This thread was locked on 2009-06-07 12:10:28
Forums > General Industry > Is This A Scam? (Please Don't Kill Me!!!)

Model

The Li Model

Houston, Texas, US

I received this message in my Hot Import Nights account, and it sounded WAY to good to be true (and had a few typos), so I was like... Scam, obviously. But he listed a moderately legit website, and doesn't seem to be Nigerian-Scamming me, so I'm confused. Any advice?
"Hello i am agent Michael,We have a 2000dollars pay modeling job (Assignment) for you to take picture with some of our client Fashion Outfit, Our client wants to there Catalog with there new year release Fashion outfits and We are interested in you for the shooting, We are model and photographer agent (SAG) approved talent agency providing quality union and non-union models representation in all fields of Commercials, by profession with about 10 years experience.
JOB LOCATION
The shooting will hold at a rented photographer's studio in model location, so you don't have to worry about traveling, the name and address of the studio will be forwarded to you before the date of the shooting, all make up will be taken cared of in the studio. You can come along with any body of your choice on the day of the shooting just for you to feel more comfortable.But not more than four people invite by the model that we will take care of.
JOB DETAILS:
You have a lot of different Fashion outfits to cover, which would be provided by our client on the day of the shooting.
TIME DURATION
This will take up to Two days>The total money pay for the jobs is 2000dollars and you get 600dollars as your advance payment and balance of 1400dollars will be paid after the complication of the project.
EXPECTATIONS
Please get in touch with us if you will take the job and we can go from there, just let me know if you will take the job and I will give you extra details. Make sure you get back at me ASAP.And if interested will have to give us your details to contact you with your payment via check and for further info.
Check our web site @ WWW.Whipappealinc.com Get back to me directly through my private E-mail @ [email protected]
INFO NEEDED
1.Your full name:
2.Physical address,
3.City,State
4.Zip Code
5.Home contact telephone number and Cellphone number
6.Your age,s
7.Previous working Experience,
REGARD
michael Modeling."

Jun 07 09 11:17 am Link

Photographer

JDAlexander

Dallas, Texas, US

*facepalm

You've got to have more common sense than this if you're going to survive. Of course it's a scam.

Jun 07 09 11:20 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok people.
Read this and tell me this model is going to understand the Smashbox contest rules.

John

Jun 07 09 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

At 90 posts you are saying you haven't seen or looked for those kind of posts?

Jun 07 09 11:22 am Link

Model

The Li Model

Houston, Texas, US

Okay, I think I got it now smile
I guess common sense is overshadowed by my desire for impossibly lucrative modeling gigs... and I like the look of the website and figured I'd have nothing to lose my responding...
Possibly not, I guess!

Jun 07 09 11:25 am Link

Photographer

FOTOgraphicART - Heinz

Hopkins, Minnesota, US

The spelling alone should tell you that this is a scam.

Jun 07 09 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Photography by J

Oxford, Ohio, US

Unlike others, I'll abide by your dictum, "Don't kill me." smile

Here's Simple Scam Test #37: anything that lists the job as being "in your location" without mentioning that location, is a scam.

Jun 07 09 11:26 am Link

Photographer

JDAlexander

Dallas, Texas, US

Photography by J wrote:
Unlike others, I'll abide by your dictum, "Don't kill me." smile

Here's Simple Scam Test #37: anything that lists the job as being "in your location" without mentioning that location, is a scam.

I don't think anyone was killing her... just pointing out that it's not that complex.

Jun 07 09 11:34 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

John Allan wrote:
Ok people.
Read this and tell me this model is going to understand the Smashbox contest rules.

John

+1

Jun 07 09 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Advance Payment=SCAM!!!!

Jun 07 09 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

The Li Model wrote:
I guess common sense is overshadowed by my desire for impossibly lucrative modeling gigs...

That is exactly what the scammer was counting on when he contacted you.

Jun 07 09 11:47 am Link

Photographer

IsaacMitchellEvolution

Lithonia, Georgia, US

People are mean aren't they. I wouldn't take this person up on their offer. However, if you are curious just email and ask for more info and a contact number to talk to someone. If you can't get that, leave it be.

Jun 07 09 11:50 am Link

Photographer

JDAlexander

Dallas, Texas, US

Isaac Mitchell wrote:
People are mean aren't they. I wouldn't take this person up on their offer. However, if you are curious just email and ask for more info and a contact number to talk to someone. If you can't get that, leave it be.

Nope, total waste of time...

Jun 07 09 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Isaac Mitchell wrote:

Drop it.  If you get their contact number, they will have your phone number when you call them.

Jun 07 09 11:59 am Link

Photographer

IsaacMitchellEvolution

Lithonia, Georgia, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Drop it.  If you get their contact number, they will have your phone number when you call them.

Valid point

Jun 07 09 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

IsaacMitchellEvolution

Lithonia, Georgia, US

And I need to learn how to do the qoute thing

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

The Li Model wrote:
...(and had a few typos)...

A FEW typos???

Photographer

JDAlexander

Dallas, Texas, US

Isaac Mitchell wrote:
And I need to learn how to do the qoute thing

Click quote, start typing under the words that automatically appear.

Jun 07 09 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

RR223

TURNERS STATION, Kentucky, US

Here's how it will go...

They'll send you a (fake) check for more than the amount promised.  They'll tell you to keep your part and send the rest to a stylist or photographer.  Of course, you'll have to send this through Western Union or MoneyGram so it can't be traced.  A few days after you send YOUR money to Nigeria, you'll get a phone call from your bank informing you that the check is worthless.

Jun 07 09 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

RR223

TURNERS STATION, Kentucky, US

The Li Model wrote:
... and I like the look of the website

These scammers link legitimate websites in their messages to make their message look legitimate.  Just because they provided a link to a real website doesn't necessarily mean that the message was sent by that company.

If the message had actually been sent from someone at whipappealinc.com, the message would have probably been sent from an @whipappealinc.com email address, not a free Yahoo address.

Jun 07 09 12:09 pm Link