Forums > General Industry > The problem with outdoor shoots...

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

I had a great shoot this weekend.  We took some photos on a horse and then sitting on a pile of hay.  Then I did some barefoot walking in the weeds.  I have severe allergies to many things...one of which is hay.  After laying in the hay, I got really itchy bumps all over my back and on my legs.  I've been drowning myself in benadryl cream to relieve some of the itching.  I've got shoots coming up this weekend and I'm hoping that the bumps will be gone by then.  I've already cancelled two shoots because of it.  Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take to go away?  I've never had this kind of reaction before (then again, I've never lain in a pile of hay before, either).

Jul 12 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Shelly Rae: 
I had a great shoot this weekend.  We took some photos on a horse and then sitting on a pile of hay.  Then I did some barefoot walking in the weeds.  I have severe allergies to many things...one of which is hay.  After laying in the hay, I got really itchy bumps all over my back and on my legs.  I've been drowning myself in benadryl cream to relieve some of the itching.  I've got shoots coming up this weekend and I'm hoping that the bumps will be gone by then.  I've already cancelled two shoots because of it.  Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take to go away?  I've never had this kind of reaction before (then again, I've never lain in a pile of hay before, either).

Most likely you have chiggers.

Jul 12 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The best way to get rid of the itch is to go back to the hay pile and put fire to it. Throw in your viola and I guarantee all will be well.

Jul 12 05 11:00 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

As far as bad outdoor experience, yes, the bikini shot I was sitting on glass and bits of metal - I had bad cuts for 3 weeks.

You may want to see a doctor. An allergic reaction, chiggers, poison ivy/sumack/oak... each one of which would have a different treatment

Jul 12 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Kinda sounds like chiggers.  They're the worst!  They leave a red bump about the size of a pencil eraser with a little tiny hole at the top.  They itch like hell.

Don't know of a cure.  They'll go away after a few miserable days on their own.

Jul 12 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by LarryB: 
Kinda sounds like chiggers.  They're the worst!  They leave a red bump about the size of a pencil eraser with a little tiny hole at the top.  They itch like hell.

Don't know of a cure.  They'll go away after a few miserable days on their own.

I know how to get rid of them but not being able to be sure what they are she will need to look it up on her own.

And they want to be called chigroes now.

Jul 12 05 11:19 am Link

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

I don't think it's chiggers.  I've had them before and they were more concentrated.  Also the only bumps are where there are hair folicles (sp?) and they aren't that big.  A couple of the spots on my back are long and look more like scratches than bumps.

Jul 12 05 11:21 am Link

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

Posted by alexwh: 
The best way to get rid of the itch is to go back to the hay pile and put fire to it. Throw in your viola and I guarantee all will be well.

LOL.  If I actually thought that would work, I'd do it. 

Jul 12 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Shelly Rae: 
I don't think it's chiggers.  I've had them before and they were more concentrated.  Also the only bumps are where there are hair folicles (sp?) and they aren't that big.  A couple of the spots on my back are long and look more like scratches than bumps.

Could be anything that was in the field when they cut the hay. My suggestion, if you don't want to go to a doctor, is go to a farm supply store. Ask the guys hanging out what it is, they work with the stuff and will know the best way to get rid of it.

Jul 12 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Shelly I am into violists!
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050712/2/42d3ef413809d.jpg

Jul 12 05 11:28 am Link

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

Awesome smile  I need to do some pics with my viola.  I feel like I cheated on it when I did the pics with the cello.  tongue

Jul 12 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Shelly, on the other hand, "Did you hear about the Texas viola player...."is already funny.

Jul 12 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Karlton Photo

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

Now that you bring it up...

Just last weekend I was shooting along side a stream...
Bent down getting a shot...as I started standing up, I felt a horrible sharp pain just above my waistline. I gave out a "dayam"...shook out my shirt and this large bumble bee fell out and flew away.

I am allergic to bee stings...Ran a fever the second day...Been three days and my belly is still bright red and swollen...scary stuff! Cant wait to be able to button my pants all the way!...lol...

Jul 12 05 11:39 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

I asked to be your friend (and we did become friends) because I always have the hots for readheads. And now I find that not only are you a readhead but also a violist. I am going to ask permission from my wife to see if I can go to Texas soon.

Jul 12 05 11:40 am Link

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

LOL!  That's fine.  Just bring your camera smile 

Jul 12 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Bee Stings. I learned this fail safe method in Wreck Beach (a Vancouver clothes optional beach) years ago. It really works and it did recently when I was stung three times within minutes while pruning a hedge. You spit on a copper penny and keep it on the sting for about 10 minutes. The swelling goes down as well as the pain. It has to do with some chemical reaction between spit and copper.

Jul 12 05 12:19 pm Link

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

Interesting.  I have a way to avoid mosquito bites.  If you know you'll be in a mosquito-infested area (like planning a cookout at the lake), don't eat red meat for three days prior to the event.  I did it for 4th of July and it totally worked.  Not one mosquito bite, while others around me left with several.  I wish this had worked for the ant pile I stepped in sad

Jul 12 05 12:30 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Aquanet hair spray - spray it on your ant bites as soon as you get bit. Almost always the pain stops and there's no red spots.

Mosquitos, hm, I don't really eat that much red meat as it is. My friend takes a vitamin B complex everyday and swears it works. Another goes by aspirin therapy. Both seem to make your blood less tasty. wink Random fact: only the females suck your blood.

Bees - beeeee sure you remove the stinger. Then treat the sting. I prefer a mixture of oatmeal, water and meat tenderizer.

Jul 12 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Sara Green: 
Aquanet hair spray - spray it on your ant bites as soon as you get bit. Almost always the pain stops and there's no red spots.

Mosquitos, hm, I don't really eat that much red meat as it is. My friend takes a vitamin B complex everyday and swears it works. Another goes by aspirin therapy. Both seem to make your blood less tasty. wink Random fact: only the females suck your blood.

Bees - beeeee sure you remove the stinger. Then treat the sting. I prefer a mixture of oatmeal, water and meat tenderizer.

Household ammonia for bug bites. Meat tenderizer for jelly fish stings.

Every man in here knows it is the female that sucks blood... Oh you are talking about mosquitos.. Sorry, nevermind.. ;-)

Jul 12 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Go to see a doctor if the benadryl isn't helping, you may need to take a short course of steroids like prednisone... it's a bitch, but it might take time for the skin to heal if the inflamation is that persistent.

Jul 12 05 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Every man in here knows it is the female that sucks blood... Oh you are talking about mosquitos.. Sorry, nevermind.. ;-)

Dang Chiggers!!

Jul 12 05 07:00 pm Link

Model

Miya

San Diego, California, US

If you're outdoors and stung by a bee, mud works just as well for temporary relief from the pain.  And you were by a stream...hehe would been easy.  Otherwise, just hock up a bunch of spit into the dirt and apply smile

Jul 16 05 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

I think you got horse flu ....

Jul 16 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

S I E B

El Dorado Hills, California, US

I'll tell ya what... I'll fly out there and just be your personal scratcher for a few days!

Jul 16 05 06:38 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sounds like it could be an allergic reaction,. Try antihistamines perhaps.

Jul 17 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

What is this place called OUTSIDE?   I have heard of it but I thought it was a legend.

Jul 17 05 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Shelly Rae: 
I've never had this kind of reaction before (then again, I've never lain in a pile of hay before, either).

I dunno about your allergic little syphyllis bumps, but I sure am impressed that you used the word "lain" properly in a sentence.

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

And they want to be called chigroes now.

Don't they know the proper name of the insect is "chigero"?!

These people have no intelligance!

(See? I caught the Steve Martin joke in there.)

Jul 17 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

First I would say see a doctor for something stronger than over-the-counter meds if available...
Second, find some honey made by local bees to that area and eat it as you would any other spread or sweetener (you can sweeten lemonate and iced tea with it, or spread it on bread). For some reason this seems to stop any allergies to the plants the bee comes in regular contact with...

Posted by Shelly Rae: 

Jul 17 05 01:26 pm Link