Forums > Critique > My Style

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

Ok. I guess I should've posted this in the beginning. My style is pretty grass roots. Outdoors, little or no artificial lighting. I shoot locally because I don't want to drive for hours to a strange place & not be able to find a suitable location.

Jul 13 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Freelancer: 
Ok. I guess I should've posted this in the beginning. My style is pretty grass roots. Outdoors, little or no artificial lighting. I shoot locally because I don't want to drive for hours to a strange place & not be able to find a suitable location.

Some things are better off left unsaid.  That was one of 'em.

Most GWC's make the same statement when asked about their work or the equipment they use.

I'm not accusing you of being a GWC at all, but that IS one of the most common GWC phrases.  It's sort of a rationalization for not making an extra investment of time, equipment, or expense to create pictures.

The few people that I know that TRULY stick to a 'grass roots' method (that you've described) will have no problem waiting for several HOURS in a location until the elements (such as lighting, scenery, wildlife, and cloud formations) come together to produce an outstanding image.  If any single element doesn't appear in the scene... they'll continue to wait even longer.  Those people ARE truly Artists and have the right to be called a 'photographer'.

Jul 13 05 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

swavjusis

New York, New York, US

How to comment about this???

When you sometimes photograph a model, the tendency is to show things exactly as you see them (trying to reproduce it). If you can move beyond that, you can make the viewer question what they see. Simplisity coupled with creativity is often about centering your attention on somthing, not just the model as a whole.

Jul 13 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

Posted by swavjusis: 
How to comment about this???

When you sometimes photograph a model, the tendency is to show things exactly as you see them (trying to reproduce it). If you can move beyond that, you can make the viewer question what they see. Simplisity coupled with creativity is often about centering your attention on somthing, not just the model as a whole.

Thanks. Do you feel my "Dandelion" & "Buttercups" images achieve this?

Jul 13 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Next you'll say it's art, and that's that.

Jul 13 05 12:44 pm Link