Model

Jade Jadore

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am 32 and proud of it, never felt the need to lie either as, I don't look my age anyway{smile}.

+ Do you lie about your age in this business? If, so ... why?

+ Photographers ... would you work with someone that lies about their age?

Apr 19 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I hate it when a model lies to me about anything. 
But mostly when they lie about being a size 2 dress with a 6 1/2 shoe - and they tell you that as if you're never going to notice that they aren't even close to fitting into the size 2 dress you bought for the shoot...

Apr 19 05 06:49 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

I never lie about my age...and when I tell people how old I am they never believe me anyway;)
I have been told to lie...but why?
I do not look my age so as far as I am concerned it shouldn't matter ,and if it does....see ya and thanks for playin:)

Apr 19 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

But it's okay for me to lie.  I'm 26... I tell people I'm 40.  No one ever believes me, though.

Apr 19 05 06:51 pm Link

Model

Jillian K

New York, New York, US

well what if you look 15 and u'r actually 20, can't that be a little missleading?

Apr 19 05 06:55 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

Posted by Blacklist Visual: 
But it's okay for me to lie.  I'm 26... I tell people I'm 40.  No one ever believes me, though.

smile
Well I am 38....and I get IDed...
I love it:)
and thank the parents for good genes:)

Apr 19 05 06:56 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

I hate it when a model lies to me about anything. 
But mostly when they lie about being a size 2 dress with a 6 1/2 shoe - and they tell you that as if you're never going to notice that they aren't even close to fitting into the size 2 dress you bought for the shoot...

HAHAHA!!! And you know...I understand 100% and know that people do that for a fact!
wink

Apr 19 05 06:57 pm Link

Model

Jade Jadore

Chicago, Illinois, US

"quote"
smile
Well I am 38....and I get IDed...
I love it:)
and thank the parents for good genes:) "quote"

I know{lol} ... I love it when I still get carded! I feel it's a compliment{thanks mom}!

Apr 19 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I prefer honesty in a model, whether that is age, height, weight, measurements, or in what her specific limits are (i.e. no nudity).  If I work with a model who deliberately lies to me, I won't work with her again, no matter how good she is.

I also expect that any model will want me to be totally open and honest with them as to my expectations or needs in a model.

Apr 19 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I don't get ID'd anymore unless I try to go to a rated R movie... then I get stopped everytime.  I guess I look old enough to drink, but far too young too perv out in "Wild Things".

Apr 19 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Im 54 every one thinks im a kid!!
Models hmmm ya never know??

Apr 19 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

If I can age to look like Iggy Pop, I'll be a happy camper.  Oh, wait... I already do.  And I'm half his age.  I wonder what he'll look like at 120...

Apr 19 05 07:05 pm Link

Model

Victoria Lane

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

It is illegal in California to ask someone's age in regards to a job... generally as this leads to discrimination in the entertainment industry.  That's the only time I object to being asked, when it is being done to eliminate me from a job I can clearly do because I look much younger.

Apr 19 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Age is just a number in my book. As long as the model and I can collaborate on ideas, I don't really care what her age! smile

Apr 19 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Joi Carey

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Im 34 and still get carded..most be my sun advoidance and good irish genes:)

Apr 19 05 07:35 pm Link

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

What if you are seventeen and borderlining 18, like myself, and no one is even going to consider working with you until you are eighteen. It is like I am stuck between a rock and a hardplace, yet everyone tells me I need to get out there and work, but no one is willing to give me that chance!!!

Frustrated,
Jo

Apr 19 05 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by Jillian - 'Lita': 
well what if you look 15 and u'r actually 20, can't that be a little missleading?

Much more serious a problem if you look 20 but are really 15!!!!!

Apr 19 05 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Stay frustrated.  Because if you lied to me and your parents didn't like it, I'd be straight f***ed in my ass.  And I don't like being f***ed in my ass.  The whole underage thing leads to all kinds of problems, none of which you will be blamed for, because the law thinks you're too dumb to think for yourself.  So, instead, the law will blame me, and I will pay the fines or what-have-you.  DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR AGE IF YOU'RE UNDERAGE!  You could ruin somebody's 10 year attempt at making a career because you didn't want to wait 6 months to start your own.  It's selfish.  And retarded.  I just wanted to use the word retarded.

Apr 19 05 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

See- I look 45, but am actually 29.  This is why I work behind the camera, hehe.

Apr 19 05 10:04 pm Link

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Im not even implying that I would like to lie about my age, I am just saying even with parental consent, most people do not wnat to work with me because they just figure, wait until I am eighteen, and that is what is frustrating. So please before you assume I am that kind of model, listen to what I have to say, thoroughly.

J0

Stay frustrated.  Because if you lied to me and your parents didn't like it, I'd be straight f***ed in my ass.  And I don't like being f***ed in my ass.  The whole underage thing leads to all kinds of problems, none of which you will be blamed for, because the law thinks you're too dumb to think for yourself.  So, instead, the law will blame me, and I will pay the fines or what-have-you.  DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR AGE IF YOU'RE UNDERAGE!  You could ruin somebody's 10 year attempt at making a career because you didn't want to wait 6 months to start your own.  It's selfish.  And retarded.  I just wanted to use the word retarded.

Apr 19 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Jo: 
What if you are seventeen and borderlining 18, like myself, and no one is even going to consider working with you until you are eighteen. It is like I am stuck between a rock and a hardplace, yet everyone tells me I need to get out there and work, but no one is willing to give me that chance!!!

Frustrated,
Jo

Jo, you have a GREAT portfolio! Also I would work with you if I were in your area of the country. Blacklist is being crude and too harsh on you because you DID NOT SAY you would lie about your age. You said you are "frustrated" but if you have at least one parent who will sign minor model releases for you, then there should not be a problem. I've worked with minor age models before, and getting the extra signature is NOT that big a hassle. The rewards are even better when the parents are paying for their daughters portfolio! I've got a shoot like that coming up in LA soon!

If you don't have your parents support, well be patient, you'll be 18 soon enough.

Best wishes,
Patrick

Apr 19 05 10:18 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

I used to say I was 28 and when I put my real age..I actually got more work!
I think your images do the talking.
I have friends that are 21 that say 19..it's like me putting 32..same difference...who cares!
The height thing you can;t get away with and some models lie and I laugh b/c agencies measure!!!!

btw: I have seen Cyndie in person and she really looks 25...swear!

Apr 19 05 10:44 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

Posted by Naomi Jay: 
I used to say I was 28 and when I put my real age..I actually got more work!
I think your images do the talking.
I have friends that are 21 that say 19..it's like me putting 32..same difference...who cares!
The height thing you can;t get away with and some models lie and I laugh b/c agencies measure!!!!

btw: I have seen Cyndie in person and she really looks 25...swear!

*Smootches*

Apr 19 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Accept for the issue of being of legal age to sign a contract, age does not mean much to me. When I tell people my real age, they argue with me! Let's put it this way, when I was 18 years old, I had a full beard. I bought booze for me and my friends because I'd not get carded! Then later in life, I shaved it off and look younger. It's NOT a big deal, I even think it's funny!

Age aside ... no one is perfect, but I do like for a model to be honest with me. The things that matter to me are wrong size for clothes, braces or crooked teeth, lazy eyes, noticeable scars or tattoos, and saying that you are comfortable with something if you are not. Those things matter to me!

In other words, don't fool yourself into thinking that a photographer wont notice such things as crooked teeth, or a lazy eye then get all defensive if he/she says something about it. I've had models who are out front about their strengths and weaknesses (flaws) which makes for a better overall experience for both the photographer and model. The ones who not evaluate themselves realistically don't get called back.

One thing I'd like to do more of is women with animals. If I need for you to pose with a big snake, don't tell me "no problem" just to get the job then freak out when you thought maybe you could overcome your fears. THAT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO LIE ABOUT!

People who know me also know that I grew up in the country ... spent lots of time in the wilderness areas of California and Oregon (Where Hugh Jorgen lives!) Raised cattle, have had lots of dogs and cats as well as other critters as pets. I have no fear of animals, but it's people who scare me sometimes ...

Right now I live near Wild Things where they rent out their animals for photo shoots, films, etc. and I would not be afraid to get close to that beautiful lion I hear roar everyday! He is the most photographed one in the business. Anyone want to join me? I'm serious! He is just a big old kitty cat! So if you are willing to travel to the Monterey Bay Area, I can arrange for us get in the cage with him! wink

Photographers, models, anyone?

Apr 19 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Posted by Jo: 

Frustrated,
Jo

As far as I'm concerned, I'd work with you at whatever age, and all your photos would be age appropriate, and your parents would be involved if you were under 18.

If any photographer won't work with you until you are 18, he just doesn't want to be hassled by your parents when he asks you to get naked, so stay away from those guys.

Apr 19 05 10:51 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
Right now I live near Wild Things where they rent out their animals for photo shoots, films, etc. and I would not be afraid to get close to that beautiful lion I hear roar everyday! He is the most photographed one in the business. Anyone want to join me? I'm serious! He is just a big old kitty cat! So if you are willing to travel to the Monterey Bay Area, I can arrange for us get in the cage with him! wink

That has got to be a blast...

Apr 19 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Cyndiemyst: 

It f***** is! My mom and I have toured it ... they do have "some" animals that are seriously dangerous if the handler is not around (an Ape will kill ya if he/she wants to!) Isn't it interesting that the animals most closely related to us are also truly the most dangerous? Hmmm ... makes one think!

There is a section that is set up like a camp in Africa. It's a bed and breakfast in tents where the elephants deliver you breakfast!

Apr 19 05 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Cyndiemyst: 

Where do you  sign up?

Apr 19 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

OK! I want to know what does this age regard anyway. If it's an issues dig deep into your own inner thoughts aand ask you self does it matter. Will the client matter if the model is 40 when she says 20. Take a look at TV shows actors play teenagers when they are in the mid to late 20's. It's all an illusion or is being 50 for me the new 30 or was that 40. All joking aside...does it really matter

Apr 19 05 11:09 pm Link

Model

Cyndiemyst

Newark, New Jersey, US

It f***** is! My mom and I have toured it ... they do have "some" animals that are seriously dangerous if the handler is not around (an Ape will kill ya if he/she wants to!) Isn't it interesting that the animals most closely related to us are also truly the most dangerous? Hmmm ... makes one think!

There is a section that is set up like a camp in Africa. It's a bed and breakfast in tents where the elephants deliver you breakfast!

I am a huge animal lover...and I mean from slimy little frogs to my great big horse!
My home is like a mini zoo...but I have to admit..it takes a huge set of b***s to get in there with a lion...you know he looks at you as lunch:)

Apr 19 05 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Rothman

Oak Park, Illinois, US

I've worked with Models 17 to 50.  I knew the 17 Y/O's Mother and she signed the consent and release. The Mom asked me to shoot the young woman.  She also came to the shoot with her 22 Y/O sister whom I'd worked with before.  I had more problems with the 50 Y/O  LOL

I'm at the age where I have started to lie about my age.

Didn't have to when younger as NY had a 18 drinking age and how can you tell the difference between 17 and 18. At 16 you'd get carded. 

Now that I'm a bit older and have that gray beard, I tell people I'm a senior.  You would not believe the discounts I can get.  Some 17 Y/O at the movie theater is going to card me?  Yeah right.  LOL

When I shoot a young Model I do ask her to attest to her age on the release and will card her to keep her honest and me out of trouble.

Apr 19 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Cyndiemyst: 

I am a huge animal lover...and I mean from slimy little frogs to my great big horse!
My home is like a mini zoo...but I have to admit..it takes a huge set of b***s to get in there with a lion...you know he looks at you as lunch:)

Not this one! He was raised as a cub by his owner and owner of the facility that he lives on. I guarantee you have seen him many times already! I have walked right past mountain lions here in California, and not been attacked while others have. You must follow some rules ... DO NOT RUN from a cat! They WILL chase you! Stand tall, do not allow yourself to look like prey. But that is just a few of the common sense rules that you learn about nature. Way more people die at the hands of other human beings than all the numbers of people killed from animal attacks!

You know what, this is getting away from teh topic of age, so I will start another thread ...

Apr 19 05 11:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I used to try to remain vague about my age when I was younger. This was less for modeling and more because I'm prematurely old and crotchety. The last time I lied about my age I claimed to be 25 when I was in fact 26.3. The casting call was for ages 18-25 and I didn't feel like raising an eyebrow immediately over a couple of months. I much prefered to be rejected on my own merits. *sniffle*

I am considering claiming to be 35, because my, don't I look young and spry for 35?

Seriously though, I see some models' portfolios claiming certain ages or even claiming they *can* look younger than they are and I think "who do you think you're you fooling?"

Apr 19 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Apr 19 05 11:41 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm 24 but ppl always think I'm 16 or 17.and I agree I think it's wrong for a model to lie about her age measurments etc...
xxx
MP

Apr 20 05 12:06 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Nope. I'm 19 and damn proud of it~!

Apr 20 05 12:10 am Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Age matters for some reason.Men tend, as sick as it is to like young looking women. So yes.

I myself would shoot anyone if I found something intresting about them, something I could work with. I am art as of now though. People would rather raise the PR and not the BAR.

Apr 20 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Posted by Steven LaMarco: 
Age matters for some reason.Men tend, as sick as it is to like young looking women. So yes.

I myself would shoot anyone if I found something intresting about them, something I could work with. I am art as of now though. People would rather raise the PR and not the BAR.

I've photographed girls as young as preschool, and women as old as 90+, and I've found all of them interesting.  I don't limit myself to 18 yr old supermodels.

But I still don't like it when a model lies to me about her age.  If she'll lie about her age, what else will she lie about?

Apr 20 05 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Aperture Photographics: 

Posted by Steven LaMarco: 

I've photographed girls as young as preschool, and women as old as 90+, and I've found all of them interesting.  I don't limit myself to 18 yr old supermodels.

But I still don't like it when a model lies to me about her age.  If she'll lie about her age, what else will she lie about?

That is TRUE! It's a photographers duty to find the best features of a person and capture it. Being a portrait studio and wedding photographer has taught me a lot about people. The 18 year old's are not the only beautiful ones out there!

Apr 20 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just hate liers period!  There is no excuss for it!  I am always very open with people and anybody - models or photographers - that lies about anything in this business is not going anywhere with me.

Apr 20 05 12:41 am Link