Forums > Photography Talk > TFP shoots

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

When doing a TFP shoot, I try not to be too bossy & try to do pics they will like. Is this a mistake?

Jul 08 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Only if you don't want models to work with you more than once or tell other models that you are good to do TFP with. smile

"Bossy" is almost never good. "Assertive and confident" is okay, though. Inexperienced models are often a little nervous that they're "not doing it right" and they really benefit from confident and clear direction.

As far as "pics they will like," that's pretty much the object of the exercise. I always do some simple ones that they can use for a portfolio as well as whatever it is that I'm trying to achieve.

M

Jul 08 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Heck I see many good models that worry alot if they are doing it right......

And it shows - model interaction and comfort is the MOST IMPORTANT THING you can learn and work on as a photogrpaher....

Jul 09 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Try to let the words "creative collaboration" be your guide.  Open and honest communication is the key.

Jul 09 05 02:13 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
Try to let the words "creative collaboration" be your guide.  Open and honest communication is the key.

Well said Herb. smile

Posted by Freelancer:
When doing a TFP shoot, I try not to be too bossy & try to do pics they will like. Is this a mistake?

Bossy = not good. Direction = good. Esp. new models. They have no clue what they're doing and need all the help they can get.
You can try both bringing or sharing images that you like and would like to get together. Before the shoot ask the model to look at poses - paying attention to head, chin, eyes, shoulders, hips, feet, hands...
I'm not sure what you mean by "do pics they will like" bc although there are times I wish I had my finger on the trigger button of the camera, the photographer is the only one who pushes that button. And I've never been comfortable telling the photographer to "shoot this!"

Good communication usually results in images you're both happy with. smile

Jul 10 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

When I work with models (whether male or female) I talk to them, and figure out what makes, it eaiser on both of us to work with. I never try to "push" I take into consideration with them, what if any expierence they have, what kind of imaging they do or don't want. Some times you have to be asseritive, but you can be that way with out sending yourself or another to the crazy room. Get comfortable with your model, let them feel comfortable with you, the work comes out better that way. I normally use upsomewhere between 10-20 rolls of 24 exposure films, and out of that 20 of the photos come out great on half the rolls of film.

Jul 11 05 01:09 am Link