Forums > Photography Talk > Framing and Mounting

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Does anyone frame and mount images for shows or to sell? I'm sure some of you folks do. Where do you by your goods? Matboard and frames is what I'm after if anyone has some suggestions.

Jul 08 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Hoffman

San Diego, California, US

Try www.pictureframes.com

They will sell pre-made or custom cut mats and frames and you can conveniently do all of your ordering online---they will also supply free sample corners for most of their frames.  Easy to deal with and reasonably priced.

Jul 08 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jul 08 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

both pictureframes.com (in my state, NC) and americanframe.com have good selections. I use both. both sites have a thingy that allows you to upload your image (make sure you watermark or scratch the heck out of it first) then "see" how a frame will look on the image (both allow for matting). good stuff.

Jul 08 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Thanks for the 2 sites anyone got any others?

Jul 08 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Expensive but - I love light impressions. They sell great quality stuff, which really makes my cheap prints from Ritz Camera look like museum-quality stuff!

GWC

Jul 08 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by GWC: 
Expensive but - I love light impressions. They sell great quality stuff, which really makes my cheap prints from Ritz Camera look like museum-quality stuff!

GWC

Ritz.. are you out of your mind.. Wal~Mart prints seem to be more your speed....

Jul 08 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by GWC: 

GWC

Ritz.. are you out of your mind.. Wal~Mart prints seem to be more your speed....

I was thinking more on the lines of any drig store with a 1 hour machine.

Jul 08 05 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Posted by Robb Radford: 

You've checked both sites and didn't find anything you liked?

Jul 09 05 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Todd Steinwart: 

Posted by Robb Radford: 

Thats what i thought..lol

Jul 09 05 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

Check out www.gwmoulding.com
A great selection of mouldings and they do great custome work. All my art pieces are sold frames as I want them to be viewed the way I want. As for commercial portraits I stock a lot of corners and upsell the frame and mat to the client.

Michael
Barone Studio

Jul 09 05 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Todd Steinwart: 

Posted by Robb Radford: 

NO no infact I checked both sites and did find some items but I always want to have options you know.

Jul 09 05 07:02 am Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

I do my FINE ART prints at Ritz and all my "work prints" at Wal-Mart. How did you know??

GWC

Jul 09 05 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Well I have a few of my pics printed on linen and framed, but I did it in local shop. This way I have more control over the process. I went to a repro studio which does billboard advertising to - the did the print. For the framing I went to an art and hobby shop - they did the framing. Overall cost for a single digital print with frame: approx. US$ 100.00

Not too bad for an 31.5 x 53 size (inches that is).

Jul 09 05 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

I missed the part of the original post that said matboard. I buy sheets of it locally. Any reasonably-sized metropolitan area is going to have at least one art supply store that, when you look at their selection of matboard, is going to make you say "I didn't know white came in so many colors!" :-)

Buy yourself a good X-acto knife handle, a stock of #11 blades, a 40+" metal T-square and a Logan compact mat cutter. This makes the inner cut a breeze. If you have deeper pockets get one of the larger Logan mat cutters which also assist with the outer cuts, and allow for larger mat widths (the compact lets me cut a 4" mat).

Personally, I don't buy the acid-free board. It's almost 2x as expensive and not worth it for the longevity they claim. (I think standard mat board is rated at about 125 years, but I'll have to get back on the exact number.) It's also more difficult to cut.

Oh yeh, you'll also need a supply of Fomecore for backing. Where I go it's cheaper if you buy it by the box.

My mom is a watercolor painter, she taught me how to do the actual framing, but there are videos and online courses available. It's a skill that takes a little time to pick up, but after that you can knock out a framed piece in very little time and for a whole lot less than they'll charge you at Michael's or one of those places at the mall.

To frame a piece like Hartsoe is talking about is trickier because a standard sheet of mat board is 32"x40". You can get matboard to frame larger pieces but you need lots of room to do the work.

Jul 09 05 08:24 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Try AlbumsInc and The Levin Company.

Jul 10 05 01:11 pm Link