Forums > General Industry > Locations for your tfcd work?

Photographer

M Studio Photography

Santa Clara, California, US

Where do you guys usually do your tfcd work?
As a wedding photographer that is kind of a nonissue for me smile

For studio looking shots and not the "walk in the city" kind of shots, where do you guys do the shoots?

For photographers,  do you guys rent a studio/hotel for your shots? or do you have a "studio" at home that you get the models to go to? or maybe go to the model's house? As a tfcd work, I would assume cost is something to think about, and renting studio might be expensive?

For models, I'm guessing studio is best, but what are the other places that you would do the shoots in?

Apr 09 09 03:33 pm Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Memoire Studio wrote:
For photographers,  do you guys rent a studio/hotel for your shots? or do you have a "studio" at home that you get the models to go to? or maybe go to the model's house? As a tfcd work, I would assume cost is something to think about, and renting studio might be expensive?

For models, I'm guessing studio is best, but what are the other places that you would do the shoots in?

For 'studio shoots',
I've been in hourly rental studios, office buildings, mostly rentals studios, classrooms, basements, garages, old buildings, hotel rooms, hallways, etc.

I actually am not a fan of studio shoots.
I like woods, abandoned buildings,  parks, old houses, urban settings, marshes, oceans, ghost towns, theatres, alleys, dumpsters, etc. Really, on location ANYWHERE.

Apr 09 09 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Nanya Bydniss

New York, New York, US

Wherever is going to get me the best shot for what I'm trying to show wink

Apr 09 09 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Zytkiewicz

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I shoot mostly in my home.  A few times at the models home.  I've even done paid shoots at a client's home.

Yes it'd be nice to work at a big photography studio, but for many photographs you don't really need that much room.

Apr 09 09 03:56 pm Link

Model

Ashley Graham

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

For studio shoots
I've used living rooms, bedrooms, apts, hotel rooms, garages, basements whatever works

Apr 09 09 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

As someone who shoots models mostly as a hobby, I can't wrap a lot of money up in a studio.  I have a home studio that consists of a few lights and background paper I hang from a couple hooks on the ceiling.

Weather permitting I have a few outdoor locations I like.

Generally, I don't like to work at a model's home or location, but have on a few occasions when they can't travel.   When I go into a location unknown, I'm just not as likely to get as many good shots out of it.

Apr 09 09 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Love shooting at models homes.
They generally have more interesting places than my abode, stuffed with gear 'n lighting stuff.

I'm not crazy about hotels, unless they have really good light.

Rented a dance studio in a church one winter.

But mostly I shoot at my place. Many models have asked if I really live here, as it looks more like a studio than a residence.

Apr 09 09 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

studio, my house, someone else's house, or hotel.

Apr 09 09 05:41 pm Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Henri3 wrote:
Love shooting at models homes.
They generally have more interesting places than my abode, stuffed with gear 'n lighting stuff.

You'd probably not be able to fit in my house.
I can carry it on my back.

Apr 09 09 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Life Event Photography

San Antonio, Florida, US

Remember the purpose of TFCD is to benefit both the photographers and the models port.

Shoot for purpose not just because.

I shoot on location.

Apr 09 09 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

i do it in parks and whatnot.. i did one time go to her house but it was near to where i live.. i rented this apt for like 3 hour one time. that was actually my first shoot too. i live in nyc, there's a lot of good spots

Apr 09 09 05:47 pm Link

Model

Gypsy Logan

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Raelyn Monstrosity wrote:
For 'studio shoots',
I've been in hourly rental studios, office buildings, mostly rentals studios, classrooms, basements, garages, old buildings, hotel rooms, hallways, etc.

I actually am not a fan of studio shoots.
I like woods, abandoned buildings,  parks, old houses, urban settings, marshes, oceans, ghost towns, theatres, alleys, dumpsters, etc. Really, on location ANYWHERE.

^ Cosign.

Studios don't offer alot to work with.

As a model, I want to be somewhere that inspires me. On location areas are way better for that.

Apr 09 09 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I love shooting on location, but when I want a clean studio appearance, I've owned studios, timeshared studios (really good deals!), rented studios hourly, rented general-use spaces hourly and brought my own stuff, set up a studio in my home, set up in the model's home (I've only done that once, because the model preferred it), and set up a studio in a museum as a live demo. That's harder to do, and it takes the right kind of model. And museum.

I hate setting up home studios because there's less space and it's just not as professional. Some of my more discretion-minded clients have preferred to shoot in a home-based studio so they were never seen coming out of a commercial studio, but for most people it's not a bonus.

Apr 09 09 06:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Yvannah Graham

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Ring up night clubs/bars/dance studios/museums etc etc. I've done it and all the places I have rung have been happy to let us come in for free.

http://i41.tinypic.com/28ix7h1.jpg

that was shot at a local disco themed night club :]

Apr 09 09 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

M Studio Photography

Santa Clara, California, US

Thanks for all the ideas.

Yes, I'm not a studio person myself. I mean I go to where the job is, but I just wanted to know where do you guys shoot certain scenes like with a kitchen or a couch and with a nice indoor background. You can't really find that walking around in a park and somehow i think me walking with light equipments with a model to an open house  would cause trouble smile

Apr 09 09 09:52 pm Link