Forums > General Industry > With limitions photography flourishes

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I don't quite know if this topic should be here on in photographer's talk. It has to do with working with limitations. Some of the best photographic work of the 20th century appeared in the 60s, 70s and 80s in the Communist block countries of Europe. I believe that part of the reason was their severe lack of variety in the availability in cameras, film and papers. A similar situation has ocurred in Cuba. Many visiting photographers from Canada take packages of photographic paper, chemicals and films to give away in Cuba. The paradox is that there are countless American web site photo distributors that are now importing into the US former "Eastern Block" films and papers or "improved" HOrizont swivel lens panoramic cameras.

What then would be the reason for the overall glossy, sharp, well-exposed but otherwise uniform look of the pictures in MM?  I would long to see a 21st century interpretation of Betti Page. Sort of like Betti Page on the beach but with a back pack.

Jul 10 05 11:35 am Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

huh???

Jul 10 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

"What then would be the reason for the overall glossy, sharp, well-exposed but otherwise uniform look of the pictures in MM? I would long to see a 21st century interpretation of Betti Page. Sort of like Betti Page on the beach but with a back pack."

i believe that were are now in an age where we no longer create anything new but merely replicate what already exists. that is not to say techological advancements are not new...they are but they provide the capability to recreate, to build on existing material and remove the flaws. the "mirror" no longer is an accurate cultural representation of who we are. we find that the mediated virtual experience to be a clearer representation. we mimic what we see in an attempt to define ourselves or better yet to become that which we desire. plastic surgery, cloning, etc...(in a hypothetical sense) can account for the capability to become that which was once one unattainable. we no longer are moved by beauty the way we once were, we consume it, we try to become it, we vie with it, we make it ours, our own version of it, through the new ability to replicate to then re-project our ideal of beauty (which already existed) out onto the screen of the world..."if i can't posses that which is the "other" i desire, i will become it." becoming less individual through removing the "flaws" that make us human...recreating ourselves to match that which was already prefabricated, becoming less human, less real and more like what we see. everyone likes to think they are special but there is a trend to find that validation by alteration rather than growing into what we are. than letting our "limitations" become the intangible beauty. this is a bad exampleand way before my time but what would have happened if lauren hutton had gotten braces? would we ever had talked about that smile? it was what set her apart. it was the "limitations" that made her appeal so human and sexy.

Jul 10 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Mr Widger your muse may have left town but your other muse (the one in your  head) is alive and well.

Jul 10 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

The only limitations are the ones we impose in our own minds...

Jul 10 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by alexwh: 
What then would be the reason for the overall glossy, sharp, well-exposed but otherwise uniform look of the pictures in MM?  I would long to see a 21st century interpretation of Betti Page. Sort of like Betti Page on the beach but with a back pack.

I think I understand exactly what you are trying to say:

A lot of today's images are taken with myriads of fancy lighting equipment and then heavily post-processed. A lot of those works end up looking the same. A musical analogy would be Hip-Hop music that is largely "engineered" from pieces of other work. It all sounds the same, and dare I say, unpleasant to many.

I think what you long for is photography that is "organic" or "unplugged": Available light and a minimum of fancy post processing. A musical analogy would be acoustic guitar or earlier, pre-synthesizer rock and roll.

Out of necessity, I am exploring such methods, using a 25 year-old Minolta XG-7 SLR and lenses along with a modern film scanner. I am limited to available light as well.

Some of my images have achieved this more simple, "organic" feel.

Jul 10 05 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by alexwh: 
What then would be the reason for the overall glossy, sharp, well-exposed but otherwise uniform look of the pictures in MM?

Dude! I'm still tryin' to get that look!!

GWC

Jul 10 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

It's all there, you just aren't looking in the right places. 

Where has all the football gone says the man standing on the pitcher's mound...

Jul 10 05 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

rp-photo,

The picture with the most viewings in my port (after the obvious one) is one of my Rebecca in Uruguay where she is about to drink tea. I shot this with a Nikon FM-2, a 35mm wide angle, and Ektachrome 100G (it has less contrast). This picture affects everybody who sees it. My new avatar was also taken with the same combination. Here I am 62 and al excited on a "new"  simple setup without my usual big softbox route. It is exciting to share these things with fellow photographers. Vancouver can be quite lonely  in this sense. I love the fun of MM even if I complain about it! And there isn't all that uniformity that I write about. There are plenty of ports here with very good photographs and then some of those models, wow!

Jul 10 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by ryan widger: 
"What then would be the reason for the overall glossy, sharp, well-exposed but otherwise uniform look of the pictures in MM? I would long to see a 21st century interpretation of Betti Page. Sort of like Betti Page on the beach but with a back pack."

i believe that were are now in an age where we no longer create anything new but merely replicate what already exists.

Am I the only person here who finds it kind of brain-wrenching that Mr Widger, of all people, would say that? Your work has a look all of its own; it's as different from mine as it is from, say, GWC's.

I do not see a "overall glossy, sharp, well-exposed but otherwise uniform look" here. I see a range of levels of Craft and different views of Art. In short, I see a microcosm of humanity - which is what happens whenever a group of people congregate about Art.

mjr.

Jul 10 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Ya want-Dull-unfocused-underexposed--
Just look at my beggining work..lol

Just kidding!!

(:--

Jul 10 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

And furthermore rp-photo I would kill to drive from your Houston to Dallas and be able to photograph Roxanne Dale(7905). The best part of it all is that she is 35.

Jul 10 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

in regards to Mr Ranum (and with absolutely no disrespect) i am using layers of mediation (both visual and psychological) to point out this separation of identity in the face of these cultural, psychological, and technological difficulties. i don't believe what i am doing is new i am just rasing the question or when at my best making "rorschack tests." these are ambiguous yet exciting times no?

Jul 10 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

maybe there are no answers right now...maybe it's the poetics we bring to what we do.

Jul 10 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by ryan widger: 
i don't believe what i am doing is new i am just rasing the question or when at my best making "rorschack tests." these are ambiguous yet exciting times no?

(no disrespect found, at all...)

In the sense of human culture overall, nothing is new since our ancestors climbed down from the trees. I suppose I could say that your images are "reminiscent of Munsch," or something like that - which they are - because they are both about and by humans.

There's one line of thought that "all stories are ripped off from Shakespeare" and another that "all stories were ripped off by Shakespeare" - both are equally right. I feel that the artist acts as a sort of filter, collecting, refining, and conglomerating the flow of humanity that goes within reach of their intake. Some artists thus have a very broad (fumbling for words) dynamic range (/fumbling) in their content, while others might be distilling more thoroughly something that has already been highly refined.

Indeed, I can envision an artist who decided to perfect the "glossy perfectly sharp no-skin-texture fake boobs pouty expression, photoshop perfected, balanced, and constructed pin-up" - to achieve the ubersurreal representational image that distilled the very "sameness" that some of us complain about. Perhaps that would be a great work of Art if it happened. To me what is so fascinating is that I feel all Art is about culture - which inherently means that it's evanescent in the extreme. I fantasize that someday someone will discover lost notebooks from Leonardo that indicate that Mona Lisa was  intended to be a advertising billboard for a public drinking-house or something.

But - no matter what else - keep following your Muse, Ryan. I like what you're doing. Let me know if you ever start selling prints.

mjr.

Jul 10 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think that photography flourishes with or without limitations.  It's just that with limitations such as those you describe in Eastern Europe and Cuba, those without great talent and even greater desire to practice photography at their own risk did not do so.  As such, there is a lot less mediocrity to wade through, and they have the added benefit of hardship to reinforce their stories.  People love underdog stories.

The same quality work is being created now, but it may take time for such work to rise to the top.

Jul 10 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Brian I see in DSLRs the problem of over-choice. Now photographers talk of their " digital work flow" which seems to be the long hours between the pressing of the shutter button and the final product (after many long hours of monitor and printer calibration!).

Jul 10 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yes, I can agree that digital photography has given many people the problem of over-choice.  However, digital workflow has nothing to do with it.  I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to get 68 degree water to come from the tap.  Certainly more time than I've spent on monitor calibration.

But back to over-choice, it all has to do with abundance.  This is something writers have struggled with for a long time:  the general public has all the tools required to be a writer.  Anyone with paper, a pencil, and time can be a writer.  But that doesn't mean that anything they write is going to be any good, and the truly talented writers have to fight a tremendously uphill battle just to be published and make a couple bucks.  Still, though, the great writers are remembered.

Somehow this all reminds me of the line, "If you outlaw guns, the only people with guns will be outlaws."  The point of this is that the people with the desire to do anything will do it, regardless of the limitations and obstacles.  And those are the ones who make the biggest impressions.

Jul 10 05 01:55 pm Link