Forums > General Industry > image printing issues......

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

I apologize if there is a thread on this already, I am truly pressed for time and don't have the time to look! With that said, I am in need of printing out some images ASAP for my portfoilo for a go see that I have to go to today. The problem is I have tried to use the Sam's Club and Costco one hour features on their websites, everytime I upload a image even if I pick a 4x6 size it is stating that the picture must be cropped. I need help both understanding this as well as possible suggestions where I can go in Chicago at such a late notice and have 9 images printed out. The images are all hi rez and are like 3-5 mb? Please if anyone can give me some advice that would be great!

Thanks!

Jun 06 09 05:48 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

what are the dimensions of your book?

Jun 06 09 05:49 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Leticia wrote:
I apologize if there is a thread on this already, I am truly pressed for time and don't have the time to look! With that said, I am in need of printing out some images ASAP for my portfoilo for a go see that I have to go to today. The problem is I have tried to use the Sam's Club and Costco one hour features on their websites, everytime I upload a image even if I pick a 4x6 size it is stating that the picture must be cropped. I need help both understanding this as well as possible suggestions where I can go in Chicago at such a late notice and have 9 images printed out. The images are all hi rez and are like 3-5 mb? Please if anyone can give me some advice that would be great!

Thanks!

All that means is that the image does not match the same ratio as the size you selected. Just go to the next screen and it will show you what will be cropped out and you can adjust it. You should not be using 4x6 unless they specifically asked for it. You should be using 9x12.

You can place 2 9x12 side by side in an image editor and select 12x18 at Costco or you can just select 11x14 and pay a little more per picture.

Jun 06 09 05:50 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Well I wanted to upgrade to 11x14.

Also I know 4x6 is completely unacceptable, I was just seeing if I went that low would it still say it had to be cropped.

Jun 06 09 05:55 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Leticia wrote:
I wanted to upgrade to 11x14.

Also I know 4x6 is completely unacceptable, I was just seeing if I went that low would it still say it had to be cropped.

the image you have are probably a 2x3 ratio (4x6) so that means if you enlarged them to print 11x14, they would be 11x16.5 and you would have to crop 2.5 inches on the long side.

i have an 11x14 book, i have to do this all the time.

Jun 06 09 06:06 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:

the image you have are probably a 2x3 ratio (4x6) so that means if you enlarged them to print 11x14, they would be 11x16.5 and you would have to crop 2.5 inches on the long side.

i have an 11x14 book, i have to do this all the time.

Thanks for the info! I will try that right now!

Jun 06 09 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Leticia wrote:
Well I wanted to upgrade to 11x14.

Why?  A model's book is expected to be 9x12.  11x14 is so 1970s . . . .

Jun 06 09 09:43 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Why?  A model's book is expected to be 9x12.  11x14 is so 1970s . . . .

I would not have known that, wasn't around for the 70's. I was going off of advice that if I printed in 11x14 it would crop down to 9x12 not sure how but this is my first time actually printing out images myself. Either way it goes I have been helped so, thanks anyhow.

Jun 06 09 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

If you where living here in New York I would just invite you to come over and do it for you at very,very low cost.
Hopefully some one from the windy city could offer you the same.

Jun 06 09 09:18 pm Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fun City Photo wrote:
If you where living here in New York I would just invite you to come over and do it for you at very,very low cost.
Hopefully some one from the windy city could offer you the same.

That's very cool of you to say!   It would be nice if I could find a photographer here that I could pay to help me out. Not knowing proper dimentions and measurements makes it very difficult to print out the photos sad

Jun 07 09 05:54 am Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Leticia wrote:
I was going off of advice that if I printed in 11x14 it would crop down to 9x12....

That was extremely poor advice.

If it was free advice, it was certainly not worth the price.

Jun 07 09 06:25 am Link

Model

L O N D O N Brown

Chicago, Illinois, US

RSM-images wrote:

That was extremely poor advice.

If it was free advice, it was certainly not worth the price.

It was free advice and from what I have encountered as well as read in this discussion it was extremely bad advice. I believe this is the solid reason I have been unsuccessful in printing out my images! Im on the verge of posting a casting just for the sake of having my images printed out.

Jun 07 09 08:38 am Link