Forums > General Industry > SHORT HAIR!!! Positive or negative????

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I think much of how you wear your hair depends on the style of modeling you do, as well as what looks attractive on you.  I have had my hair long, short and in-between.  Short-ish looks best on me.  Also, when you look at a woman in her forties with long hair, it just looks like she's pretending to be 20-something and not quite pulling it off. 

I work continuously - short hair and all.  I don't think it could get any better by growing my hair.

May 31 09 07:11 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

MO Rina wrote:
I think much of how you wear your hair depends on the style of modeling you do, as well as what looks attractive on you.  I have had my hair long, short and in-between.  Short-ish looks best on me.  Also, when you look at a woman in her forties with long hair, it just looks like she's pretending to be 20-something and not quite pulling it off.

I think that would depend on the woman in her 40's in question.  I assume it would still be predicated on what works best for them individually.

May 31 09 07:20 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

MO Rina wrote:

Mayanlee wrote:
I think that would depend on the woman in her 40's in question.  I assume it would still be predicated on what works best for them individually.

Yup 'cause on here, out there, in celebrity land I see women 40 and up
with long hair that look just beautiful with it all the while not trying to
pretend to be younger than they are.

May 31 09 07:26 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Janice Marie Foote wrote:

MO Rina wrote:

Yup 'cause on here, out there, in celebrity land I see women 40 and up
with long hair that look just beautiful with it all the while not trying to
pretend to be younger than they are.

You are right - I was really thinking more of a woman I know who is in her 50's and isn't pulling it off.  There are certainly some women who rock long hair their entire lives.

May 31 09 07:30 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

Having short hair for me has been both a blessing and a curse! I have been on both sides of the fence when it comes to hair length. I have booked tons of shoots due to the fact that my hair is so short and gives a more "Exotic" look. Then on the other hand when I do runway, my agent and the models who I do shows with all know that when it comes time for me to have my hair stylied for the show I am the one who is ALWAYS turned away usually pisseed, because the sylists always say that they cannot style hair as short as mines......... I am starting to wonder why? It is pretty aggravating (SP?) seeing ALL the other models styled and I am the one sitting as I came. I have been told to keep my hair short because "Everyone can not pull off very short hair, and it compliments my face". It is truly a pain in the who-ha! I recently had luck with a photoshoot in which a hair stylist actually came in and did my hair! Short and All............ I am growing it out some, maybe my luck will be different then!

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090527/17/4a1ddd7870200_m.jpg

May 31 09 09:40 am Link

Model

Fetish Pixie

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

I just want to add my 2 cents here.

Short hair doesn't equal lack of femininity that some people seem to state.
And of course like a long hairstyle, shoose a short hairstyle that complements your face.

And I have to add, the short dos that I'm seeing above totally rock!!!

Yeah, short hair = less feminine, that's utter bullshit. These people probably haven't seen really nice short hair.

May 31 09 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

ghp

ARIVACA, Arizona, US

I have received a gazillion times more compliments, from men and women, in the past month since I cut all my hair off than I had in the past 2.5 years that I had it chin to shoulder length.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3581/3563689095_bbe459e64e_o.jpg

It is actually even shorter now than in the pic above.  About 1/4" in the back, tapered up to about 1-1.5" on top and in front, etc.  Pixie cut basically.

May 31 09 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Tattoo Project

Washington, District of Columbia, US

g.hansel photography wrote:
I have received a gazillion times more compliments, from men and women, in the past month since I cut all my hair off then I had in the past 2.5 years that I had it chin to shoulder length.

It is actually even shorter now than in the pic above.  About 1/4" in the back, tapered up to about 1-1.5" on top and in front, etc.  Pixie cut basically.

big_smile

May 31 09 08:28 pm Link

Model

Fetish Pixie

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

g.hansel photography wrote:
I have received a gazillion times more compliments, from men and women, in the past month since I cut all my hair off then I had in the past 2.5 years that I had it chin to shoulder length.

Yay for pixie cuts. smile

May 31 09 08:29 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

For this lady it was positive...
http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/27412
http://www.life.com/image/last/in-galle … hed-photos
Granted it is Marilyn Monroe... but she should supply models with short hair
with some pure inspiration...

Jun 01 09 07:45 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

I just want to add my 2 cents here.

Short hair doesn't equal lack of femininity that some people seem to state.
And of course like a long hairstyle, shoose a short hairstyle that complements your face.

And I have to add, the short dos that I'm seeing above totally rock!!!

Fetish Pixie wrote:
Yeah, short hair = less feminine, that's utter bullshit. These people probably haven't seen really nice short hair.

Femininity is a state of mind and being and how one presents oneself,
short or long hair.  'Cause I've seen some very unfeminine women
with very long hair and very feminine women with very short to no hair.

Jun 01 09 07:47 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

MO Rina wrote:

You are right - I was really thinking more of a woman I know who is in her 50's and isn't pulling it off.  There are certainly some women who rock long hair their entire lives.

Sometimes what one needs to do when older is to layer some around the face
as to soften it with a good cut that will blend into the longer hair nicely.

Jun 01 09 07:48 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

MO Rina wrote:

I work continuously - short hair and all.  I don't think it could get any better by growing my hair.

I think that if you kept the front basically as is and let the back grow,
if you wanted to, it would still look good.

Jun 01 09 07:49 am Link

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Just don't get hair extensions. Those always look like ass. Always.

Jun 01 09 08:46 am Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Tia wrote:

Not always.  They can look good if one gets quality ones and they're styled right.
Though most of the time they're not.

Jun 01 09 10:11 pm Link

Model

Fetish Pixie

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Tia wrote:

I disagree. I had some for a month and a half, and they looked great.

Jun 04 09 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gil Lang B

Isla Vista, California, US

Tia wrote:

I don't know...I've seen model with hair extension that...you couldn't tell.I would say:"don't get a wig",those always look like ass.

Jun 05 09 08:28 am Link

Model

Sandy Reagin

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My senior year in high school an agent told me I would never amount to anything because I cut my (waist length) hair to my ears. 2 months later, I was in the top 10 of a state-wide pageant. Some people won't stop living in the 1970's..... and even I feel old saying that.....

Jun 06 09 05:40 pm Link

Model

Sandy Reagin

Atlanta, Georgia, US

...and if you rock it, then keep it....

Jun 06 09 05:42 pm Link

Model

Miss Anna Evans

Astoria, New York, US

Tia wrote:

Not true...

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090528/17/4a1f2939495e2_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090320/15/49c41fb4e32dd_m.jpg

Jun 06 09 07:06 pm Link