Forums > General Industry > "Cover up! Cover up!"

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

That was me, yelling to the model last Sunday.  The model laughed and declined to cover up, despite that we were outdoors and there was a car driving by.  She was showing enough of her goodies that we could have been arrested if it had been a cop.  She said, with a smile, "I've been doing this for 8 years, and nobody stops, nobody cares."

I'm not so sure about that.  Anyway, it's maybe a little ironic that I was more concerned about her unclothed state than she was.  But I'll never be completely comfortable shooting a model who is fully or partially nude while random people are passing by.

How about you?

Jun 05 09 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Models that I shoot don't even get naked in the shower.

Jun 05 09 09:16 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Image K wrote:
Models that I shoot don't even get naked in the shower.

Seriously?

Jun 05 09 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Lea Halliwell wrote:

Seriously?

Ken can't be serious.  He has a topless shot in his port.  That would be enough to get him and the model arrested if it was outdoors and a cop walked by.  smile

Jun 05 09 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lea Halliwell wrote:

Seriously?

(Shh. I'm just messing with William)

Jun 05 09 09:22 pm Link

Model

Kelly leProbleme

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I had a photographer once tell me that after driving to a location, the model instantly jumped out of the car naked and started walking down the street to go check out the spot. In the middle of the city, broad daylight, didn't wait to see if there was anyone around. He made sure to tell me this before we went anywhere so I wouldn't go trying the same thing. I think he tells everyone.

Jun 05 09 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Kevyn Sage wrote:
I had a photographer once tell me that after driving to a location, the model instantly jumped out of the car naked and started walking down the street to go check out the spot. In the middle of the city, broad daylight, didn't wait to see if there was anyone around. He made sure to tell me this before we went anywhere so I wouldn't go trying the same thing. I think he tells everyone.

That would scare the bejeezus out of me.  I'd probably jump out of the car after her with an overcoat or something and wrap it around her.

Jun 05 09 09:27 pm Link

Model

KariMarie

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

The speediness with which I reach for clothing depends on a number of factors.  When working in the bible belt, you can bet I'm a lot faster to dive into my clothes than when working outside of Seattle.  If we're way the heck out on a trail, I also tend to be more relaxed about it than when working in more urban areas.  The proximity of the other person also has some weight.  The further away they are, the less likely I am to care.  I also give consideration to just who it is that might see- a construction worker is less likely to warrant me covering up than a mother and her toddler.

In general though, I try not to flash too much at too many people in any given day.

Jun 05 09 09:28 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Vivus Hussein Denuo wrote:

Ken can't be serious.  He has a topless shot in his port.  That would be enough to get him and the model arrested if it was outdoors and a cop walked by.  smile

Not in NY.

Jun 05 09 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

A few years ago, I was on location with a model.  She had on a dress at the time (and only the dress), was sitting on an old oak tree log, when a pickup w/2 guys drove by.  She 'flashed' them, got such a rush out of it, when the shoot was over, she called her hubby, and told him the news.   I'm sure they got it on that night!

Jun 05 09 09:33 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Image K wrote:

(Shh. I'm just messing with William)

lol Ok.

Jun 05 09 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Kita St Cyr wrote:

Not in NY.

Theoretically.  Not all cops know the law.  And they can always get you disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, etc.  The case may be thrown out later, but who wants to get arrested instead of doing a shoot?  tongue

Jun 05 09 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

I just tell them that the fine for indecent exposure can be over $500. They cover up pretty quickly after that.

Jun 05 09 09:36 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Dudley Watson wrote:
A few years ago, I was on location with a model.  She had on a dress at the time (and only the dress), was sitting on an old oak tree log, when a pickup w/2 guys drove by.  She 'flashed' them, got such a rush out of it, when the shoot was over, she called her hubby, and told him the news.   I'm sure they got it on that night!

lol lol lol

Jun 05 09 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Dudley Watson wrote:

I just made up a new rule for my photoshoots:  No flashing during the shoot!

Edit:  OK, the model can flash me.  But only me.  wink

Jun 05 09 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

I just made up a new rule for my photoshoots:  No flashing during the shoot!

Edit:  OK, the model can flash me.  But only me.  wink

Great rule (if they will obey).  I had seen her nude a few minutes before, but never expected her brassy attitude to overcome her inhibitions.

Jun 05 09 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I've had King County's finest watch a nude shoot on public land, enjoy the show, and thank me for keeping it reasonably secluded.

I've had Seattle city police watch a topless shoot on Western Ave. in Pioneer Square. Nobody complained, so no law was broken.

In Washington State things are a lot more laid back. And almost all cops know the law and respect photographers and models who don't create a scene.

Jun 05 09 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Gulf Coast Glamour

Bradenton, Florida, US

Having the model work so relaxed is nice.  HOWEVER, the model situation I experienced was simular.  She was nude, when we saw people approaching she was reluctant to cover up saying, "if they don't like what they see, they don't have to look".  Only problem with such an attitude is if the shoot is witnessed by people with young children.  They complain, there's a problem.  Best advice is cover up when need be.

Jun 05 09 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Barbie Austin

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

we just did a vigilante shoot ( check my avtar) few cars drove by...1 twice lol no one cared...

Jun 05 09 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Gulf Coast Glamour wrote:
Having the model work so relaxed is nice.  HOWEVER, the model situation I experienced was simular.  She was nude, when we saw people approaching she was reluctant to cover up saying, "if they don't like what they see, they don't have to look".  Only problem with such an attitude is if the shoot is witnessed by people with young children.  They complain, there's a problem.  Best advice is cover up when need be.

I agree.  The model I was shooting with was probably 99% right.  Few people would cause a problem.  But there's that one percent.  Remember Gladys Kravitz, the nosy neighbor on Bewitched?  She'd call the cops!  smile

Jun 05 09 10:12 pm Link

Model

angela fender

Castle Rock, Washington, US

i would love to have that girls mind set. i really do. to be that comfortable with your body would be so amazing i give her props.

this world needs to be open to nudity and we all would grew up thinking it was normal, and we wouldn't have controversy over it.  why is it a taboo?

i think it shouldn't be a law .but a choice to be naked or not.

this is my opinion.

Jun 05 09 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

That was me, yelling to the model last Sunday.  The model laughed and declined to cover up, despite that we were outdoors and there was a car driving by.  She was showing enough of her goodies that we could have been arrested if it had been a cop.  She said, with a smile, "I've been doing this for 8 years, and nobody stops, nobody cares."

I'm not so sure about that.  Anyway, it's maybe a little ironic that I was more concerned about her unclothed state than she was.  But I'll never be completely comfortable shooting a model who is fully or partially nude while random people are passing by.

How about you?

I was under the impression that it was legal for females to be topless in NY, since the whole female construction worker lawsuit-fiasco

Jun 05 09 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

angela fender wrote:
i would love to have that girls mind set. i really do. to be that comfortable with your body would be so amazing i give her props.

this world needs to be open to nudity and we all would grew up thinking it was normal, and we wouldn't have controversy over it.  why is it a taboo?

i think it shouldn't be a law .but a choice to be naked or not.

this is my opinion.

The model really has been modeling for 8 years, and she says she is most comfortable modeling nude.  So, maybe one day you'll have that "Let 'em look" attitude, too.  smile

Jun 05 09 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Paradigm Shift wrote:

I was under the impression that it was legal for females to be topless in NY, since the whole female construction worker lawsuit-fiasco

It is.  But who said my model was topless?  smile

Jun 05 09 10:30 pm Link

Model

Eden Boehler

Round Rock, Texas, US

Sophistocles wrote:
I've had King County's finest watch a nude shoot on public land, enjoy the show, and thank me for keeping it reasonably secluded.

I've had Seattle city police watch a topless shoot on Western Ave. in Pioneer Square. Nobody complained, so no law was broken.

In Washington State things are a lot more laid back. And almost all cops know the law and respect photographers and models who don't create a scene.

yup, I'm loving my time here in Washington! Maybe I'll have some new photos up soon

Jun 05 09 10:36 pm Link

Model

angela fender

Castle Rock, Washington, US

The model really has been modeling for 8 years, and she says she is most comfortable modeling nude.  So, maybe one day you'll have that "Let 'em look" attitude, too.  smile

you know i have never thought about it like that, it might just take time. well thank you for opening my mind frame a little.

Jun 05 09 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

John Rayner

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

In my limited experience, Law enforcement types can and do appreciate a fine figure as much as the next guy. If someone complains, or might witness then they are forced to act as part of their job.

So... shooting sex in the schoolyard will get busted 9.9 out of 10 times. Shooting artistic nudes in privacy and seclusion will get you a round of applause from half the force (they don't mind calling for backup, just to watch the show) after the shoot.

Jun 05 09 10:59 pm Link

Model

The Main Man

Sacramento, California, US

Kita St Cyr wrote:

Not in NY.

Especially if you walkin by my Cousin out there. He might actually want a picture with ya wink

Jun 05 09 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

angela fender wrote:
> i think it shouldn't be a law .but a choice to be naked or not.

this is my opinion.

[begin hijack] Perhaps some cities should have a 'topless only' zone for around 10 years, to acclimate the populace, then let it become city wide?
[/end hijack]

Jun 05 09 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

ron w photo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Sophistocles wrote:

I apparently need to move to Washington State!

Jun 06 09 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

John Rayner wrote:
In my limited experience, Law enforcement types can and do appreciate a fine figure as much as the next guy. If someone complains, or might witness then they are forced to act as part of their job.

So... shooting sex in the schoolyard will get busted 9.9 out of 10 times. Shooting artistic nudes in privacy and seclusion will get you a round of applause from half the force (they don't mind calling for backup, just to watch the show) after the shoot.

This is interesting.

I have no experience shooting nudes outside in secluded areas or not.  So, it would not be proper for me to comment.  Do you actually know from actual experience albeit "limited" that shooting artistic nudes in seclusion will be warmly received by law enforcement or are you just speculating?  I ask because I don't see a single nude in your portfolio (here or on your website).

Jun 06 09 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Crystallinephoto

Hudson, Wisconsin, US

Got busted yesterday at a county park. $20 dollar fine but could have been a LOT more expensive. The ranger was a photographer himself. The great thing is he gave me several of his secret locations. The bad news is I can not use that gorgeous location anymore.

This shot was taken literally 4 minutes before we got busted.
18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … up_id=&ua=

Jun 06 09 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Paradigm Shift wrote:

Topless is legal in New York, bottomless (to my understanding) is not nor is "public lewdness", whatever that may mean.

Even so, as has been stated before, there are innumerable other charges that can be pulled out of a hat should the officer so choose, so it's always better to err on the side of caution.

Jun 06 09 04:46 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

The closest I've ever come was in the very large field/backyard of the photographer I was shooting with. We'd been pretty far back all day, but then we'd moved up just behind a fence that is several yards behind his house. I'm all sprawled out in the grass and suddenly a car starts to pull in, and to the back because that's where his front door is... he tells me to grab something, I grabbed the very long pink skirt I'd just shed minutes before and I'm sitting there in the grass with it held over my front, my hair is long enough to cover the back half. This lady gets out... turns out it was another photographer returning a piece of equipment she'd borrowed from him.

I also had to litterally crawl around on the ground even after that because there is a road in front of the house and he definitely didn't want his neighbors to see. I totally understood. Some of them have small kids and he doesn't make his money with the nude stuff, from what I understand it's mostly kids and stuff.

I still had a blast. I really need to do more location stuff.

Jun 06 09 05:00 am Link

Photographer

John Rayner

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Digitoxin wrote:
This is interesting.

I have no experience shooting nudes outside in secluded areas or not.  So, it would not be proper for me to comment.  Do you actually know from actual experience albeit "limited" that shooting artistic nudes in seclusion will be warmly received by law enforcement or are you just speculating?  I ask because I don't see a single nude in your portfolio (here or on your website).

I am just a newb when it comes to "model" photography. The nudes I have are not worth sharing here. Not because of the model, but for my limited skills at the time they where taken. I live in a pretty rural area, and finding a model willing to pose is not easy much less one willing to pose and sign a release is even tougher.

I have known several law enforcement types and they are no different then us. If you can ever talk to them off duty, or off the record, I would imagine they would be able to give you a few great shoot locations where you can practice your art without trouble.

Thank you for looking at my shots here and on my site.

CC Images wrote:
This shot was taken literally 4 minutes before we got busted.
18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … up_id=&ua=

Awesome shot! You got my vote POTD+18 today for this one. Excellent.

Jun 06 09 08:46 am Link

Model

Ossuary

San Francisco, California, US

Kita St Cyr wrote:

Not in NY.

Yeah...it is legal in NY. But depending on where in NY you are, the police may not know that. I've been stopped in my town...had to tell them about the law, they called back to the station and looked it up. They had no choice but to let me go.

Jun 06 09 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Topless is legal in New York, bottomless (to my understanding) is not nor is "public lewdness", whatever that may mean.

Even so, as has been stated before, there are innumerable other charges that can be pulled out of a hat should the officer so choose, so it's always better to err on the side of caution.

Yep.

Jun 06 09 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Kita St Cyr wrote:

Not in NY.

There is a model who got a ticket in Brooklyn.
She is using a photo of it as her avatar!    smile

Jun 06 09 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This photo was taken in a secluded area of a busy state park last year.

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid … up_id=&ua=

Jun 06 09 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

I had to Photochop about 20 people out of the background:
Not 18+, but NSFW either.

I don't mind an entourage. wink

Jun 06 09 04:17 pm Link