Forums > Critique > Comments please! Thank you come again

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I updated my portfolio with a few new pics. Some knife play shot by jack silver and an abstract by Peter J. Crowley. Let me know what you like, hate, any advice, whatever. Thanks.

Jul 11 05 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Not to be harsh but none of your pics are very good as photography goes.  The one you're using as an avatar, the lighting is flat; looks like it was done with an on-camera flash.

Here's what a headshot should look like:

https://www.paulsportraits.com/fashion/nj/050702B-37.jpg

Jul 11 05 04:10 pm Link

Model

Leila

Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you think. But I don't agree that there is a certain way that anything Should look like. While your photos are very good for fashion, thats not the type of look I'm interested in. There are a few photos in my profile taken by an amature that I left in for variety. I'm slowly replacing those as I get more of a variety of professional photos.

Jul 11 05 06:25 pm Link

Model

Laura Merced

Austin, Indiana, US

On your knife photo the picture is nice. I almost didn't see the knife initially. I am not big on the grey background. You should try something yellow or something that will bring out your skin tone and eye color or hair color.

On the one with the water mirror it is a cool concept. I would try it a black or blue metalic bra. And wear some lipstick.

Jul 11 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Leila, You ask for opinions and you immediately shoot down the first ones you get from Paul. Paul makes a lot of sense. You have a roundish face. If you want to minimize that (and most models would) you need to have one side of your face less bright than the other. This means you have to be photographed with a directional light ( a softbox up close works very well). The other problem with your avatar (I love the pinkish white colour of your skin) is that the crop makes your chest look huge (as in broad) It could be helped if the picture where cropped a bit more on the left.

Jul 11 05 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara:

I have to disagree with that.  Technically perhaps, but uniform lighting is only a part of a quality headshot.  In the example provided there are some major flaws in how a headshot should be presented, most notably, missing the purpose for which they are used.

Jul 11 05 09:36 pm Link

Model

Leila

Posted by alexwh: 
Leila, You ask for opinions and you immediately shoot down the first ones you get from Paul.   

To be fair I thanked him for his comment and all I said was I wasn't interested in the classic fashion look. The photo actually was shoot using a soft box. The difficulty in the situation was that there was no electricity in the building (it was an old factory).
And to be honest...I am kinda built like a guy as much as I hate to admit it. My shoulders and chest are pretty broad, more so than most women. Thats not really the photographers fault, thats just my natural anatomy. But thats why I'm not a mainstream model. I prefer art anyways.

Jul 11 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

leila is well adjusted with who she is.  she is beautiful but not the next super model.  Why everyone seeks to put everyone in the same box,  I have no idea?

All models need is a simple shot without much makeup that shows all the perspective shooters what the model actually looks like.

Plus to be honest the headshot shown is lame.

where is Jack when you need him?

Jul 11 05 09:55 pm Link

Model

Leila

Posted by marksora: 

Plus to be honest the headshot shown is lame.

Which one, mine or the one paul put up? Cause for one of those I would have to agree with you...

Jul 11 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by area291: 

Posted by Paul Ferrara:

I have to disagree with that.  Technically perhaps, but uniform lighting is only a part of a quality headshot.  In the example provided there are some major flaws in how a headshot should be presented, most notably, missing the purpose for which they are used.

HUh?  Could you translate that for me?  Note that I never got into her pose.  My main point was the the lighting in all of her pics is very flat, almost perfectly flat AAMOF.  I don't think it makes a real difference what the end use of a picture is going to be.  You still need directional lighting.

Paul

Jul 11 05 10:03 pm Link

Model

Leila

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by area291: 

Posted by Paul Ferrara:

HUh?  Could you translate that for me?  Note that I never got into her pose.  My main point was the the lighting in all of her pics is very flat, almost perfectly flat AAMOF.  I don't think it makes a real difference what the end use of a picture is going to be.  You still need directional lighting.

Paul

Well one flaw would be the fact that her left arm is cut off in a way that diverts your eyes away from the center of the photo. If you want it to be a head shot the focus should be on the head/face. If the end use of the photo is to be a good head shot for a model's portfolio than that needs to be taken into consideration.
Now I'm definetly not saying that my photo is a better headshot cause its not a headshot really. If it was a head shot the focus would be more on my face and the chain is slightly distracting from that. Either way people prefer different things.

Jul 11 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Paul,
The easiest way to translate that is what you are describing, and is shown, is portrait work.  A headshot is not a portrait, it is a "working" image.

When you say, "I don't think it makes a real difference what the end use of a picture is going to be" that perfectly describes what separates those shooting modeling images from those just taking pictures. 

The real difference is the end result has purpose for the one in the image.  Much the same as modeling isn't just about the model, modeling photography isn't just about the photographer.

Jul 11 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Area, we're going to have to agree to disagree.  I just don't see anything in your port that's better than what I posted. 

And Leila, it's all about the light.

Paul

Jul 12 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Santa Rosalía, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Area,
Now you have me interested....
It makes perfect sense to me that model's want shots for X end uses... which may define the desireable parameters of the image differently than what may most interest the photographer...
Can you recomen anywhere to learn more about this?

Im an artist, and I want shots for my portfolio, which will end up hanging on gallery walls, but to get there I need models, and it's only fair that the exchange be TRULLY mutually beneficial... esp. when it's TFP...

Just currious as to what may be out there on the topic.
Im a newby at Modeling images, but I certainly feel that I should do my best to provide top services. It's Win Win Baby, or go home!

Jul 12 05 01:50 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Paul's headshot aint the best example, but it's a lot better than Leila's. Too bad that fact is lost in the cockfight.

Jul 12 05 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Paul's headshot aint the best example, but it's a lot better than Leila's. Too bad that fact is lost in the cockfight.

Speaking of cock fights!!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=4522

Jul 12 05 02:03 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
Not to be harsh but none of your pics are very good as photography goes.  The one you're using as an avatar, the lighting is flat; looks like it was done with an on-camera flash.

Leila never claimed her avatar was a headshot.

It is true that headshots require certain charactaristics in order to qualify as a "good headshot." But, just because a photo is a portrait doesn't mean it is intended to be a headshot. Therefore, poiting out how Leila's avatar could be a better headshot isn't very logical. If she said, "What do you think of my headshot?" Okay. Fine. Then critisize it as a headshot. But she never claimed it was one.

Jul 12 05 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

You're picking nits.  That just happened to be the last one I took.  How's this for a headshot?

https://www.paulsportraits.com/fashion/traci/040307A-11.jpg

Jul 12 05 03:31 am Link

Model

Leila

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

It is true that headshots require certain charactaristics in order to qualify as a "good headshot." But, just because a photo is a portrait doesn't mean it is intended to be a headshot. Therefore, poiting out how Leila's avatar could be a better headshot isn't very logical. If she said, "What do you think of my headshot?" Okay. Fine. Then critisize it as a headshot. But she never claimed it was one.

Thak you! I said it wasn't a head shot. Next time I'm not going to bother asking for advice from random people. I think I'll stick to the artist that I know who can understand that not all photos HAVE to look the same.
Lighting is not the ONLY thing you need to worry about it an picture. While lighting does make a big difference so does framing. What good is a head shot if you cut off half of the person's head?

Jul 12 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

area291

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
Area, we're going to have to agree to disagree.  I just don't see anything in your port that's better than what I posted. 

And Leila, it's all about the light.

Thank you for taking note of that in my portfolio.  However, it wasn't I that posted images for commentary that qualify for headshot critique.  It was you that opened the door to commentary on your work by posting a comparative image as an example to be followed.

In its most simple form, a headshot must present the individual with a natural, polished and inviting look.  The image should extend to the viewer an impression that works toward the "more" aspect; "I want to know more about this individual based on the headshot look." 

Important rules of thumb for the headshot are to present pleasing composition with an engaging natural smile or dramatic quality personality, to show teeth and not present visual distractions such as clothing, accessories or hair styles that take the viewer's thought process and commentary away from the individual.

I will agree quality photography is an essential element and ideally they will work hand-in-hand.  However, it is not THE essential element as a headshot that incorporates the other essentials is far more important than quality photography, as quality photography will not overcome the impression given when the elements needed to engage a casting director or client are lacking.  One can get away with "good" photography if the right elements are packaged in the shot.

The statement "it's all about light" is a sorely misplaced notion that the importance of a strong headshot lies in the photography itself.   

The true importance is the photographer's ability to guide the individual for capturing the elements required to get the job done, getting hired.

PS:  Leila, it isn't so much about "cutting off the head" as much as it is more about composition.

Jul 12 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Leila: 
Next time I'm not going to bother asking for advice from random people. I think I'll stick to the artist that I know who can understand that not all photos HAVE to look the same.

Not all fetish photos HAVE to look like they were taken by the model's boyfriend...

Jul 12 05 12:19 pm Link

Model

Leila

Well I'm gay so can I have my girlfriend take them?

Jul 12 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Leila: 
Well I'm gay so can I have my girlfriend take them?

If they look better, sure.

(take your pick whether I mean the photos or the girls look better).

Jul 12 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

tanya k

Brooklyn, New York, US

ok...for starters, everyone needs to relax for just a second, just one. i don't understand this argument at all- without the understanding of manipulation of light, photography would not exist ("photo"= light...?)- so to throw out the notion that light is not the most important thing is just ridiculous. Next you need a photographer that understands how to manipulate the light in such a way as to flatter the model's face- in the case of a headshot- even if you're not going for the super-model look, in order to market yourself to photographers they need to see a good and flattering pic so they know exactly what they're getting.
-just as a personal note, I don't care for headshots that are shooting down on the model unless the feature you're trying to sell is your eyes in which case i would recommend a specular light source to make the eyes pop. I can go on forever about the importance of good light, because seriously without it you have jsut an ordinary picture that anyone can take. but as a photographer i see the light and damn can i make anyone look good. yes that was cocky, but shit i'm planning on being a millionare photograher after seeing some of the crap people make money off of (that was a side note). now peace to you all. ciao.

Jul 13 05 01:46 am Link