Forums > General Industry > Fashion standards for models:

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

I came across this article on the New York Times website.  It's on Dov Charney's of American Apparel.

I thought some here might be interested since there have been many threads on tattoos, and piercings and if they affect a model’s career.

I think it’s interesting reading for those interested in their true marketability with such a retailer.

In the interest of not posting copyrighted material I have posted the link.    It's a pretty long article and for those who want to read the whole thing here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/magaz … ted=1&_r=1

Go to page 4 and the second paragraph across from READERS OPINION:

Paraphrase:
Dov Charney: …likes clean makeup, trimmed eyebrows, long hair "You never see a girl we shot with short hair," he said. "That's unnatural."
Tattoos and piercings, he says are "very 2001". 

Charney seeks "style.  He goes on to say, "When you have it, it's immediately evident; you're "on point."  He also says that people with style recognize others with style.

Jun 05 09 06:05 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

It's pretty much understood that for fashion or commercial work, generally a very natural look is most sought after.

Jun 05 09 06:44 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm not sure how relevant Dov Charney's views on what he wants his models to look like are to fashion standards.  AA doesn't use fashion models for most of their ads. Not that I don't agree that tattoos and piercings generally work against a mainstream model, but Dov Charney's opinion is nothing more than a coincidence.

The "I like trimmed eyebrows but short hair is unnatural" thing is pretty funny to me. He's talking about his personal taste in women here, not fashion standards.

Jun 05 09 08:41 am Link