just send them to people I've worked with. Ocasionally, I send them to people I really want to work with or have had some substantial interaction with before.

Ditto

Posted by nick Trapani: 

Whoa, if someone sends me a friend request, I have no idea that they're wanting to work with me. Now if they send me a message that says "I want to work with you" or leave a comment that says "I want images like this. I think you'd be great as this. Would you work with me?" then I know that they want to work with me.  Don't confuse "friend request" with "request to work with"

Jul 08 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Generally I send friend requests to models and photographers when I notice that they are based in North Carolina.

I agree with Sara:  Don't confuse "friend request" with "request to work with"

Charlie

Jul 08 05 10:22 am Link

Model

Simply Sonya

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I send out Friend Request to Photogs when I am truly impressed with their work!  I would plan to shoot with him/her at some point.  For models - its usually to encourage & support!  I have met some great people on here - so networking has been awesome!

SS

Jul 08 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Unless I know the person, or have a possibility of shooting the model, I generally reject them.  There's one male fer instance that has made a "friend" of almost every model on site.

Paul

Jul 08 05 11:01 am Link

Model

KiraRhian

Orlando, Florida, US

When it comes to photographers I send out friend requests with people who I love their work and would love to work with them.  For models I send friend requests to people who I love their work.  I also try my best to make sure I comment or tag to let them know that I love their work and/or want to work with them.

Jul 08 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Rodgers

DELAND, Florida, US

Good question. 
I have several criteria for tagging, friend requests, etc.
There may be people I have worked with already.  People who (generally in my local area) I have the desire to work with in the future, and those photographers and models whos work I find acceptional. 

I will accept any frined requests, just simply because this is a sign of those people who show admiration for the work I do, and anyone who shows that, I am apreciative, and do consier them a friend :-)

Jul 08 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

A friend is many thing, but in certain cities, friend means something else.

Miami:  A friend is someone who knows where the next hottest party/afterhours is, and is willing to take you in either a Ferrari or a "Mock Up Scooby Doo Van."

Boston:  A friend is someone whose car you can puke in after a while on St. Patty's day... and they won't even get mad.

LA:  A friend is anyone who knows anyone or anything that might be of service to you meeting the next friend.

Las Vegas:  A friend is someone who will see you've lost your gambling money for the night, give you a bump and a couple rolls of quarters, and a contract to split the winnings.

NYC:  A friend is anyone who's willing to give up their parking spot for you.

Denver:  A friend is the guy next to you at the bar with a face painted like a Bronco's helmet.

San Francisco:  A friend is a guy who will go downtown and get two blow jobs... then come back and give you one.

Wichita:  A friend is someone you do your laundry with ( well WTF else are you going to do there?)

Dallas:  A friend is someone you fight with after dinner to decide who picks up the bill.  What's different is that people are fighting TO pay the bill.

Nebraska:  A friend is someone you drink with and then help tip over a cow.

Utah:  A friend is someone who will witness the end of the world with you.

Internet:  A friend is a friendly click of the mouse.

Jul 08 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

As usual,  Christian Rules.

my addition:

Black Rock City: A friend is someone dressed as a mad-max clown who randomly appears out of a dust storm, sits down with you and tells a fanciful story of the birth of the universe, gives you three hits of acid and then disappears back into the storm never to be seen again.

smile

Jul 08 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

For models I use friends to keep track of who I might want to work with.  If they don't add me, I figure they're snotty, or not serious and I probably shouldn't bother.

For photographers I use it to keep track of work that I like and I check their portfolio every so often.

Of course I'll accept requests from one and all.

I think of it more as a misnamed "contact" list.

Jul 08 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I think this site should have a Super friend list and/or "hey,  be your best friend list".

Also the friends but I only want to talk to their machine friends.

The friend we call twice a year friends.
The friend who we fool around with but never bring home to mother.
The "I will be your best friend if you give me a ride home or pay for my travel expenses(as they put their bossoms around your arm)"

Jul 08 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

I have 3 criteria for sending out friend requests:

1.  When I know the model/photographer from another site.

2.  They are someone I have worked with before.

3.  They are someone I am interested in working with.

Jul 08 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Some friends are people whose work I REALLY admire.  Some are people whose work might not inspire me the same way, but I like them.

Jul 08 05 02:48 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I send out friend requests to those who are already My friends and ppl I have worked w/,but also those who I want to work w/ and who's work I really like.
despite the high numer of friends on My list I'm picky as to who I accept and who I will send a request out too.
I don't understand just accepting anyone who you will never work w/ or who's work you don't like.
xxx
MP

Jul 08 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I have sent friend requests to others in my area but accept requests from anyone. You can never have too many friends smile

Jul 08 05 03:04 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

models and photographers that are friends/associates I've worked with.
Someone I'd like to work with.
Models or photographers that I admire their work and would like to be able to go back and see what they have been up to. For example: Michael Rosen & Jeffery Scott, I love their  work and love seeing what creative things they have come up with. Yet in regards to Jeffery, I am not the type of model Jeffery would work with. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy and appreciate his work and talents. (don't know if they are on here, I have them linked on another site). So I'd link them so I can be nosey and see what they are up to lol

In regards to pics and main page. I am guilty of not checking those enough. Having to check three sections is something I forget to do. I check the my stuff section all the time, yet guilty of not checking photos and main page messages. I have to work on that.

Jul 08 05 04:00 pm Link

Model

Kataxenna

London, England, United Kingdom

I send friend requests to people whose work really captures me or I may wish to work with in the future

Jul 08 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

I like my friend Tyler. He was my first friend. DIdn't have to accept or refuse. Didn't have to send him one first. I'm sure as hell inspired by his work. What else can ya say?

Jul 08 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

I send a friend request to people I have already
interacted with in a friendly way ...

Jul 09 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Well, I send requests to models that I would like to work with because I like their look, even if they are around the world, because you never know. And I send them to other photographers whose work I enjoy looking at, because then it is easy to look at their work whenever you want without looking them up, and for information purposes.
I accept anyone who friends me, simply because, why not? It's not like friending someone creates some kind of contract. It's a little list on a server somewhere, right?

Jul 10 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Why don't we just make one big category for posts and do away with forums?

This isn't a General industry discussion at all, is it?

Jul 10 05 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Star

isn't this website the industry?

Jul 10 05 02:15 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Why don't we just make one big category for posts and do away with forums?

This isn't a General industry discussion at all, is it?

I think forums "could" be very beneficial if used in the proper format. Yet, I feel these boards are being confused to be more like an average "chat" site forum and not a professional forum.
Many of the posts on the boards are very unprofessional and personally cheapen the site greatly.
I feel there is so much we can learn from each other, or help enlighten each other on ideas, concepts, what's going on out there and ways to help boost our careers instead of showing just how lame a lot of the business is.
There have been some thought provoking posts, but most just gives an idea of those whom don't take the profession seriously or just scare the heck out of me lol Maybe that's a good thing on those I'd prefer to avoid in the future.
I just don't respond to those posts.
I don't think people keep in mind that this "IS" a modeling site and that their actions "DO" represent them as the person they are in their profession. Maybe if people re-read what they write on these boards in a different light (professional) they would see what I mean.
Although this site supposedly (as I’ve read in posts) has the "feel" of my space. It is not my space. My space is a play site where I enjoy chat with friends and others. This site is where I'd like to interact with professionals and 'learn' something I didn't know. lol well I’ve learned some things, but not in a positive light haha

Jul 12 05 06:26 am Link

Model

Chris Winters

sending a request is exactly that.. a friend gained.

but im hoping that adding friends wont become another mypsace thing in which seems to be a popularity contest.

Jul 12 05 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i'm like a lot of others--i generally send requests to people whose work connects with me on some level. sometimes it's someone i'd llike to work with--and i will tell them so, or i like their work and i'll tell them that.  i have added one or two people just because their profile and sense of humor was so absurd it made me laugh.

i get more requests than i send out only because i think some people use it like stamp collecting. i won't send out a request unless i have commented/tagged or sent a private message. i've been getting into the habit of not accepting requests without some kind of interaction. otherwise it makes the list worthless. irl, i don't call people my friend if i've never communicated with them.  ...let's just say i use it more as my personal way of saying, "golly gee, you're so very, very special." 

Jul 12 05 08:16 am Link