Forums > General Industry > Paying model & the benefit out of it

Photographer

Viva La Twenty Five

Miami, Florida, US

my question is.

When a new photog pays an experienced locally known model and does a great job... along with locals recognizing them, does that photog get...

(a) new models eager to book & compensate
(b) a few other local known models seeking TF
(c) a little of both "a & b"
(d) all models willing to pay
(e) nothing at all really happens
(f) other

what's ur take lol.

Jun 04 09 09:01 pm Link

Model

Mika

Miami, Florida, US

25inches wrote:
my question is.

When a new photog pays an experienced locally known model and does a great job... along with locals recognizing them, does that photog get...

(f) other

what's ur take lol.

I would guess C. IMO, anyway.

Jun 04 09 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

What you get is this........a fast track to developing your portfolio. Normally it takes months, perhaps even years to build your book to the point where in demand agency models are willing to work with you for trade. Some people never even reach that point.

If you pay those models right away, then you get them in your book now instead of having to slowly struggle and hope that you catch a break with an agency letting you shoot their new faces.

Once you have those girls with marketable looks in your book, yes other models and non-models will want to shoot with you for the same reason they buy products in magazines.

The model sells her image in those photos, and the reader associates those products with the image itself. So they think by buying Versace clothing, they can be like the type of person portrayed by the model in those advertisements.

Likewise other models will see that successful and well known working model in your portfolio, and they will think that maybe they should be shooting with you if they also want to be successful.

Jun 04 09 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

You forgot about "learning"......

A new photographer that has a few shoots under his/her belt and learn a LOT from a agency-quality experienced model.  Paying a few of them can really jump-start a book. 

The same is true in reverse.

Jun 05 09 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Other:

A willingness to pay more offers more shoot opportunities.    In my experience that's all it offers.   Some of my best images come from working with models on a first ever shoot.   Having a well known model in your portfolio may attract a few less talented models, but also may increase expectations of you paying or paying more.   I've never had a model say they will or will not work with me based on having or not having a model represented in my portfolio.

Jun 05 09 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

(f) other

I get to shoot my projects on my schedule with no need to ever provide the model with anything other that a few bucks for modeling.

For me the time savings alone is worth it.

Jun 05 09 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Jaded Image

London, England, United Kingdom

Out of the options i'd say e). Paying one model does NOT have other models flocking to your door, either for TFP or other paid work.

Jun 05 09 07:22 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

25inches wrote:
my question is.

(f) other

what's ur take lol.

Paying a well known model to shoot with you usually provides you with several things.

1. a proven model with known talents
2. other models will perceive the addition of the pro model’s images to your port as additional incentive to work with you – the concept of ‘shooting up’ is quite important
3. if you provide images to the pro model and she adds them to her port you will increase the traffic to your profile
4. using a pro model will likely increase the favorable view of your peers – in other words, you’ve made it to the ‘big time’

Realistically using a pro model will allow your professional status to grow at a quicker rate. You may not see a marked increase in models coming to you for paid shoots but you will likely see an increase in the number of models coming to you and allowing you to work your salesmanship wonders on them.

Jun 05 09 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Jaded Image

London, England, United Kingdom

Jun 05 09 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Dr JoJo Suicide wrote:
Paying a well known model to shoot with you usually provides you with several things.
2. other models will perceive the addition of the pro model’s images to your port as additional incentive to work with you – the concept of ‘shooting up’ is quite important
4. using a pro model will likely increase the favorable view of your peers – in other words, you’ve made it to the ‘big time’

I don't see how it does these two things.  It simply means you parted with your money to get a model.  GWCs do this all the time.  The photographers I admire often get talented models in trade because their images are worth it to these models.

Jun 05 09 11:31 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Digitoxin wrote:
You forgot about "learning"......

A new photographer that has a few shoots under his/her belt and learn a LOT from a agency-quality experienced model.  Paying a few of them can really jump-start a book. 

The same is true in reverse.

Agreed 100%.

Jun 05 09 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

"does that photog get... "

A little of C. and a whole lot of E - At least that was my experience.

My first nudes were with a exceptional professional model - I felt that It was well worth the cost, to have at least one person that was experienced at the shoot.  Best money I ever spent - Still terribly proud of the results.

But, in the OP's scenario - the total of great results with professional model - One.

One good shoot is great - but, it's not like they start calling you 24-7 - In fact, a photographers visual status may have just inched up from "Ghastly" to "One hit wonder"

You gotta be able to deliver the goods - on demand - in all conditions. - - and even then, even great artists have been known to starve.

So, in my case, my first "pro-shoot" turned out great - taught me more than I could have imagined - and created an occasional "C" and a whole lotta E.

VintageV

Jun 05 09 10:00 pm Link