Forums > General Industry > The shoot that turned into a circus

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I recently shot a swimwear model at a Houston-area private airport after arrangements were made with a flight school. My current avatar is one of the better pics from the shoot.

It devolved into more-or-less of a circus. Here are some of the plot complications in chornological order:

1. Model gets lost within a mile or so of airport. Photographer is nervous for duration of shoot.

2. Airfield is a bit more developed and populated than I had imagined it to be based on visit to another air field a few years ago.

3. Airport employee drives up in fuel truck and attempts to take photo of model with his own camera. Model is upset! Photographer is more nervous than ever. (Has this ever happened to anyone else?).

4. "Important" flight school customer pulls up Piper Arrow IV (low-wing plane seen in avatar image). We were asked to take a break from shooting until customer has left the area.

5. Photographer is elated that a low-wing plane and the posing opportunities it offers has become available.

6. The "important" customer comes back to plane unannounced to retrieve a forgotten item while we are doing wing shoots.

7. Airport shop operator is smitten with model and offers free halter top with inscription "Remove before flight". Model does not like the gift.

8. The other plane we were using takes off with another flight school customer. They fly back overhead a few times.

9. A King Air turboprop taxies by especially close, almost certainly slowing down to "enjoy the scenery"!

10. Model and I tempted by above King Air parked in front of open Hangar for a few additional shots. In the open hangar is a WWII Russian "Yak" with cool military insignia. Find out next day that airport management frowns on photographing aircraft without owner permission (understandable; no pics were published)

This was "model mayhem" in the literal sense!

Let's hear some other stories about shoots that went wild and how to keep control of the situation.

Jul 10 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

The way I look at it the model has no right to get bent if a bystander takes a pic. If you want a private shoot pony up the cash to secure an area.

The rest of what you descibed sounds like normal small airport behavior.

Jul 10 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

We photographers learn to find and cherish those secure areas where no gawkers roam.

I will admit that the model did not seem to be bothered by all the attention; it probably made me the most nervous. She is a pro and is used to dealing with it. I am still a newbie model shooter, and this was my first shoot that was easily visible by others.

Since that time, I did a swimwear shoot in a local park that is photographer-friendly and popular with area shooters. Of course there were some "gawkers", but they were much easier to deal with.

The only place where I have enjoyed shooting in solitude has been at an abandoned oil well site near my home. Examples are in my profile.

Jul 10 05 01:02 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

lol - my list of chaos for the OhioScene group shoot is twice as long....and Im too lazy to type it out

Jul 10 05 01:04 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Sounds dramatic...kind of like my trip to Florida and back...never a dull moment!!!  Planes being delayed...freaky people running the streets...or actually following us on the highway (long story).  LMAO!!!!!!  Yep, you will have those days!

McKenzie

Jul 10 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Sounds like a typicical shoot done in public!!
Gawkers and GWCs will hoard to a public shoot!
I have had very big crowds develop shooting in public,if you can get some realesed shots of the crowd gawking its kinda worthit!!
Otherwize seek out not to public places

Jul 10 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by McKenzie: 
Sounds dramatic...kind of like my trip to Florida and back...never a dull moment!!!  Planes being delayed...freaky people running the streets...or actually following us on the highway (long story).  LMAO!!!!!!  Yep, you will have those days!

McKenzie

Hmmm, should I take offense to this comment, McK??? ;-)  And have I told you you're beautiful lately??  :-)

Oh, my circus moment, working with McKenzie!!!  Only 'cause it was so entertaining!!  Highly recommend the lass!!

Jul 10 05 01:50 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

sounds like a fun day of shooting to me.  onlookers are not a problem, in fact, it kinda fires me up to have the crowd when shooting in public.  (please reserve the snide remarks, hahahahahah). 

i'd love to shoot at a small airport!  that would be potential for some really great images...so onlookers wouldn't matter, i'd be too psyched about the planes...

Z

Jul 10 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by Zoe:i'd love to shoot at a small airport!  that would be potential for some really great images...so onlookers wouldn't matter, i'd be too psyched about the planes...Z

The model and I were both quite psyched, which is both good and bad. Psyched-ness is necessary for a good shoot!

Airports have a lot of rules and procedures that most other shoot locations don't. It is very easy to get caught up in the emotion and get a bit careless about observing the rules (don't pose next to propellers, don't step on the wrong parts of the wing, don't shoot those other planes that aren't ours...)

Other parties won't be a psyched as you are, and will notice such transgressions!

Jul 10 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

rp, sounds like you just described every one of my shoots, it's a blast huh smile

I have several spots that I shoot in which almost gaurantee a possible auto accident, one that I have seen two boats almost do a little head-on action. No matter where I am a few rednecks always seem to find us and follow us around for the rest of the day yelling "Hey sweetie!!!" etc etc from their 25ft tall mudd'n trucks. I have yet to shoot an anything that I didn't get permission for but give me time... smile

Jul 10 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I call those gawkers and onlookers "The fan club" because that's what they act like.

Jul 10 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

A shoot with a beautiful, enthusiastic model is a real rush! It is a form of thrill-seeking to me, just like bungee jumping, sky diving, etc. are to others.

It is living life to the fullest and kicking things up a notch.

Shooting should only test the moral limits of those around us, not the danger limits. It is very easy to get caught up in the excitement and not be careful.

Recently, at a marina, I realized I almost backed off a pier and into the water when framing a shot!

Even in remote areas, there can be dangers in the form of bees (as I found out at the well site), and other natural things, or even overheating and dehydrating in the Texas summer sun (I have learned to bring Garorade to every shoot!).

Jul 10 05 03:22 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Zoe: 
sounds like a fun day of shooting to me.  onlookers are not a problem, in fact, it kinda fires me up to have the crowd when shooting in public.  (please reserve the snide remarks, hahahahahah). 

i'd love to shoot at a small airport!  that would be potential for some really great images...so onlookers wouldn't matter, i'd be too psyched about the planes...

Z

I agree with you, Zoe! That would be very exciting and adventureous to pose at an airport.

Jul 10 05 03:52 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Posted by Keith aka Wolfie: 

Posted by McKenzie: 

McKenzie

Hmmm, should I take offense to this comment, McK??? ;-)  And have I told you you're beautiful lately??  :-)

Oh, my circus moment, working with McKenzie!!!  Only 'cause it was so entertaining!!  Highly recommend the lass!! 

What can I say Keith....I love the attention and welcome it!!  Fans...whoever.  Look but no touchy...hehehehe.  I have a ball on most all my shoots!  Speaking of shoots, I need to get going and get ready for one.  Loves.

McKenzie

Jul 13 05 12:09 pm Link