Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Proofing printers

Retoucher

Aphoristic Precise

Los Angeles, California, US

I use a Canon i9900, lately I've been having difficulty getting accurate color having switched to a different machine. Its printing that pink cast that most other people I've talked to complain about.

When printing, what conversations do you personally use trying to avoid double translation with the printer? What ICC profile do you find works the best?

May 29 09 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Aphoristic Precise wrote:
I use a Canon i9900, lately I've been having difficulty getting accurate color having switched to a different machine. Its printing that pink cast that most other people I've talked to complain about.

When printing, what conversations do you personally use trying to avoid double translation with the printer? What ICC profile do you find works the best?

What does that mean?

May 30 09 07:24 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:
What does that mean?

conversions  wink  And sometimes, when things should be going right, but are not, I hear Bobs conversations go something like this

You @#$$#%$#% Damn $##%#%$ Piece of $#@$$%# Printer #@#$$##$  I should have stayed using film you @$#%#$#$# .

big_smile

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

May 30 09 07:25 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Aphoristic Precise wrote:

first do you have a calibrated monitor and a calibrated printer profile called a icc profile?  if not, that is issue number one. 

Now as for icc profiles, they should be paper/ink dependent, but in truth, paper dependent is usually enough as the ink (if its all the same brand) should be consistent enough that it won't be that noticeable.  Generic profiles, even ones offered by Canon, are just that, generic, they are based on one printer, likely an early model, possibly out of japan, not your printer, so get your own profiles made and the issue goes away completely.

I do not convert from the working space for my proofing on my own printers but rather soft proof on screen to make sure everything looks good, I then let the printer do the conversion from the working space to the icc profile on the fly.  If sending it out, I do a conversion to their icc profile and make sure they know not to color manage and print as is on their end.

Stephen Eastwood

May 30 09 07:31 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

if you have not visited this yet, take a scroll around, they also offer some generic profiles for download, and lots of info.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller … ctLineID=1

Stephen Eastwood

May 30 09 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

conversions  wink  And sometimes, when things should be going right, but are not, I hear Bobs conversations go something like this

You @#$$#%$#% Damn $##%#%$ Piece of $#@$$%# Printer #@#$$##$  I should have stayed using film you @$#%#$#$# .

big_smile

Stephen Eastwood

What is a double translation?

May 30 09 07:46 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:

well my guess, the OP was referring to going from say a working space of Adobe Rgb or ProPhoto, into a space of the printer, say canon9100_glossy, but then, the printer also runs a conversion, so it takes what has already been converted and reconverts it again to the canon 9100_glossy, which can have nasty results.  It also happens on monitors, sometimes you do a calibration and then windows applies it on top of a dedicated program and the result is an uncalibrated monitor.  Its a double calibration, or in translation. 

It may be more visible in printing, if you go from say adobe to cmyk, and then tag that new converted file as adobe rgb and then reconvert, you essentially did a double conversion.

Stephen Eastwood

May 30 09 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Michael Siu

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Robert Randall wrote:

I think it is when the printer profiling is turned on and the Photoshop profiling is also set to on resulting in a cyan cast.      Profiling should only be turned on in Photoshop with the correct paper profile setting.

May 30 09 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael Siu wrote:

I think it is when the printer profiling is turned on and the Photoshop profiling is also set to on resulting in a cyan cast.      Profiling should only be turned on in Photoshop with the correct paper profile setting.

Are you completely sure of this? I don't print anything from within PS, what happens then?

May 30 09 08:03 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Are you completely sure of this? I don't print anything from within PS, what happens then?

Typically a rip handles it, as long as it is colorspace aware, and the file is tagged correctly, and an output device profile is chosen, it should handle it for you.

Stephen Eastwood

May 30 09 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

Typically a rip handles it, as long as it is colorspace aware, and the file is tagged correctly, and an output device profile is chosen, it should handle it for you.

Stephen Eastwood

If everything is handled for me, how does this double translation while talking over cups of coffee occur?

May 30 09 08:08 am Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

How do you print? I'm going to be printing a bunch soon and it seems I have similar issues as the Op.

Printer Icc + paper Icc + image color space confusion makes Ryan sad when he looks at a magenta cast over his image.

May 30 09 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Michael Siu

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

If you use RIP for your printing process, I would expect the RIP to have similar settings.   I can't speak regarding how to print with that Driver/software as I expect all of them are different in their design.   

Using both the printer driver Profiling and the Photoshop profiling is a very common problem.   Most printer manufacturers have a detailed instructions regarding this.  Robert,  I was just trying to assist and I defer to your extensive knowledge.

May 30 09 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

slave to the lens wrote:

How do you print? I'm going to be printing a bunch soon and it seems I have similar issues as the Op.

Printer Icc + paper Icc + image color space confusion makes Ryan sad when he looks at a magenta cast over his image.

I print through a rip, which is a completely isolated bit of software that has nothing to do with PS. All the papers are generically profiled (meaning not batch to batch) to the printer, and then I press the return key, just like all the master printers do, and I get a print.

May 30 09 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael Siu wrote:
If you use RIP for your printing process, I would expect the RIP to have similar settings.   I can't speak regarding how to print with that Driver/software as I expect all of them are different in their design.   

Using both the printer driver Profiling and the Photoshop profiling is a very common problem.   Most printer manufacturers have a detailed instructions regarding this.  Robert,  I was just trying to assist and I defer to your extensive knowledge.

I was just trying to determine if you actually knew that to be true or if you were guessing. I've never heard of that translation part before.

May 30 09 09:56 am Link

Retoucher

Aphoristic Precise

Los Angeles, California, US

StephenEastwood wrote:

well my guess, the OP was referring to going from say a working space of Adobe Rgb or ProPhoto, into a space of the printer, say canon9100_glossy, but then, the printer also runs a conversion, so it takes what has already been converted and reconverts it again to the canon 9100_glossy, which can have nasty results.  It also happens on monitors, sometimes you do a calibration and then windows applies it on top of a dedicated program and the result is an uncalibrated monitor.  Its a double calibration, or in translation. 

It may be more visible in printing, if you go from say adobe to cmyk, and then tag that new converted file as adobe rgb and then reconvert, you essentially did a double conversion.

Stephen Eastwood

Yes that's exactly what I was talking about.

I'm working on a calibrated monitor. I have a feeling its something to do with the paper I'm using, which is an Epson Matte for proofing.

Its printing a pretty weird pink cast.

May 30 09 12:36 pm Link