Forums > General Industry > Spain says okay to steal photos, movies

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

A criminal court in Spain has thrown out charges against a man who admitted downloading well over 3000 movies because he had not made any profit directly from his file sharing and claimed he had no plans to do so. While the case involved movies, reports indicated that he had also infringed many thousands of still images.

This "infringement is okay" policy has become something of a standard policy in Spain, where the law makes it perfectly legal to copy files "non-commercially." The law and rulings have helped make Spain one of the most popular countries for movie and still photo piracy.

Spanish courts have ruled that if the infringer "directly" profits from the illicit distribution, such as by charging for downloads or burning the material onto DVD's for distribution, he is guilty of crimes. However, the courts have also ruled that even "indirect" profit, such as using traffic to make money from Google ads, is not a crime.

The second scenario is the most common piracy business model on the web. But in Spain, it is so far considered not a crime.

Oddly enough, in the past some bittorrent trackers, especially those who earn a lot of revenue from their file infringement, have been found guilty in Spain and have often moved to other, more bittorrent-friendly, countries.

Jun 02 09 10:22 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Welcome to the New World Order. Within ten years or so, the publishing, motion picture and music industries will be gone.

Jun 02 09 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

I don't think it should be a crime to download pics from the www.  lord knows I have...
The crime would be trying to pass them off as your own or make profit from them.
Good for that guy!

Jun 02 09 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

What's the big deal? Plenty of people save stuff they see on the web, wehther it be a lolcat, and inspiring picture, or a youtube video.

Jun 02 09 10:31 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

seriously it is a smart move from the spanish gouvernement because they can't stop it
what you don't say is they are thinking about a tax on computers and providers services to feed the artists
less stupid than the french , we have a new law , only repressive, but a kid of 4 is able to get an anonymous ip
expensive , useless and inefficient
shame on us
tb

Jun 02 09 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

glamour pics wrote:
The second scenario is the most common piracy business model on the web. But in Spain, it is so far considered not a crime.

Why should it be considered a crime, as opposed to a civil wrong?

Jun 02 09 10:35 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Ex Voto  Studio wrote:
I don't think it should be a crime to download pics from the www.  lord knows I have...
The crime would be trying to pass them off as your own or make profit from them.
Good for that guy!

Davepit wrote:
What's the big deal? Plenty of people save stuff they see on the web, wehther it be a lolcat, and inspiring picture, or a youtube video.

You guys need to go back & re-read it.  What is says is that if I live in Spain I can download your photos & Lady GaGa's songs & Mirimax's movies and then post them on my own site with Google ads I make money for & let everyone else download them.  So I'm making $$$ of all that work.

It's not quite the same as DLing it for personal use.

Jun 02 09 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Stu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

maybe some kind of article linkage so I can read about it myself...

and not completely depend on your interpretation...

Jun 02 09 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

SLE Photography wrote:

Ex Voto  Studio wrote:
Good for that guy!

You guys need to go back & re-read it.  What is says is that if I live in Spain I can download your photos & Lady GaGa's songs & Mirimax's movies and then post them on my own site with Google ads I make money for & let everyone else download them.  So I'm making $$$ of all that work.

No I don't. I was talking about this:

A criminal court in Spain has thrown out charges against a man who admitted downloading well over 3000 movies because he had not made any profit directly from his file sharing and claimed he had no plans to do so. While the case involved movies, reports indicated that he had also infringed many thousands of still images.

Jun 02 09 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Haarvey Aardvark

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Prevailing standards are changing. Adapt or die. Content producers are going to lose out, yes. But perhaps this gives us new opportunities as well.

Jun 02 09 11:26 am Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Davepit wrote:

Why should it be considered a crime, as opposed to a civil wrong?

Infringement for profit is a crime under USA law and under the law of many countries. This is so whether the profit is direct (eg. by burning DVD's and selling them) or indirect (eg. by attracting traffic with stolen material and profiting from ads shown to that traffic.) In addition, in many countries, infringement is a crime even without profit or a profit motive. As well it should be; since the victim is injured whether or not the criminal him/herself profits.

The same acts are also a civil wrong ("tort").

Jun 02 09 11:44 am Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Haarvey Aardvark wrote:
Prevailing standards are changing. Adapt or die. Content producers are going to lose out, yes. But perhaps this gives us new opportunities as well.

It certainly does make new opportunities. Especially for those who are thieves.

Jun 02 09 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Haarvey Aardvark

glamour pics wrote:

It certainly does make new opportunities. Especially for those who are thieves.

I just downloaded every photo in your portfolio and stored it in my web browser cache.

Does that make me a thief?

How much money did you lose from this?

Jun 02 09 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Ex Voto  Studio wrote:
Good for that guy!

Is this any different from those "images of the day" blogs that download pics from MM or DA and post them on blogs.

See those banner ads on MM? Guess what's happening? That's right MM is using our images and profiles to make money based on traffic.

This is a minor nuisance which to me is offset by the marketing of my images to new viewers. If it helps me shine, this is a minor price to pay.

Jun 02 09 11:51 am Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Wichita, Kansas, US

Davepit wrote:

I save pictures from the web all the time for outfit ideas, location ideas, or general great shots.

Jun 02 09 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Haarvey Aardvark wrote:

I just downloaded every photo in your portfolio and stored it in my web browser cache.

Does that make me a thief?

How much money did you lose from this?

The photos were there as a portfolio/samples. The more applicable question would be, "I just downloaded 3,000 movies and 100,000 still images, none of which the owners gave permission to use this way, and made them available for the world to copy. How did I hurt the owners of those images?"

Jun 02 09 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dragon Ink - Sean William

Hackettstown, New Jersey, US

http://techdirt.com/article_main.php?si … 2312145072

This was the only article I could find.  I find it odd that it's also linked to torrent sites.

Jun 02 09 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

c_d_s wrote:
Welcome to the New World Order. Within ten years or so, the publishing, motion picture and music industries will be gone.

Dramatic much? lol

now if you mean the authoritarian control that big corporations have over their brands, then you may well be right and I hope it happens because of the big players and not despite them. That is they have to start listening to their audience. Most of these issues have nothing to do with stealing so much as freeing up content delivery. As an example, I missed Leno's last show. I have cable and would have been entitled to view it. But I was too busy drinking that night and forgot. No problem I'll just go over to my friend's place who PVR'd it, again fully within the law. Well guess what he was drinking too and forgot. So now I try to catch it on NBC's site but can't because they have my Canadian IP blocked. So I have to become a "thief" and find an "illegally" hosted version somewhere. This is a "crime" that never really existed except for the unreasonable controlling actions of the content owner. So good for Spain, it beats dragging grannies and kids to court for millions in so-called damages.

Jun 02 09 01:12 pm Link

Digital Artist

alegion

Astoria, Oregon, US

c_d_s wrote:

This has been happening for many years..since there have been recording devices. Motion picture companies...recording studios will continue to still make millions if not billions.

Jun 02 09 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Dragon Ink Photography wrote:
http://techdirt.com/article_main.php?sid=20090531/2312145072

This was the only article I could find.  I find it odd that it's also linked to torrent sites.

The article is incomplete, slanted, pro-infringement, and in some ways factually false. For example, the use of the term "file-sharing" is both biased and factually false, since what is being done is continuing creation of new copies. A more factual term would be "file-copying" and yes, copying in this way is one of the specific types of copyright infringement.

There have been other articles on the topic, besides my quick one which I posted directly here.

Jun 02 09 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

lightonpixels

New York, New York, US

c_d_s wrote:

publishing and entertainment industries need to evolve their business models to reflect current and future economic and technological realities.

the 19th century business model that all the aforementioned industries cling to can not survive 21st century technology.  instead of seeing the digital marketplace as something  to be, at best, tolerated, they need to embrace it and learn how to compete within it.  if not, then, as you predict, they will be gone.

Jun 02 09 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

glamour pics wrote:

The article is incomplete, slanted, pro-infringement, and in some ways factually false. For example, the use of the term "file-sharing" is both biased and factually false, since what is being done is continuing creation of new copies. A more factual term would be "file-copying" and yes, copying in this way is one of the specific types of copyright infringement.

There have been other articles on the topic, besides my quick one which I posted directly here.

what is it that you're against? Because I get a sense of VCR deja vu whenever I read the industry defender's take on file sharing. Are you satisfied with the status quo of heavy-handed content control? Do you see that the technology brings a new set or parameters for industry to work with rather than against?

Jun 02 09 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Magnus Hedemark

glamour pics wrote:
The article is incomplete, slanted, pro-infringement, and in some ways factually false. For example, the use of the term "file-sharing" is both biased and factually false

Ah so it was dishonest of them to use common-use English rather than some term that you just concocted to slant the bias back in your favor? But if it were biased in your favor it would be OK?

Jun 03 09 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

glamour pics wrote:

Infringement for profit is a crime under USA law and under the law of many countries. This is so whether the profit is direct (eg. by burning DVD's and selling them) or indirect (eg. by attracting traffic with stolen material and profiting from ads shown to that traffic.) In addition, in many countries, infringement is a crime even without profit or a profit motive. As well it should be; since the victim is injured whether or not the criminal him/herself profits.

The same acts are also a civil wrong ("tort").

My question was why it should be considered a crime. Just because I injure someone wrongfully doesn't mean my actions should be criminal.

Jun 03 09 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

ever heard of "NETFLIX"....?

Jun 03 09 05:40 am Link

Photographer

DevotedCreatives Studio

CGI Images wrote:

I save pictures from the web all the time for outfit ideas, location ideas, or general great shots.

Precisely, show me a man, woman or child that doesnt!

Jun 03 09 08:08 am Link

Photographer

David Westlake

Mansfield Center, Connecticut, US

Spain's copyright laws have always been very loose. Many celebrities images appear in Spanish ads without permission.

Jun 04 09 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Haarvey Aardvark wrote:

Name one "new opportunity" please. 

If you really believe that their is "opportunity" in this, I would be happy to take all of your images here on MM and distribute them randomly (with or without attribution) to anyone who wishes to have a copy.  If you see opportunity in that, let me know.  I can start distributing your images today.  Of course, you will receive no compensation.

Jun 05 09 01:49 am Link

Photographer

sl3966

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Digitoxin wrote:

On Sunday, May 4th, Trent Reznor was putting the finishing touches on a new Nine Inch Nails album in his Los Angeles studio. Around 9:30 p.m., after listening to the 10 tracks one last time, he sent them electronically to the company that manages his Website. Just after midnight, The Slip — a raw, straight-up rock record heavy on live drums, guitar and piano — appeared as a free download at NIN.com, along with a message from Reznor: "Thank you for your continued and loyal support over the years — this one's on me."

The award winning Canadian documentary ‘The Corporation’ has been released on BitTorrent for free. Filmmaker Mark Achbar just released an updated “official” torrent of it. Everyone is free to download, watch, discuss, and share it.
He added, “my only regret is that I didn’t put up my own torrent sooner.”

Not to mention the many indie bands and filmmakers that make things available for download and gain fans and exposure.

Jun 05 09 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Digitoxin wrote:

sl3966 wrote:
On Sunday, May 4th, Trent Reznor was putting the finishing touches on a new Nine Inch Nails album in his Los Angeles studio. Around 9:30 p.m., after listening to the 10 tracks one last time, he sent them electronically to the company that manages his Website. Just after midnight, The Slip — a raw, straight-up rock record heavy on live drums, guitar and piano — appeared as a free download at NIN.com, along with a message from Reznor: "Thank you for your continued and loyal support over the years — this one's on me."
The award winning Canadian documentary ‘The Corporation’ has been released on BitTorrent for free. Filmmaker Mark Achbar just released an updated “official” torrent of it. Everyone is free to download, watch, discuss, and share it.
He added, “my only regret is that I didn’t put up my own torrent sooner.”

..............Not to mention the many indie bands and filmmakers that make things available for download and gain fans and exposure.

ALL of the uses that you mention have one thing in common........ The distribution of the "free" content is CONTROLLED by the artist AND come with ATTRIBUTION.  Can you tell me how having some hack swipe my images without my consent (and not part of a a carefully crafted overall branding strategy) and, then,  distribute them to ANYONE without attribution to me is beneficial to me or presents some kind of new "opportunity"?

Jun 05 09 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Mark Stout Photography

Same trend is underway here in the US.  Read up on the Orphaned Works act they keep trying to get through. Anyone can download any image off the net and say they attempted to locate the copyright holder and failed to do so and they are off the hook.  Oddly enough large corporations such as Disney will never be affected by it as it is so clear who owns the copyright no one could ever get away with it. And some of the large companies that SHOULD diligently be working to protect copyright support it... obviously a double standard in which they expect to use the images of others free, but jail anyone who uses their copyrighted works (both ABC and Fox TV have attemped to get me to provide images to them free of charge!!!!).  One of the big backers of this bill is a stock photo agency that would become one of the places to register images in ADDITION to the copyright office, at hefty fees, and they have software in place to scour the internet in search of non registered images, which they can then claim for their own profit.  Many are also paying lip service to copyright protection BUT TRY TO GET GOOGLE OR YAHOO TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST A COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT CREATED BY ONE OF THEIR BLOGGERS OR NEWSGROUPS AND HAVE THE IMAGES SIMPLY TAKEN DOWN, IT IS EASIER TO FILE A CRIMINAL CASE.

How do we protect ourselves?  Learn copyright law.  Learn standard pricing and usage structures. NEVER give an inch, they are already taking a mile... and take the time to write follow the issues affecting our copyrights and DEMAND they protect our copyrights.  Unfortunately, the entire world seems to be moving to a mentality of slavery (not recognizing that slavery has never worked) and it takes LOUD DEMANDS to make our voices heard.

The time to do this is NOW.  Once we have lost the right to profit from our own work we will never get it back.
Mark
http://markstoutphotography.com

Jun 05 09 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Mark Stout Photography

Davepit wrote:
My question was why it should be considered a crime. Just because I injure someone wrongfully doesn't mean my actions should be criminal.

Excuse Me?????  Do you think you have the right to harm others????

Jun 05 09 03:28 am Link

Photographer

sl3966

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Digitoxin wrote:

Digitoxin wrote:

ALL of the uses that you mention have one thing in common........ The distribution of the "free" content is CONTROLLED by the artist AND come with ATTRIBUTION.  Can you tell me how having some hack swipe my images without my consent (and not part of a a carefully crafted overall branding strategy) and, then,  distribute them to ANYONE without attribution to me is beneficial to me or presents some kind of new "opportunity"?

Was the guy in the article distributing the files? I must have missed that part.

Jun 05 09 03:44 am Link