Forums > Photography Talk > TFP Question.

Photographer

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I am trying to update, or better said create, a new portfolio for wedding pics. My problem has been finding models. I have been giving the TFP idea some thought mainly because having switched from film to digital within the last year my startup costs are through the roof. Years ago finding models was easy, but times have changed. I tried OMP but that was a major waste of time. Has anyone had any luck here finding models that are willing to TFP?

Jul 08 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I have found a couple willing to do TFP.. give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Jul 08 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
I have found a couple willing to do TFP.. give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Thanks for the response! In case I have no luck with TFP, I am curious to know what a fair hourly rate would be.

Jul 08 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

What part of Florida are you in. You will have to reach out to newer models that are looking for TFP as well. When you shoot with these models you HAVE to make sure you get stuff that is going to make yourself look GREAT! Notice I didn't say; make yourself look good.

Models are attracted to different styles of photography, you'll have to find your niche and slide into that slot. There will come a day when you'll get far too many TFP requests, and  you'll be on the other side of the coin. It will happen, it takes time.

Jul 09 05 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Damien Smith

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by snegron: 
I am curious to know what a fair hourly rate would be. 

Why don't you just shoot a few weddings for cheap.  This way you get paid a little something for your time, and you get your portfolio.

Just be sure to tell them the truth.

That you're just starting out with weddings and that's why you're willing to give them such a great deal.  Like $100 or something.  It's digital, so no sweat.

Of couse, that does not include an album.  Just a CD with high-res photos so they can do what ever they want.

Jul 10 05 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Photochick1968

Tampa, Florida, US

I have had very good luck with models that do TFP from here. The ones I have worked with from here have had great attitudes and are fun to work with. Also, I have gotten several models from MySpace by posting in groups from my home town. Of course these where "normal" people and not "real" models, but it helped me pratice with some new lights and backdrops.
Good Luck. yikes)

Jul 10 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I'm not in FL, but I have a very easy time finding TFP models here in Los Angeles.  Don't overlook amateurs that need help getting started.  Those girls will be happy to work TFP.

Jul 10 05 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

better to assist a photographer at a wedding, and offer to shoot the digital side of things. most wedding guys (at least here in NY) are shooting both medium format and digital, so you're likely to get a few gigs where you can accomplish your goal and maybe have less pressure to produce perfect results.

Jul 10 05 06:27 pm Link