Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

anyone using this?

www.gimp.org

https://www.gimp.org/screenshots/macosx_screenshot1.png

and yes, I have CS2. Just curious if people here have something to say about it, good, bad or indifferent. im not about to pummel this nice new mac with crap.

Best,
Stu
www.stuartphotography.com

Jul 11 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jibaili

a friend of mine swears by it.. personally i like CS2 but thats just me.. give it a whirl..

Jul 11 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Don't have it now but I have used it.  Liked it alot.  I have CS2 also and for the 'level' of stuff that I do I could have easily stayed with The Gimp.

Only thing is I'm shooting with a Canon 350D and the RAW format it uses isn't supported but Gimp I believe.

Chris

Jul 11 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Photoshop and Gimp were neck and neck for a while... because Adobe engineers loyal to the open source movement were writing open source code and putting it into Photoshop. A stop was put to that, whether fortunately or unfortunately, and Gimp now lags about two years behind in key features.

It has always lacked some of the refinement of Photoshop, the ease of use once you know the hotkeys just isn't there.

Also, far less support for Gimp tricks and techniques out there.

Just my opinion though, last tried it about a year ago.

Jul 11 05 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Last time I checked, GIMP has neither colour management nor 16 bits-per-channel colour support - serious limitations for some, irrelevant for others.

Jul 12 05 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Geez, I thought this was going to be a nice thread about shooting differently abled models!

Jul 12 05 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Actually I think Gimp has getting better and better every release. I work with psp on a windows based system (yeah - used the windows gimp version too).
The only thing I don't like are the gazillion different windows to pop up when using several tools. I'm confused pretty fast - so I headed back to my PSP.
Maybe it's all about on which one you started with...

Jul 12 05 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

cool...thanks for responding. I guess Ill give it a whirl, as I'm even more curious now. I own several copies of PS, but always like to look at other options, or things I can recommend to others who cant just buy photoshop on a whim.

Jul 12 05 06:36 am Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Damn, I was hopnig to see the Pulp fiction Gimps

Jul 12 05 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Eric Messick

Middletown, California, US

I use the Gimp all the time.  I try to stay as far away from Windows as possible, so I like open source solutions.

There is a 16bit version called cinepaint, which works for simple image manipulations, but lags behind gimp itself.

Right now I'm trying to debug color management stuff under Linux.  I can view images through a monitor profile using a very different style of image editing program called nip2.  I've generated monitor and printer profiles using another open source program called Argyll.  I'm printing using photoprint, which handles profiles through a library called lcms, before handing the data off to the printer driver, gutenprint.

I don't mind paying money for good software, but I won't give money to Bill Gates for Windows.  I'm glad there are alternatives.

-eric

Jul 12 05 10:55 am Link

Model

Model Mayhem

El Segundo, California, US

I tried it out and really wanted to start using it because I'm a huge fan of open source.  But, I couldnt get used to the interface.  I hate having 40 different windows open and 40 different tabs in the Taskbar.  Give me one window and one taskbar tab that holds everything and a few toolbar boxes and I'd be happy tongue

Jul 12 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Gimp is just for all the Unix geeks on Slashdot.

Jul 12 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I know it is an image editing program, but every time I hear the name Gimp I think of the baker from "Flowers For Algernon," Gimpy.

Good book.

Jul 12 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Messick

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Guilty as charged.

Jul 12 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

this is the first time i have ever heard of Gimp... looks powerful enough, but the amount of windows open is a huge turnoff.  photoshop pretty much remains industry standard in my opinion.  when saving a gimp file with layers intact... what extension is created?

Jul 12 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

If you don't care about color management, it might do.

One open source imaging toolset I use a lot are the "netpbm" tools. They're a bunch of command-line programs that do format conversion, crop, rotate, whatever, in a pipeline so you can script them. I'm still enough of a UNIX geek that when I want to do something to 4,000 files I don't write a photoshop action, I write a shell script on my server and let it run. I have an automated job on my server that makes thumnail databases every night of all the JPGs on my RAID array; photoshop's file browser is a lot faster at making thumbnails when the files are already thumbnail-sized. smile

mjr.

Jul 12 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Eric Messick: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Guilty as charged.

I for one welcome our Unix geek overloards.

I just realized I should have ended my post with:

*ducks*

Jul 12 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Messick

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 
this is the first time i have ever heard of Gimp... looks powerful enough, but the amount of windows open is a huge turnoff.  photoshop pretty much remains industry standard in my opinion.  when saving a gimp file with layers intact... what extension is created?

Gimp can read and write .psd files, but it has it's own format as well for saving layers and all of the internal data.

Gimp reads and writes just about any image format you can think of.

The window count doesn't bother me (I'm on Linux, and my window manager doesn't stick buttons at the bottom of the screen for each window).  User interface design for applications like this is really hard, and I have yet to see one I like.  I haven't played much with Photoshop, but I don't think it's much better.  I prefer an interface without "modes", but that clashes with wanting to do lots of different kinds of things.  Oh, well...

-eric

Jul 12 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Eric Messick: 

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 

Gimp can read and write .psd files, but it has it's own format as well for saving layers and all of the internal data.

Gimp reads and writes just about any image format you can think of.

The window count doesn't bother me (I'm on Linux, and my window manager doesn't stick buttons at the bottom of the screen for each window).  User interface design for applications like this is really hard, and I have yet to see one I like.  I haven't played much with Photoshop, but I don't think it's much better.  I prefer an interface without "modes", but that clashes with wanting to do lots of different kinds of things.  Oh, well...

-eric

PS basically uses the interface that was developed for MacPaint in 1984. That program invented the crawling ants to indicate a selection for example. After 20 years of evolution, it's going to be hard to find a better one.

https://www.mac512.com/Mp1.gif

Jul 12 05 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

glad to see this thread still alive. I too am a Unix bred geek, and am big on open source tools (more for infosec than graphics)...and again, heavy on the PS....

this is apples and oranges when talking about COST.

Jul 12 05 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Zed's dead, Baby. Zed's dead.

Jul 12 05 05:07 pm Link