Forums > Critique > Confused

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Xtreme I would like to indicate that I know this because I have been a photographer for 40 years and if I didn't know I would have no excuse except plain stupidity. My point is that those who know have to be kinder to those who don't know.

Jul 13 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

It's hard to be kind when valuable advice is washed aside with excuses, but I will keep that in mind.

I enjoyed the article and appreciated the story behind the photo.

You are an artist, so I guess I should listen to you...

Jul 13 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by alexwh: 
It is at the shutter where the rectangle of the shutter opening crops the photo to a rectangular shape.

Well, think about this for a minute.  As long as the shutter is larger than the sensor, or the film strip, the image will be correctly exposed.  I doubt they're worried about making the shutters precisely the size of the opening.

Paul

Jul 14 05 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
You were given technical comments 5 critiques ago and have not applied them.

I think Jerry Rice would say you've dropped the ball!

Yet. I will with my next shoot.

Jul 14 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
You were given technical comments 5 critiques ago and have not applied them.

I think Jerry Rice would say you've dropped the ball!

Yet. I will with my next shoot.

I would kindly suggest that it would be most benefitial to wait until you have new material before requesting another critique.

Jul 14 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Instructor: Jerry Rice

https://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2000/12/17/jerry-264x210-rice.jpg

http://www.nyip.com/photoworld/htmsrc/meetnyi0504.php

Jul 14 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Yes I looked at the school and saw they offer mail order classes.

To be honest, your photos are about the same quality as the other graduates on the site.

As an aside, I didn't see any photos on my brief visit to the site that demonstrated that a graduate of that school would understand how to take the photo of Jerry Rice above.

Jul 14 05 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

To be honest, your photos are about the same quality as the other graduates on the site.

As an aside, I didn't see any photos on my brief visit to the site that demonstrated that a graduate of that school would understand how to take the photo of Jerry Rice above.

May I ask what formal training you have?

Jul 14 05 09:38 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

What does my profile say?

Jul 14 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

What does my profile say?

Ok

Jul 14 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Look at the pics I have up now & tell me which one is missing please.

Jul 14 05 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 
Look at the pics I have up now & tell me which one is missing please.

A good one.

Jul 14 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I kid. I kid.

Your question just makes it too easy.

Which one is missing?

Well, you have four in your port, so it must be the fifth one...

Jul 14 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

Hey,  I never saw them to begin with.  You should repost, then ask the question.

Jul 14 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Here's a hint: The one I'm referring to apparently wasn't so upsetting after all.

Jul 14 05 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

Oh,,, now I remember.... the flag girl.  I guess I did look.  That was kinda in bad taste.  Glad you took it off.  And just to be fair... you can recommend that I take some of mine off (I refuse to take all of them off).

Jul 14 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

But then again, this is your post. 

Jul 14 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

OK. What does photog2b win?

Jul 14 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by photog2b: 
Oh,,, now I remember.... the flag girl.  I guess I did look.  That was kinda in bad taste.  Glad you took it off.  And just to be fair... you can recommend that I take some of mine off (I refuse to take all of them off). 

I don't find any of your pics offensive

Jul 15 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
OK. What does photog2b win?

My respect. Since he is the first to get the right answer to a question that about 3 others, who seemed horribly offended by it, should've noticed right off.

Jul 15 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I wasn't offended by the flag.

I just thought it was a good point someone raised about the stars being on the wrong side.

Also, using f/8 and having such a soft focus was annoying.

So my concerns were technical, not the subject.

It's fine with me if you want to take photos of the flag burning if that is an artistic statement you feel the need to make.

Jul 15 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

I'm sure they noticed Freelancer.  They were just trying to be polite. 

Jul 15 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

So, now that we are gathered here, do you have any new photos, or do you just like cleaning out your port and uploading the same photos on a daily basis?

Jul 15 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Freelancer, let me say again what I said the last time you asked.

"I believe before you start shooting models outdoors wearing very little clothing as you are now that you let them wear their own normal casual clothing for the shoots. I think that they will be much more relaxed and it will show in the images, heck, they will probably even smile.

Your models do not look comfortable at all and somewhat nervous or scared (I would be also if I were standing in the woods in my underwear,lol). Let them be themselves in their own clothing for now, when they do feel more comfortable wearing less clothing they'll start doing it themselves, you won't even have to ask.

You can't make a model look relaxed and comfortable if she's not."

Charlie has also said something similar.

You can crop and twist and whatever all you want but if your model looks scared or lifeless you've got nothing. That's your first priority.

Note: I have never asked a model to take anything off. They either made that decision themselves or they actually asked me if they could.

Jul 15 05 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
So, now that we are gathered here, do you have any new photos, or do you just like cleaning out your port and uploading the same photos on a daily basis?

I found an 8X10 print I did 8 or 9 years ago for a high school student as a senior portrait that is one of my favorites. I scanned it into my computer yesterday. But when I tried to upload it here, I found out it was too big. When I tried to resize it, it became pixilated. I have a wallet size print, but the color isn't as good. Any suggestions besides getting a 4X6 print made from the 8X10?

Jul 15 05 09:39 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I replied to you. Your post was moved to Site Related Discussions because it was specifically an issue about uploading here.

I would scan the image and size it in photoshop so that the longest dimension on the photo is 600 pixels.

8x12 photos work out to 600x400. Some people will tell you to set the image at 72dpi, but that is neither here nor there.

The main thing is 600 pixels on the longest side.

If it doesn't look good enough for the web at that size, you are doing something wrong.

Jul 15 05 09:46 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Ã? have sort of followed this thread and I believe that thanks to Confused and his dogged insistence and arguments we may all be questioning our photographs. By questining his and in particular the one of woman with the American flag I have noticed the many American flag bikinis here. There is a photographer's talk forum here that seems to be poorly used and most posters would rather talk about penis extensions, vegetarian diets, etc. But this particular thread could serve the purpose of teaching others on what to do.

I have rarely ever photographed a nude model nude from the beginning (this advice is given here so I would like to repeat it). Models outside will shed their clothes and feel more comfortable if photographed with their own clothes first. This one and other tips should help Confused and other nebies to make it in this field. So soldier on with the thread.

Jul 15 05 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
I replied to you. Your post was moved to Site Related Discussions because it was specifically an issue about uploading here.

I would scan the image and size it in photoshop so that the longest dimension on the photo is 600 pixels.

8x12 photos work out to 600x400. Some people will tell you to set the image at 72dpi, but that is neither here nor there.

The main thing is 600 pixels on the longest side.

If it doesn't look good enough for the web at that size, you are doing something wrong.

Ok. I don't have photoshop, but I'll try again with my scanner program. Thanks

Jul 15 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Good point Alex. It's also not advisable to shoot models with underwear under their clothing as bra straps and panty lines have a way of showing up and ruining an otherwise perfectly good photo.

The added benefit is that if you are going to be making photos of the model nude, they will not have marks on their skin from the tight elastics in their undergarments.

Most models know tight undergarments leave marks on their skin, and they won't wear them to a session if they will be shooting nude.

Jul 15 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Actually, the model wasn't nude, or even topless, behind the flag. She was wearing a white stapless bra & green velvet panties. Back then I liked doing implied nudes. True implieds. Not actual nudes/topless that don't show anything.

Jul 15 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Unless files are to be printed, and strictly speaking, their size should be listed as ppi and not dpi.

Jul 15 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by alexwh: 
Unless files are to be printed, and strictly speaking, their size should be listed as ppi and not dpi.

Exactly, especially since we all now know that dpi and ppi have no relavence to images produced for the web anyways.

Jul 15 05 10:29 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Freelancer: 
Actually, the model wasn't nude, or even topless, behind the flag. She was wearing a white stapless bra & green velvet panties. Back then I liked doing implied nudes. True implieds. Not actual nudes/topless that don't show anything.

That's actually a good point. Implied nudes are not really nude. I believe when a model is actually nude, but the nudity is not visible it is called a blocked shot...

Jul 15 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Freelancer: 

That's actually a good point. Implied nudes are not really nude. I believe when a model is actually nude, but the nudity is not visible it is called a blocked shot...

I agree that it should be called that. But when I brought up this point on a yahoo group about a year ago, It was met with about as much approval as my flag pic was here.

Jul 15 05 01:40 pm Link