Forums > Photography Talk > should I contact and ask to be credited

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi guys, I worked with an MUA before she joined MM, and I'm just wondering if I should ask to be credited with the images she put up. Write me I'll link you to the images that are mine that are up.

I gave the MUA a limited web publishing and printing release, but purposefully gave her small images and she was supposed to email me with the larger ones she wanted so I could make sure they were colorcorrected and all.

You know I really don't care about this kind of thing, and with the release I believe the MUA may be in the right if she doesn't want to link to me, or credit me...

What are your thoughts?

Jul 10 05 09:00 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I credit everyone - MUA, photographer, stylist, lighting director, etc.

But not everyone I've worked with does the same. *shrugs*

Jul 10 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Did you ask nicely first?

Do that first then we can tawk.

Should--yes, 

has to--- ???

Jul 10 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

you own the copyrights and should be credited (unless for some reason you gave the copyrights away). when i release an image for a model's use i have my copyright "signature" on the image. it's inobtrusive (see my portfolio for examples) and I stipulate that it cannot be removed. This is phrased nicely - not "I demand that..." but "It would be awesomely cool if..." as the latter gets a lot more mileage.

I also request (though I don't make mandatory) that the model inform me of what site(s) they're posting the image(s) to, if only because I don't like to be caught by surprise when i get an email about so-and-so.

In my own work I credit any personnel (MUA etc.) involved in the shoot. It's only polite. Everybody worked, so everybody gets credit. Both my MM and OMP portfolios reflect this.

Jul 10 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Posted by Sara Green: 

But not everyone I've worked with does the same. *shrugs*

In my book, that's lazy and unprofessional.

Jul 10 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Hi Star  - I would just email the person and say you were glad to see her getting use out of your photos and then ask her to credit you with a link (or whatever).

Curt

Jul 11 05 04:07 am Link