Forums > General Industry > What would you do if a photographer had the nerve

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

Generally speaking so there is no outing here, if you had a photographer ask to do a shoot with you (TFP) and there wasn't anything that made you say WOW in their portfolio, yet it wasn't bad quality work. Your deciding factor to work with this person is because right off the bat he says that he will have his MUA join us (for TFP as well) ..... then later down the road when it gets closer to the date and we are confirming things he keeps avoiding questions about the MUA and when I ask if she is coming for sure he says "I think so"

So My question to you all is what would you do if this happened to you and either he says right before the shoot that the MUA won't be there or if I show up and she isn't there? Normally I wouldn't mind and do my own makeup, but in this case I didn't really want to shoot with him in the first place but because we had a MUA joining us, I believe I could get some post-able images from this shoot

FYI for detail purposes I am driving out of my town for an hour to get to his studio "travel" expenses I would pay my own way.

Jun 05 09 10:23 am Link

Photographer

AUTONOMY

Post hidden on Jun 05, 2009 11:16 am
Reason: not helpful

Jun 05 09 10:24 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

A Side question: Do you think some photographers actually bait models for a TFP shoot with promising MUAs, Hair Stylist, etc. knowing they don't have the connections or knowing that they won't get one?!

EDIT: For my reputation as a Model I will go through the shoot as planned weather I have a MUA or not but I was just wanting others opinions about this smile

Jun 05 09 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Yes it happens all the time.

Get all details before you book a date.
Including the MUA that will be working with you guys.

Jun 05 09 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Sockpuppet Studios  wrote:

yes, and talk to the MUA yourself

Jun 05 09 10:29 am Link

Model

Its Me Sarah

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I always ask who the MUA is bc most the time they need to talk to you about your skin hair ect to make sure you are allergic to anything and what type of skin do u have yada yada so just say you need to talk to her about your skin care stuff if he doesnt give it to you be like I cant work with you he didnt hold his end of the deal up cancel

Jun 05 09 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

Probably correlates to the amount of models who over promise and under deliver.  wink

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Laurel Rae wrote:
Normally I wouldn't mind and do my own makeup, but in this case I didn't really want to shoot with him in the first place but because we had a MUA joining us, I believe I could get some post-able images from this shoot

You shouldn't have agreed to the shoot in the first place.  What would you have done if the MUA had flaked (in that he'd thought she was coming too)?

Laurel Rae wrote:
A Side question: Do you think some photographers actually bait models for a TFP shoot with promising MUAs, Hair Stylist, etc. knowing they don't have the connections or knowing that they won't get one?!

I'm sure it happens.  I certainly have dealt with stranger situations.  Of course, I'm not sure how you'd know, really.

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Who have you been working with ?
Do people really deal with crap like this?
Wow and I am sure the guy wanting to shoot with you has
15- 20 yrs as a pro too( they all seem to say that ) , MUA is not bait for a TFP.
MUA is a standard necessity for any shoot, and the Model will be paying the MUA,
and things are Made so Much easier when Things are Paid for , like the Photographer , MUA , Model, etc .
And are you that hard up for pictures you have to "settle" for people who's work you really DONT like anyway ?

Just turn it down right off the bat .

It just sounds like a Bad deal  for everyone involved.

Jun 05 09 10:33 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

Frog516 wrote:

I know thats when I asked for the MM # so I could talk to her he didn't answer my question and asked a question of his own like do you have blue high heels?

Jun 05 09 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Frog516 wrote:

I ask the model to make contact with any makeup artist that will be on the team so they may go over pre shoot preparation including any allergies the model might have.

Jun 05 09 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
MUA is not bait for a TFP.
MUA is a standard necessity for any shoot, and the Model will be paying the MUA,

Wow.  While I agree with you, I think the majority on MM think the photographer should pay for the MUA., along with everything else, LOL.

Jun 05 09 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

I ask the model to make contact with any makeup artist that will be on the team so they may go over pre shoot preparation including any allergies the model might have.

That too. Very important.

Jun 05 09 10:39 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

'MUA is a standard necessity for any shoot'.

Nothing quiet like giving out the wrong information.

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

ESCALANTE wrote:
Who have you been working with ?
Do people really deal with crap like this?
Wow and I am sure the guy wanting to shoot with you have
15- 20 yrs as a pro too
, MUA is not bait for a TFP.
and things are Made so Much easier when Things are Paid for , like the Photographer , MUA , Model, etc .
And are you that hard up for pictures you have to "settle" for people who's work you really DONT like anyway ?

Just turn it down right off the bat .

It just sounds like a Bad deal  for everyone involved.

+1

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
'MUA is a standard necessity for any shoot'.

Nothing quiet like giving out the wrong information.

Not reading between the lines, we all have our set standards. I do believe ESCALANTE was referring to his.

Jun 05 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

DVine Studio

Westbrook, Connecticut, US

If you already didn't like the quality of his work, a MUA wouldn't make a huge difference. I'd cancel. You have a nice port.. look for photographers who will give you something more than you already have.

Jun 05 09 10:41 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

AUTONOMY wrote:
5, 4, 3, 2.5, 1....

Um Blastoff!! Ha no..what's that supposed to mean?

Jun 05 09 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You could say, "I agreed to this shoot on the premise that a MUA was going to be provided. Since there isn't a MUA here, I'm going to leave."

Or you could say, "If you want, we could negotiate a new deal right now - I'll stay if you're hiring me!"

Jun 05 09 10:43 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

I wanted to shoot with him in the first place to work with another MUA! here in Tucson, AZ there are a limited number of MUAs and and even smaller number (about 3) that still do TFP...I was just wanting to work with more people to get more experience since I had that day free, but without her I think it would not be "worth it" for me but then I would feel REALLY BAD because I haven't ever cancelled on anyone because all of the photographers came through with what they said they were going to do and I had a great time with them, although this one I have second thoughts about and that is why I made this thread.

EDIT: I started modeling about 3 months ago, when I created my MM portfolio and all my images in there are from within that short time I have been modeling smile

Jun 05 09 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

Think of the Photographer as a Bus Driver....you don't take the bus and say. Hey is this a tfp ride and can you have a mua an hairstylist while im rideing the bus.

If you are serious about your modeling. You need to treat it as a job and not, Hey What perks can i get for free Free Free Free free. I always tell the models if you want an MUA or Hairstylist you need to supply that to any shoot we have. I offer my photography skills studio time and most of all my props and outfits that i have included with my shoots. How dare you come to my shoots unprepared and unproffesional.

for TFP shoots I give what i recieve from the model.

Jun 05 09 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Laurel Rae wrote:

It means he has nothing intelligent to add to the conversation, and he is hoping it turns into a train wreck thread.

Jun 05 09 10:50 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

dave wright sf wrote:
You could say, "I agreed to this shoot on the premise that a MUA was going to be provided. Since there isn't a MUA here, I'm going to leave."

Or you could say, "If you want, we could negotiate a new deal right now - I'll stay if you're hiring me!"

Ouch! I'd rather suck it up, and do the shoot than look like a DIVA! scary

EDIT: I just want to know how to handle this in the most professional way.

Jun 05 09 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Laurel Rae wrote:

Frog516 wrote:
It means he has nothing intelligent to add to the conversation, and he is hoping it turns into a train wreck thread.

I thought those type of postings were against the [site] rules?

Jun 05 09 10:52 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Laurel Rae wrote:

I know thats when I asked for the MM # so I could talk to her he didn't answer my question and asked a question of his own like do you have blue high heels?

I've included a MUA sometimes, and one of them isn't on MM, so I passed a phone number and email to the model.

It's certainly possible that sometime the MUA won't show up, and that would be a pain.  For everyone concerned.  Just like if the MUA and photographer show up and the model doesn't, or whatever combination.  I can't see lying about it, but I'm sure it happens.

Jun 05 09 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Laurel Rae wrote:

Ouch! I'd rather suck it up, and do the shoot than look like a DIVA! scary

Insist on him giving you the MUAs info. If he can not, just cancel the shoot (if you want to).

Jun 05 09 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Innovative Imagery wrote:
Wow.  While I agree with you, I think the majority on MM think the photographer should pay for the MUA., along with everything else, LOL.

Sorry , I am speaking for myself, I never do tf* of any type so portfolio shoots
are all paid for. The Mua & My Self are Paid for By the Model.
In commercial Shoots , The Client covers the expenses as well as the cost of the Team involved.
That is how it works in my world , can't realy speak for anyone else.

E

To the OP Read this ----> www.NewModels.com  Buy the book also.

Jun 05 09 10:54 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Is it me or is there a contradiction by the op.
'I did'nt want to shoot with him'.
'I wanted to shoot with him'.

Photographer

Nicole Chan

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What's the purpose of shooting with a photographer that doesn't produce quality images?  It doesn't matter if the MUA is there - The photos may still come out like crap. =P

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Laurel Rae wrote:

I thought those type of postings were against the [site] rules?

They are, but I was leaving it up for a little while so people can see it. So they can form an opinion of how helpful some people are.

Jun 05 09 10:55 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I make it a point to always do what I say I will do.  In your case if you show up with no MUA then shoot.  In my case I have had a number of models who showed up for a TFCD shoot and were 10 years older than their posted pictures and/or 30 pounds heavier than their images or had terrible acne they had neglected to tell me about. I shot them like I said I would.

Jun 05 09 10:55 am Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Innovative Imagery wrote:

Like everything else, it's negotiable.  Some models I don't use one, some I would ask to pay the MUA, others I'd happily provide one.  Same as who pays who vs a trade shoot.

Jun 05 09 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

dave wright sf wrote:

Laurel Rae wrote:
Ouch! I'd rather suck it up, and do the shoot than look like a DIVA! (lame cat.jpg)

You would be [professional] by stating what your willing to bring to the table if he agrees to bring his end of the bargain.

It's a two way street if he contacted you and I feel he would/should be responsible for securing the makeup artist that you approve of.

There is no shame to saying no thank you.

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

As for the Bus driver analogy everybody has a different way of doing things where their norm is that they provide the MUA and the Model provides wardrobe, or Model provides Hair, MUA and wardrobe and photographer just takes care of the photography...BUT since everyone is different, the way it works is one person offers their terms and the other agrees or passes.

In this case he offered, I agreed and I want to know how how to handle it when/if he goes back on what he said he was going to do.

As for the train wreck countdown, thanks for your immaturity I am actually trying to get useful information out of this not just 'Newbie bashing', Thanks!

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Nicole Chan wrote:
What's the purpose of shooting with a photographer that doesn't produce quality images?  It doesn't matter if the MUA is there - The photos may still come out like crap. =P

I think she said so that she could work with a new MUA; networking and the chance that the MUA makes enough of a difference to make the photos worthwhile to her.

Jun 05 09 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

I believe she stated his work was not "WOW" but wasn't bad. So the main thing was the MUA. He is a capable photographer, but without a good MUA the work would just be "eh". That is my interpretation of the situation

Jun 05 09 10:58 am Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Okay let me clarify...
I didn't want to shoot with him alone.
I wanted to shoot with him if he provided the MUA he mentioned who would join us in hopes that a team effort would boost the end result of the photos

EDIT: 'Where I say I wanted to shoot with him' please include the rest of the sentence so people don't get the wrong idea I really said "I wanted to shoot with him in the first place to work with another MUA! " Look at the above post...

Jun 05 09 11:00 am Link

Retoucher

Hellan Judd - Retouch

London, England, United Kingdom

If you don't like his work in the first place, what made you think having a MUA would make any difference to the outcome?

What's the point? It's like bringing a bottle of mustard to a cheesecake party.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jun 05 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Laurel Rae wrote:
Generally speaking so there is no outing here, if you had a photographer ask to do a shoot with you (TFP) and there wasn't anything that made you say WOW in their portfolio, yet it wasn't bad quality work. Your deciding factor to work with this person is because right off the bat he says that he will have his MUA join us (for TFP as well) ..... then later down the road when it gets closer to the date and we are confirming things he keeps avoiding questions about the MUA and when I ask if she is coming for sure he says "I think so"

So My question to you all is what would you do if this happened to you and either he says right before the shoot that the MUA won't be there or if I show up and she isn't there? Normally I wouldn't mind and do my own makeup, but in this case I didn't really want to shoot with him in the first place but because we had a MUA joining us, I believe I could get some post-able images from this shoot

FYI for detail purposes I am driving out of my town for an hour to get to his studio "travel" expenses I would pay my own way.

This may be a silly question but why would you agree to a shoot even with a MUA
if you didn't think his work was all that good.  Further:  Lets say the MUA shows
up and their work is poor.  In my case I can't guarantee a MUA for TFP so I can
only guess the photographer you referenced may be in the same boat.

MUA or not it might be best not to shoot with people who's work you
don't consider good.

Jun 05 09 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I want to just bang my head against the wall after reading wave after wave of threads in the forums started by people who are scared to death to communicate with people.

Every time you communicate with a photographer, model, MUA, etc., it's all about agreements. His agreement with you was to provide an MUA and your agreement was to do the shoot if he provided one although my bet is your side of the agreement was never communicated to him so he feels no real pressure to provide one. When he said he would have an MUA on the shoot, I'd bet your response was probably "OK" instead of "I'll happily do the shoot with you if you provide an MUA. If one is not available, then I'll have to pass."  Simple simple simple! This establishes where you stand and what you need. Don't be a pushover and be afraid to actually talk once in a while. The instant the photographer said "I think so" to your question as to the MUA, you shouldn't have had 5 million "what ifs" running through your head and posted a thread in a model forum, it should have been a real simple, "Is that a yes, or is that a no? If you're not sure, then please confirm it with them and get back to me as soon as you can. If we need to reschedule when you've got one confirmed, then that's fine too."

Jun 05 09 11:05 am Link