This thread was locked on 2009-05-26 22:36:52
Forums > Critique > Not bad for a snapshot!

Photographer

Novus Photography

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

No make-up, no hairstyling - fresh out of the shower, frizzy hair, and all.

Standing in a hallway, in a shaft of bright light from a window. My girlfriend, who isn't a model, and has no modeling experience whatsoever.

It's the avatar, by the way. smile

May 26 09 08:36 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

I think its pretty  bad actually... probably the worst image in your portfolio. Sorry.

May 26 09 08:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

btdsgn wrote:
I think its pretty  bad actually... probably the worst image in your portfolio. Sorry.

sad

I've seen better snapshots..

May 26 09 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ehhh, I'd say dump it, its not good at all

May 26 09 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Raime SP

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

The shaft of bright light is just too bright!!!!!

May 26 09 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

SteveG

Overland Park, Kansas, US

dud!

May 26 09 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Novus Photography

Booooourrrnnnsss...

You all take photography too seriously. Lol.

I like it, she likes it, so I guess that's all that matters. tongue

It was deliberately blown out, just to play with exaggerated exposure.. Is "perfection" the new in, or doesn't anyone experiment with artistic perspective anymore. wink

Here is the other one from that session of messin' around.

http://novusphotography.ca/images/shawna.jpg

Feel free to hate it too. wink

May 26 09 08:51 pm Link

Model

Amour toujours

Novus Photography wrote:
Booooourrrnnnsss...

It was deliberately blown out, just to play with exaggerated exposure.. Is "perfection" the new in, or doesn't anyone experiment with artistic perspective anymore. wink

the one in the link is SO much better.

May 26 09 08:54 pm Link

Model

Amour toujours

TheEighthSin wrote:

sad

I've seen better snapshots..

My name is Paola and I love you...

OK, I'm done.

May 26 09 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

CEEKuno

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Novus Photography wrote:
Booooourrrnnnsss...

it's a lovely image

May 26 09 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tamara Piranha

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Im responsing better with the link than with the avi sad

May 26 09 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

KB9NDF

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

You posted what is ostensibly a request for critique in the critique forum and when the responses don't swing your way to bolster your opinion, you cloud up.

Perhaps, a better response might be to ask what element(s) could be improved or avoided the next time.

I find it drastically overexposed in the face. You could have reduced the exposure and the diagonal blacks would still be black, yet the main subject would have been less blown out. her pupils and the underside of her nose (especially the underside of her nose) dominate the shot.

The shot in the second link doesn't work for me either. It's washed out with no real blacks, no real whites, too much middle gray and an unflattering texture to her complexion.

Opinions are like belly-buttons. Everyone has one and they all tend to be different. That's why they make both vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Good luck with your experimenting.

May 26 09 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Novus Photography

KB9NDF wrote:
You posted what is ostensibly a request for critique in the critique forum and when the responses don't swing your way to bolster your opinion, you cloud up.

Perhaps, a better response might be to ask what element(s) could be improved or avoided the next time.

I find it drastically overexposed in the face. You could have reduced the exposure and the diagonal blacks would still be black, yet the main subject would have been less blown out. her pupils and the underside of her nose (especially the underside of her nose) dominate the shot.

The shot in the second link doesn't work for me either. It's washed out with no real blacks, no real whites, too much middle gray and an unflattering texture to her complexion.

Again, the "blown out" was quite, quite deliberate. Intentional even.

At the risk of sounding bitter and confrontational (and lets face it, I have no filter, I adore confrontation, and I'm all about fairness) when someone with this photo in their port:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … up_id=&ua=

... tells me that my work lacks, is washed out, boring, unflattering etc...

*ahem*

May 26 09 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Vlan Photo

Tucson, Arizona, US

Novus Photography wrote:
At the risk of sounding bitter and confrontational (and lets face it, I have no filter, I adore confrontation, and I'm all about fairness) when someone with this photo in their port:

*ahem*

Yeah, you do sound bitter and confrontational.

Why should we even bother responding to your request for a critique when you obviously can't take it?

May 26 09 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

Novus Photography wrote:

*ahem*

and thats called unsolicited critique, you asked for a critique and everyone said basicallly the same thing, but at the end of the day its you and the client that matters but i would suggest not bringing it into the critique forum if you truly dont care what others think.

whether something was intentional or not does not make it good/bad etc...clearly the majority of people did not like it.  I dont mind it but i dont find it to be your best work by ANY means, i dont like the over exposed technique...but again if thats what you were going for and you are happy with it great good for you...

May 26 09 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

KB9NDF wrote:

Novus Photography wrote:

*ahem*

That is considered an unsolicited critique, however in my opinion,  that shot is technically a better shot than the one you requested a critique on.

If you cant take negative responses, don't offer your images up for critique.

May 26 09 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

KB9NDF

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Novus Photography wrote:

*ahem*

Ahem...

YOU asked for a critique. Not I.
Enjoy your time-out to consider the ramifications of confrontational behavior.

May 26 09 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Novus Photography wrote:

*ahem*

Wow, your image is blown out, out of focus (adding digital pseudo sharpening to the eyes doesn't make it in focus). Really, I think it fails on all photographic & asthetic standards...

The other guy didn't solicit you for his critique... You opened yourself for critique. I believe what I said to be true. I'm not trying to be mean, but everyone else seems to agree. If you disagree w/ the whole world, who's opinion needs to change ?

Paul

May 26 09 10:32 pm Link

Model

Irada Chique

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Novus Photography wrote:
No make-up, no hairstyling - fresh out of the shower, frizzy hair, and all.

Standing in a hallway, in a shaft of bright light from a window. My girlfriend, who isn't a model, and has no modeling experience whatsoever.

It's the avatar, by the way. smile

I don't think its one of your best works. It's too smudgy, overexposed.

May 26 09 10:33 pm Link