Forums > General Industry > Question for Mac Computer gurus...

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a Power Mac 7600/120. Haven't used it for years. Is it worth anything? Is there anything useful in its poor little innards to salvage? Or should I pull and destroy the hard drive (privacy considerations) and give everything to an approved electronics recycler?

...sure was a nice machine when I was using it...

Jun 06 09 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

glamour pics wrote:
I have a Power Mac 7600/120. Haven't used it for years. Is it worth anything? Is there anything useful in its poor little innards to salvage? Or should I pull and destroy the hard drive (privacy considerations) and give everything to an approved electronics recycler?

...sure was a nice machine when I was using it...

Surely you kid. You'll be lucky someone will take that from you without charging you a recycle fee.

Jun 06 09 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

glamour pics wrote:
I have a Power Mac 7600/120. Haven't used it for years. Is it worth anything?

Check with the local schools for the blind and/or visually impaired. Many of them use old Macs as the basis for assisted reading systems.

Jun 06 09 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent Fashion

Beaumont, California, US

Keep it for another 20 and you can donate it to a museum...

Jun 06 09 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

I have had several old(er) macs: cleaned the drive, reinstalled the OS, loaded solitaire and roulette and various games on them. also loaded a typing-tutor program. then donated them to senior centers.

works!

Jun 06 09 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

JohnLester

Reading, England, United Kingdom

sadly, it is worth very little. Check eBay as they're forever selling things like that. I've got a B&W G3 350MHz box that I _MIGHT_ be able to get £50 (about US$75 currently) for.

That said, my Mum knows of some charity or other which gratefully accepts any computers. We've palmed off older Macs than yours on them and they've been stoked!

Do a Google search for wanted old computers in your area, see what turns up.

Otherwise, I'm afraid it's either curtains for it, or like someone said, put it in a box in the loft (attic) to be found in years to come when you can remember what that box was like!

J

P.S. I have my current two Macs in useage but have not thrown away my first iPhone, my gen2 iPod, my 1.4GHz Mirror-Door G4 PowerMac, my B&W G3 PowerMac, my Performa 5320, my Atari ST 1040fm....

Jun 06 09 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

It's overpowered for a home automation server, if you want that. (I used a Mac II for that until I moved here 2 years ago, simply because I already had it.)

But it's not going to be very useful with any current software.

Jun 06 09 08:03 pm Link