Forums > Photography Talk > Lens Problems!!?!

Photographer

guitarguy702

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ok now im lost!?! haha
I just ordered a 24mm-70mm 2.8L lens. I posted earlier my concerns after reading a lot of negative reviews on this lens. I thank everyone for their input but now I kinda seem lost again. Will i not get the performance i want using it on a Rebel XT? Also, someone posted that most lenses are soft at 2.8 anyhow, so to use f/4 and up....wouldnt that defeat the purpose of buying that expensive lens? I am replacing my 17-85IS with this one...it is a 4-5.6 so why buy the expensive lens when i have a lens that is 4 and up now? or am i just missing the whole point? thanks for your help!

Jul 11 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

been using this lens for the past month. works great for me.

the f2.8 lens still has bigger glass even when shooting at f4. you are still getting the benefit of the glass even at a smaller apeture. at f2.8 you're just getting a shorter depth of field.

there has been some talk about the 28-70 having a more crisp image. have not noticed a big difference since selling my 28-70 to buy this one.  I have noticed the extra 4mm makes a big difference in low end reach. I love it.

Jul 11 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Generally, it's not that lenses are soft at f/2.8; it's that lenses are soft at their widest apertures.  I can pretty much guarantee that your 24-70 at f/4 will be sharper than the 17-85 at f/4.

Plus, you're paying a lot for the ability to shoot at 70mm at f/2.8, rather than f/5.6.  2 stops is a lot of light.

Rest assured that your new lens is one of the best zooms Canon has ever made.  It will give you the performance you want.

Jul 11 05 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

guitarguy702

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

thanks guys! much appreciated.

Jul 11 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I guess the 24-70L is what would be considered a high end / pro level lens. I can say from experience that once you start shooting with the *pro* level/quality glass, you will not want to use anything else. I have the Nikon equiv. to that which is the 28-70 2.8 and it hardly ever comes off my camera.

I wish Nikon made 24-120 2.8 lens. I would grab that in a minute because for me that would be the perfect focal length.

Jul 11 05 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
I have the Nikon equiv. to that which is the 28-70 2.8 and it hardly ever comes off my camera.

I wish Nikon made 24-120 2.8 lens. I would grab that in a minute because for me that would be the perfect focal length.

My experience precisely.  I do a lot of shooting for editorial clients with the 24-120VR, but even with VR I curse the lack of wider apertures, since I almost always have more depth of field than I want.  But, if you've got to work quickly enough that changing lenses loses you shots, that focal length range is perfect.  The 28-70 ends up on my camera bodies when I know I need crystal sharp images, and can afford to swap lenses once in awhile.

Dunno if it's true about Canon glass, but in Nikon's lenses, it's important to think about how the images from different lenses look together.  There's a "trinity" in Nikon's lenses, 17-35, 28-70, and 80-200 or 70-200, all AFS, where all the lenses produce images that very much have the same character.  I was told in a Nikon-run seminar that they were engineered to be that way, and that the 17-55DX lens is much like the others.  Other Nikkors can be just as sharp etc, but something about images shot with them you'll be able to pick out quite easily.  Example: the 50mm 1.4 is really close to the trinity, but the 50 1.8 isn't.  The 40mm 2.8 is almost precisely the same look as the trinity.

Sounds small, but if you shoot things where your images will be shot across a couple days, at a bunch of different focal lengths, and the images all have to appear together - it's pretty important.  Otherwise you find yourself in photoshop trying to get the character to match, which is a combination of really tiny differences in contrast, color rendition, and how high contrast edges are handled.  Having done it twice, I will NEVER do it again.

Jul 12 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Dont worry about the lens at any aperture it will resolve more than your rebel can capture.

Jul 12 05 09:55 am Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Posted by StudioGuru: 
Dont worry about the lens at any aperture it will resolve more than your rebel can capture.

Now ain't that the truth.......

Honestly that is true for most lenses....

Jul 12 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 

Posted by StudioGuru: 

Now ain't that the truth.......

Honestly that is true for most lenses....

Over here the 24-70 f2.8 forms part of "most lenses", so surely you just contradicted yourself?

Jul 13 05 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Photographer in LA

Los Angeles, California, US

24-70 kicks ass! one thing people seem to overlook when it coes to sharp and not sharp especially when comparing digital Canon lenes and Nikon.
This is more of an FYI:
Nikon CCD artificially sharpens the image
Canon CMOS will not unless you set it to. When the D2X (Nikons first CMOS) first came out people were complaining of it not being as sharp and of course it wasnt due to the new sensor.

Jul 13 05 02:22 pm Link