Forums > Photography Talk > How can you become a celebrity photographer?

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I was snooping around MM and I saw lots of celebrity photographers and I was wondering how did they started and how they got in the door of celebrity shooting.

I wondered if some of them started as paparazzi or started from being photographers at red carpets events.

Or how do you get your foot in the door to be a celebrity shooter.

Do they start as Fashion,Commercial or Portrait photographers?

I know I have many questions but if you are a celebrity shooter how did you started and how did you got your contacts? What it just luck and an a mixture of knowing the right people?

May 23 09 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Huntington Beach, California, US

For me, I started as a "paparazzi". I just happened to shoot some awesome stuff of Paris Hilton and her BFF (at the time)... and a photo agency bought the images and signed me up!
Since then I've been paid to shoot lots of celebrity events. I even did a *stake out*, which is fun but too crazy for my tastes... I got knocked over by another photographer twice! lol
I'm now contracted with 2 hollywood clothing stores to shoot their celebrity clients when they come in to shop. smile

May 23 09 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

San Diego, California, US

Chanel Rene wrote:
For me, I started as a "paparazzi". I just happened to shoot some awesome stuff of Paris Hilton and her BFF (at the time)... and a photo agency bought the images and signed me up!
Since then I've been paid to shoot lots of celebrity events. I even did a *stake out*, which is fun but too crazy for my tastes... I got knocked over by another photographer twice! lol
I'm now contracted with 2 hollywood clothing stores to shoot their celebrity clients when they come in to shop. smile

You can shoot me too Chanel for your book.  That will open some more doors... LOL

May 23 09 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Chanel Rene wrote:

Awesome I'm going to have to move to LA and do a few stake outs lol I see most celebrity shooters are there. Even though I'm close to NYC I think LA is the capital for celebrities.

May 23 09 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Jason Todd Ipson wrote:
You can shoot me too Chanel for your book.  That will open some more doors... LOL

lol you're so hot Jason, my lens would just fog up!
Besides, I'm going to use you to direct my screenplay in about 3 years. wink

May 23 09 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Be careful with that route, many "celerity photographers" I have met are total hacks and just shoot for fun, they show a book full of celebs to get ignorant models to shoot with them but non of the work they do is commissioned by said celebrity.

All they get are bragging rights, and those do not pay the bills.
(Unless your business model is to shoot celebs, and get wannabee starfucker people to hire you to do portrait sittings)

May 23 09 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Sockpuppet Studios  wrote:
Be careful with that route, many "celerity photographers" I have met are total hacks and just shoot for fun, they show a book full of celebs to get ignorant models to shoot with them but non of the work they do is commissioned by said celebrity.

All they get are bragging rights, and those do not pay the bills.
(Unless your business model is to shoot celebs, and get wannabee starfucker people to hire you to do portrait sittings)

I agree with you there!
I've met so many were just assholes. But, that's why one of my boutique clients keeps me around. I get them the shots they need, I'm cordial and professional with the celebrity and I respect their publicists wishes. (ie. Paris Hilton's told me not to shoot her feet. lol So I didn't.)

May 23 09 04:33 pm Link

Model

Kylea Killeen

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Get on as press to go to public events or charity events. Photograph whomever is there and hand out your card with a link to where people can see the photos. If you KNOW someone is a celebrity give them your card and offer to send them a CD of the images. Sometimes what happens is they like your work enough to refer you to other friends... including other celebrities.

May 23 09 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

Chanel Rene wrote:
I even did a *stake out*, which is fun but too crazy for my tastes... I got knocked over by another photographer twice!

I'm confused. Is this waiting outside a house or business for a celeb to come out so you can shoot them?

Because that's called stalking, regardless of how paparazzi dress it up. If "stakeout" means something else, my apologies.

Edit:

Per the Op, Matthew Rolatin shoots film promotion, Annie L started at Rolling Stone and transitioned. Many set photographers make friends with the actors and get commisions and referrals.

May 23 09 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Matthew Rolston, stupid spell check.

May 23 09 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

If I wanted to be a celebrity photographer I'd follow around "slave to the lens" and shoot all of his movie star friends tongue

The paparazzi route???? Yeah... I'd jump off a roof and put myself out of everyone's misery before I turned into one of those leaches.

May 23 09 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
If I wanted to be a celebrity photographer I'd follow around "slave to the lens" and shoot all of his movie star friends

Tell them Ryan sent you and they'll say, "Who? Oh, the guy who buys the furniture, right?"

Angie, the first step would be moving where the celebrities live. Los Angeles, New York...

May 23 09 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

LA Creative Design

Los Angeles, California, US

Try festivals in your area.  Celebrities love going to those, especially if they have something to promote.  I worked SXSW this year in Austin and because I was "press" I got to get in some of the exclusive private parties for some famous actors, directors, and bands to photograph that I never would have been able to without my badge.  Independent of SXSW, on my own time during hours off, I still photographed and some of the celebs and bands loved my photos and have bought some.  Austin's not exactly LA or NYC with the celeb population, but if there's a big event, movie premiere, or festival near you, try to get in on that.  (Celebs love concerts, btw)

May 24 09 02:09 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Chanel Rene wrote:

that is what BIG old METAL lenes are for, just jab the SOB in the ribs HARD i gartee there would not do that agen. it worked for me smile

May 24 09 02:17 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

slave to the lens wrote:

Tell them Ryan sent you and they'll say, "Who? Oh, the guy who buys the furniture, right?"

Angie, the first step would be moving where the celebrities live. Los Angeles, New York...

I'm down in NYC constantly is only a 3 hour drive and I'm usually down there every week might as well move and been thinking about seriously moving there once my photography is really stable. and have considered LA even though I lived there before and hated it.

May 24 09 02:39 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I know for a fact that I would suck as paparazzi because I would defienetely get knocked down by those money hungry photographers. I'm tiny.

May 24 09 02:40 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

KillerShotz Photography wrote:
I know for a fact that I would suck as paparazzi because I would defienetely get knocked down by those money hungry photographers. I'm tiny.

Plus, you can't have a soul, a conscience, morals or any respect for privacy or personal property. It's in the Pap handbook.

May 24 09 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

paparazzi's are boneheads! dont go in that direction wink

May 24 09 08:14 am Link

Photographer

First Kiss

what worked for me was using my press capability at Comic-Con in San Diego

May 24 09 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Mike Bernard Photo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I was snooping around MM and I saw lots of celebrity photographers and I was wondering how did they started and how they got in the door of celebrity shooting.

Answer.

Fashion beauty is a totally diferent animal.

Celebrity photographers start in their home town photographing local sports, entertainment, music people . Showing up at bars for music gigs and  photographing the band or actors at local plays.

Someone has the like you. The more you show up at places network and do stuff for nothing eventually someone will hire you for real money.
If you are any good your talent will spread to a major metro area and a decision maker in either sports entertainment or the performing arts will contact you refer by someone they know.

Its a beginning but this is how it is done.

May 24 09 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Key West, Florida, US

Chanel Rene wrote:

...see no offence but I have personal boundary issues that surrounds the "paparazzi". I simply couldn't do that.

Not to further my career...not for anything.

May 24 09 08:44 am Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

KillerShotz Photography wrote:

i don't classify myself as a celebrity shooter but i have photographed a number of celebrities.  the "in" was typically being at events where celebrities attend and then networking accordingly. 

the key is to not appear starstruck and just be professional in approach.  part of that is putting oneself in line for doing personal projects and assurance any work won't be splattered all over the web or sold as pap.

slave to the lens wrote:
Plus, you can't have a soul, a conscience, morals or any respect for privacy or personal property. It's in the Pap handbook.

truth.

pap shooters in fish-terms are considered carp.

May 24 09 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

slave to the lens wrote:

I'm confused. Is this waiting outside a house or business for a celeb to come out so you can shoot them?

Because that's called stalking, regardless of how paparazzi dress it up. If "stakeout" means something else, my apologies.

Edit:

Per the Op, Matthew Rolatin shoots film promotion, Annie L started at Rolling Stone and transitioned. Many set photographers make friends with the actors and get commisions and referrals.

Nah, it was a night club. A fellow shooter invited me to see what it was like, and figured why not give it a whirl. Haven't done it since and won't do it again. I'm not nearly bitchy (or butchy) enough to keep up with the other paparazzi. I'm not the type to get up in people's faces. lol

May 24 09 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Chanel Rene

Swank Photography wrote:
...see no offence but I have personal boundary issues that surrounds the "paparazzi". I simply couldn't do that.

Not to further my career...not for anything.

Well I quoted "paparazzi" because I wasn't really acting as a real Paparazzi, I just happened to have the inside info about the celebrity and was in the right place at the right time.

The whole Paparazzi lifestyle is just not for me. I'm not competitive or relentless enough...
When they show up at my stores, they call me all kinds of names because they can't go inside, but I can. LOL
Matter of fact, I'm in the background of a bunch of their shots all the time. I've made it a point to block their view with my "big tubby ass" (one of them has nicknamed me Tubby! lol)

May 24 09 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Reistroffer

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, US

Mine started with Paparazzi photos. Yay right? smile

May 24 09 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Sioux Falls Photography wrote:
Mine started with Paparazzi photos. Yay right? smile

Did you end up taking pictures of the local priest on a date with a nun? Because, honestly, that's about the only celebrity stuff I can see going on in your city.

As far as this, and IMO, I'd just put it into being in the right place at the right time and meeting the right people! Kind of along the lines of being lucky, but more or less just putting yourself in a place to meet the right people.

May 24 09 09:27 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Not all Paparazzi are the same.  There was a movie here in the Memphis area with Nora Jones.  I was speaking to the producer and paparazzi came up.  He said he got a phone call from a guy who asked if he could come shoot, made an appointment, flew to the states and bought Nora Jones a very expensive bottle of wine as a gift.

He then said paparazzi get a bad rap and that not all of them have the same ethics, or lack thereof.

May 24 09 09:29 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:
Not all Paparazzi are the same.  There was a movie here in the Memphis area with Nora Jones.  I was speaking to the producer and paparazzi came up.  He said he got a phone call from a guy who asked if he could come shoot, made an appointment, flew to the states and bought Nora Jones a very expensive bottle of wine as a gift.

He then said paparazzi get a bad rap and that not all of them have the same ethics, or lack thereof.

Then I wouldn't call that person a pap. The origin of the word itself is something like "annoying mosquito" if I recall correctly.

May 24 09 10:49 am Link