Forums > General Industry > attention cali people!!your help is needed!!

Model

Nia Ambrosia

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

hey, has anyone ever heard of a guy by the name of Johnathan
Scott or Johnathan Christopher,he claims to be a manager out in California, i think San Diego, not quite sure, he also said he use to be a casting producer at Baby  Phat, maybe some Cali people could help me out, is he legitimate? He said he wants to be my manager but i don't know much about the guy, he called me at seven in the morning claiming to be testing my loyalty to him if he was my manager, is that a red flag? Someone help me out, i am confused!

Jun 05 09 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Darker

Gustine, California, US

I don't believe a legitimate agent would be "testing your loyalty." Trust your instincts.

Jun 05 09 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

webbed foot photography

Los Alamitos, California, US

I agree. Trust your instincts. Calling at 7am to 'test your loyalty' sounds fishy and desperate to me.

Jun 05 09 01:08 pm Link

Model

Nia Ambrosia

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Thanks, you are probably right, i do have an uneasy feeling about it..

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Yasonia wrote:
he called me at seven in the morning claiming to be testing my loyalty to him if he was my manager, is that a red flag?

Are you kidding me?

Re-read this a few times, and think about it, and tell us what YOU think.

Model

J_Lange

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Weirdo - Managers on MM are a big no-no.
Be safe.

Photographer

DE Reynolds

San Antonio, Texas, US

and you don't need a manager, ever

Jun 05 09 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

www.newmodels.com

Learn how the business works.

Call the cops on the guy , sounds more like a Pimp then anything else.

Where did he get your number from ?
Ask for telephone numbers , contact names ,etc ,this is the same thing as if you were applying for a Job ,

Check out the information on people and don't give out your personal information with just anyone.

Common sense . Use it.

Jun 05 09 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Yasonia wrote:
Scott or Johnathan Christopher,he claims to be a manager out in California, i think San Diego, not quite sure, he also said he use to be a casting producer at Baby  Phat, maybe some Cali people could help me out, is he legitimate? He said he wants to be my manager but i don't know much about the guy, he called me at seven in the morning claiming to be testing my loyalty to him if he was my manager, is that a red flag? Someone help me out, i am confused!

lol

"testing your loyalty...."   that's a new one!

Jun 05 09 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Don Reynolds  wrote:
and you don't need a manager, ever

And You know this why?
I guess the agency models you require do NOT need their Agencies ?

Agencies act as managers / agents .

Here is one for example www.mgmtfirst.com , I was his Director of Photography for 2.5 yrs. I saw him MAKE supermodels and he IS a Manager .
Making sure someone is legit and checking out references is common knowledge and common sense , especial when it involves a career .

Jun 05 09 01:17 pm Link

Model

Hella Noella

Santa Cruz, California, US

a good rule of thumb is if you have to ask, something probably isn't right. always trust your gut.

sounds way creepy.

Jun 05 09 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Post hidden on Jun 05, 2009 06:07 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
No thanks, Try off topic.

Jun 05 09 01:20 pm Link

Retoucher

StaciC

Swansea, Illinois, US

Post hidden on Jun 05, 2009 06:07 pm
Reason: not helpful
Comments:
No thanks, quoted image.  Try off topic

Jun 05 09 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Los Angeles, California, US

Well, he has a profile on this site.  And he's tagging random girls with the same story about being a talent manager for Baby Phat and looking for girls to shoot.....

Ooops, just checked his profile and all I got was the "user have removed profile...." message.

Jun 05 09 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

P-Studios

Vallejo, California, US

call baby phat

Jun 05 09 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Yasonia wrote:
he called me at seven in the morning claiming to be testing my loyalty to him if he was my manager, is that a red flag? Someone help me out, i am confused!

If anyone calls me at 7am, and I actually answer at that hour, it best damn well be the manager of the powerball lottery telling me I won $64 million.

If it isn't, they are not going to like what I have to say to them.

Jun 05 09 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

lol

Jun 05 09 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Cherrystone wrote:

If anyone calls me at 7am, and I actually answer at that hour, it best damn well be the manager of the powerball lottery telling me I won $64 million.

If it isn't, they are not going to like what I have to say to them.

Are you sure about that?

Jun 05 09 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Until you are making a few hundred thousand dollars a year and are booked so much your head is spinning, you shouldn't even consider a manager.

Legitimate managers are not interested in beginners. They work with the top of the line talent and handle business affairs and contracts.

Your situation sounds more like a pimp looking for new meat.

Beware . . . !

KM

Jun 05 09 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Sockpuppet Studios  wrote:

Are you sure about that?

If you are knocking on my door in your bare buns, I might make an exception.

Providing your cell phone is charged:D

Jun 05 09 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Number one clue he is a fraud:

He initially e-mailed you from out of the blue.

More than likely he e-mailed you to your e-mail address or myspace.

Number two clue he is a fraud:

He called you at all.

Real managers have lots of clients that come to them. They call you when they have a specific job assignment that you might fit. They do not call to see if you are going to work for them.

note:

Beware of a photographer contacting you asking you if he can be your manager/agent. Athough this is not allowed on MM a very few number of them do it anyway.

Beware of casting calls too. Read them Read what the models responding are saying in their responses.

If you find that a model is responding to a casting call saying "Oh, I am so excited. I always wanted to have a manager." Then it is obvious that the posting is a fraud and the photographer is head hunting girls to manage. Report him to MM.

The majority of photographers here are legit

The majority of casting calls are legit

Unfortunately there are a few scum hiding in the background lurking for someone like you.

Jun 05 09 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Terry M Day Jr

Gwinner, North Dakota, US

Yasonia wrote:
he called me at seven in the morning claiming to be testing my loyalty to him if he was my manager, is that a red flag? Someone help me out, i am confused!

LOL...  Wow, that's deranged.

Jun 05 09 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Yasonia wrote:
Someone help me out, i am confused!

Yes, you are.

Jun 05 09 06:08 pm Link

Model

ImNoOne

Abbeville, Alabama, US

A lot of people will say managers suck and you don't need one. IMO, if you find a GOOD manager-not someone off MM, not your bf, etc. They can really help your career. I started out with a manger who booked me many great jobs and I was very happy with them. However not all managers are like that and...I would NEVER work with someone who calls me at 7am to check my loyalty.

No one better be calling me before 9 am unless its for a rush call (booking for that day where I'd have to be there in a few hours). To check my loyalty? Helllllllll no. I don't need that.

Jun 06 09 09:27 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Yasonia wrote:

sounds fishy, if it qacks like a dck it just might be.......

Jun 06 09 09:56 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

He's CA, you're in NJ.  Why does he even have your phone # at all?

Block his number. Now.

Jun 06 09 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Yasonia wrote:

If he is on Model Mayhem, managers are not allowed.  CAM him. 

Seriously, "testing" your loyalty?  Geezzzz!   Let me ask you something.  Why do you think you might want a manager?   Unless you are making enough money where you have little time to handle your own business, you don't need one.  If you are not making a lot of money, and are wanting to advance to a higher level, then try to get signed by a legit talent agency. 

If this so called "manager" is telling you that he is booking jobs for models, then he would be operating as a talent agent.  If he is doing that without a licence, he is illegal and I would report his ass to the California State labor board.

Jun 06 09 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Mayanlee wrote:
He's CA, you're in NJ.  Why does he even have your phone # at all?

Block his number. Now.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!   yikes

This guy is really a nutcase!

This means that "IF" he is indeed calling from California, he is doing so at 5 AM in the morning here.  I AM NEVER AWAKE at that time for ANYTHING!  Calling me at that time is a waste of time because I turn my phone off.   That is what you should do ... turn your ringer off as so that nutcases like that can't wake you.

Jun 06 09 10:05 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!   yikes

This guy is really a nutcase!

This means that "IF" he is indeed calling from California, he is doing so at 5 AM in the morning here.

Nope. 4 AM.

At the kind end of the spectrum, the word "unbalanced" comes to mind. At the opposite, it screams "predator."

Jun 06 09 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Gulf Coast Glamour

Bradenton, Florida, US

As stated above, until you are too busy to book your own assignments yourself, you don't need a manager.  There's nothing they can do you cannot do for yourself and starting out you don't need to be paying them a part of your earnings.  This 7am phone guy, as with anyone you're in contact with for work, check references, get phone #s, always let someone know who you're working with and where.  Call a friend, family, someone when you arrive at a assignment, and again when you're done.  Let the photographer or who ever you're working with see you make that call.

Jun 06 09 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Mayanlee wrote:

Nope. 4 AM.

At the kind end of the spectrum, the word "unbalanced" comes to mind. At the opposite, it screams "predator."

Opps!  You are right, my mistake.  That is even worse!  I can't think of very many reasonable explanations as to why anyone would be "up" at 4 AM in the morning.  Unless someone either parties all night to go to bed at sunrise, or has a night job, or severe insomnia, or gets up that early to go to work or go fishing ... I mean really it's not normal for anyone to be up at 4 AM in the morning unless they've got good (or bad!) reason not to be asleep!   

Going back to the original post, the fact is it doesn't matter if the dude is in California or not ... he is definitely someone to stay away from!

Jun 06 09 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Gulf Coast Glamour wrote:
As stated above, until you are too busy to book your own assignments yourself, you don't need a manager.  There's nothing they can do you cannot do for yourself and starting out you don't need to be paying them a part of your earnings.  This 7am phone guy, as with anyone you're in contact with for work, check references, get phone #s, always let someone know who you're working with and where.  Call a friend, family, someone when you arrive at a assignment, and again when you're done.  Let the photographer or who ever you're working with see you make that call.

QFT!

Jun 06 09 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Mayanlee wrote:

Nope. 4 AM.

That's assuming he's even in Cali at all. No doubt the guy is right around the corner somewhere, then one day he'll show up at her doorstep "fresh off the plane", saying he's ready to do wonders for her career.

Jun 06 09 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop!

Jun 06 09 12:48 pm Link