Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Las Vegas Photography community.

Photographer

QJs Imaging

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:
Lake Mojave...  Never been hassled here unless the model was running around naked with kids around, then we only got a warning.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080306/16/47d05c88ce57c_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080623/06/485f7622460f4_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080705/01/486f0ad564403_m.jpghttps://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/080907/20/48c46bc23aa70_m.jpg

Thanks , Ill keep that in mind .

Jul 09 12 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

QJs Imaging

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:

It worked but please use a smaller image, 625 pixels on the wide side works best on MM without messing up the forum formatting.

Ok, sorry about that I corrected size.

Jul 09 12 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-JAY- wrote:
And I have officially started planning

"Jay's Awesometastic Photo Mixer"

I realized that my neighborhood's clubhouse would be perfect. As big (or bigger) than a studio... private... bar area... and reserving it for the day is cheaper than one hour in the studio...

Questions:
- Friday or Saturday night? - which would get the most attendance?
- One studio setup or two, for "hey, let's shoot something real quick"
- How much booze (all the booze, duh!)
- Chips and Queso! Okay, not a question, I just want chips and queso.

So kinda like the old first friday at roxy's (though hopefully bigger, since I won't charge ya $40 for a few minutes of shooting) and with my "polaroid party" added to the mix, should get some decent attendance.

Worth a shot... Hell ... do I really need a reason to get people together for a few drinks?

i am defs in for all of this.

two setups.

all the booze. (i concur)

chips and queso. (i also want chips and queso)

polaroid party?

Jul 09 12 08:40 pm Link

Model

Jansu

Albany, New York, US

I'm in Vegas in August.

Jul 09 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:
polaroid party?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=774861

Jul 09 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JansuModel wrote:
I'm in Vegas in August.

hopefully when I'm back from Hawaii... I'd love to shoot with ya.

Jul 09 12 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

JansuModel wrote:
I'm in Vegas in August.

Hello!  If you are coming in August then maybe I should be saying, Welcome to Hell, it's dam hot here then.

Jul 09 12 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

One from a few days ago...

https://www.daplv.com/vcg/DP3_3178.jpg

Jul 09 12 08:44 pm Link

Model

Jansu

Albany, New York, US

I just hope I don't leave Sin City with sins.

smile

Jul 09 12 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JansuModel wrote:

smile

then what's the point in coming?

Jul 09 12 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

VonJake-O Foto

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

QJs Imaging wrote:
this is what Im used to seeing back in Idaho. Taken a week before I moved here in June.
Quite a Culture shock . LOL

https://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/144648990.jpg

Welcome! Where at in Idaho are you from?

Jul 09 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JansuModel wrote:

smile

not to worry, i'm sure you're familiar with the motto of our fair city "what happens in vegas, stays in vegas".

unlike the robes, shampoos, and $47 pack of almonds, they don't go home with you wink

Jul 09 12 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-JAY- wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=774861

sounds fun.

very benevolent of you...mostly. tongue

Jul 09 12 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

QJs Imaging

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

VonJake-O Foto wrote:

Welcome! Where at in Idaho are you from?

Thanks !
Im from a small town called Kuna. Kuna about 25 minutes from Boise . I lived
in Boise for about 8 years then moved to Kuna for the past 11 years .

Jul 10 12 01:11 am Link

Photographer

VonJake-O Foto

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

QJs Imaging wrote:

Thanks !
Im from a small town called Kuna. Kuna about 25 minutes from Boise . I lived
in Boise for about 8 years then moved to Kuna for the past 11 years .

I have been to Kuna once or twice. I had a lot of fun playing around in the caves there.

Jul 10 12 06:19 am Link

Photographer

QJs Imaging

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

VonJake-O Foto wrote:

I have been to Kuna once or twice. I had a lot of fun playing around in the caves there.

Small world .lol
Most people dont know anything about Kuna because its so small. This time of year is great for floating/rafting Indian creek. They have had this heat wave also . Reached 108 yesterday and they have some nasty fires right now . Do you have family there ? I needed a change and my son is into Motosport racing so it made more sense to be closer to all 3 states we race .

Jul 10 12 10:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

DGCasey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:
Hello!  If you are coming in August then maybe I should be saying, Welcome to Hell, it's dam hot here then.

No shit!  It climbed above 110 degrees the other day and it will be that way for about the next six weeks.  The only good thing to come from it, as I've always said, is that when the temperature goes up, so do the hemlines.

Jul 10 12 11:58 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DGCasey wrote:

No shit!  It climbed above 110 degrees the other day and it will be that way for about the next six weeks.  The only good thing to come from it, as I've always said, is that when the temperature goes up, so do the hemlines.

You see some amazing things in the car next to you too. big_smile

Jul 10 12 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

https://www.daplv.com/MM/DP3_3504.jpg

Jul 10 12 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

what are you all using for digital storage?

i started a thread, but people have generally just gone off topic to rant about how they used to be storage professionals, espouse their points of view without giving any practical advice, and generally being buttheads. obvs there have been a handful of awesome helpful people, but i figured i'd take a poll in here too.

i'm stuck between saving some money, and effort, and the difference in reliability between external hard drives and bare hard drives in some sort of environment of their own.

SO IRRITATING.

Jul 11 12 02:07 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I thought my reply was helpful but you didn't see it that way?

Jul 11 12 02:09 am Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A M Johnson wrote:
I thought my reply was helpful but you didn't see it that way?

You were one of the few helpful respondents, I imagine. Though now I may go double check and hold it against you! tongue

Jul 11 12 02:17 am Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just double checked...yours was actually a very helpful reply, and an option I'm seriously considering now. Haha. With building a server, can it be hard wired, and will that be faster than using it wirelessly?

Most of the bullshit started creeping in the further from the first post things got.

Jul 11 12 02:23 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:
I just double checked...yours was actually a very helpful reply, and an option I'm seriously considering now. Haha. With building a server, can it be hard wired, and will that be faster than using it wirelessly?

Most of the bullshit started creeping in the further from the first post things got.

You can build a NAS using standard components and a RAID card. All it is is a cheap box with some hard drives in it with a NAS OS. You plug it in to your router and it talks to your computer via Ethernet. You can Google freeNAS to see if you want to DIY or I think they have complete ones on Newegg.

For just using external USB drives, you will need to buy drives anyway no matter what backup system you use. The enclosures are 20 bucks or so. The down  side is the speed. Ethernet blows USB away speed wise so the balance is between speed and cost of learning how to use a new type of hardware/software.

Jul 11 12 02:32 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:
what are you all using for digital storage?

i started a thread, but people have generally just gone off topic to rant about how they used to be storage professionals, espouse their points of view without giving any practical advice, and generally being buttheads. obvs there have been a handful of awesome helpful people, but i figured i'd take a poll in here too.

i'm stuck between saving some money, and effort, and the difference in reliability between external hard drives and bare hard drives in some sort of environment of their own.

SO IRRITATING.

I went with the cheaper way, a lil more work on my part but less money over all.

I use external USB drives for long term storage, kinda... What I do is put bare Sata drives into a few USB 3.0 cases, full them up then take the drives out and replace them with new ones.

When I copy my images, I copy them to two different drives, both USB. I do this once a week.

I also have a SATA docking bay so if I need to get to one of the drives that's been taken out of a case, all I do is drop it into the docking bay to access it.

I also have two Raid NAS's, never use them. Once they got full they just got unplugged.

Jul 11 12 09:33 am Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A M Johnson wrote:

You can build a NAS using standard components and a RAID card. All it is is a cheap box with some hard drives in it with a NAS OS. You plug it in to your router and it talks to your computer via Ethernet. You can Google freeNAS to see if you want to DIY or I think they have complete ones on Newegg.

For just using external USB drives, you will need to buy drives anyway no matter what backup system you use. The enclosures are 20 bucks or so. The down  side is the speed. Ethernet blows USB away speed wise so the balance is between speed and cost of learning how to use a new type of hardware/software.

From what I've read, it seems like the NAS boxes (at least, the ones premade by big companies) have a lot of trouble actually reaching their potential speeds and end up lingering somewhere around USB 2.0 speed anyway. Perhaps this is different building one's own. The only FireWire 800 enclosures I've found are like $80 apiece (didn't check newegg yet). OS X doesn't support USB 3, and my iMac doesn't have thunderbolt (which is ludicrously more expensive anyway).

I'm sure I could build a box for less using older parts, but using current stuff it looks like it would be around $600. I worry that using older components, even for something as simple as a NAS server would cripple it and piss me off.

Jul 11 12 10:21 am Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:

I went with the cheaper way, a lil more work on my part but less money over all.

I use external USB drives for long term storage, kinda... What I do is put bare Sata drives into a few USB 3.0 cases, full them up then take the drives out and replace them with new ones.

When I copy my images, I copy them to two different drives, both USB. I do this once a week.

I also have a SATA docking bay so if I need to get to one of the drives that's been taken out of a case, all I do is drop it into the docking bay to access it.

I also have two Raid NAS's, never use them. Once they got full they just got unplugged.

Sounds reasonable enough. If I had anywhere near the volume you do I'd probably do that as well. Any brands you trust or distrust specifically?

Jul 11 12 10:24 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:

Sounds reasonable enough. If I had anywhere near the volume you do I'd probably do that as well. Any brands you trust or distrust specifically?

I've had good luck with almost everything except for Western Digital, those always seem to die on me.

Jul 11 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:

I've had good luck with almost everything except for Western Digital, those always seem to die on me.

hmmm. go figure. usually it's seagate people bag on. haha.

Jul 11 12 11:33 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:

hmmm. go figure. usually it's seagate people bag on. haha.

hahaha not me, I have IDE Seagate's that still work fine, one of my raid boxes has 8 IDE Seagate's in it, still works.

Jul 11 12 11:37 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Seagates are usually well behind WD's in reliability. Some people will have a different experience. (This would be the "exception to every rule" rule. big_smile ) For NAS boxes, getting one that started out life as a regular desktop computer is preferable to getting a NAS box that is self contained, just as getting separate drives and enclosures is preferable to buying the Buffalo and Seagate rigs.

Jul 11 12 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

So I see this ad on CL asking for a "experienced" green screen photographer with lights, camera, computer, green-screen software, green-screen, printers, media, etc...  for a 3 day event.

I reply to it...

Got a phone call today from the people. Drugged people it seems...

They want me to setup a green screen booth at their carnival thing for 3 days, supply all my equipment including media for the printers and folios, shoot for 3 days, 10 hours per day (outside)...

and they will sell the pictures for $20 each then GIVE me 20% of the total "profits" that the booth makes.  WTF!

I think I may have pissed off whoever it was that called as I said "huh?" thinking I must of heard them wrong, they repeated it and I bust out laughing, could not stop.

I then said, "I do all the work and I only get 20% and you get 80%?"

they said... "we sell the pictures, that's harder than what you would be doing"

as I busted out laughing again they hung up on me.  hmm

Jul 11 12 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:
So I see this ad on CL asking for a "experienced" green screen photographer with lights, camera, computer, green-screen software, green-screen, printers, media, etc...  for a 3 day event.

I reply to it...

They want me to setup a green screen booth at their carnival thing for 3 days, supply all my equipment including media for the printers and folios, shoot for 3 days, 10 hours per day (outside)...

and they will sell the pictures for $20 each then GIVE me 20% of the total "profits" that the booth makes.  WTF!

I think I may have pissed off whoever it was that called as I said "huh?" thinking I must of heard them wrong, they repeated it and I bust out laughing, could not stop.

I talked to them too. You forgot to mention that they want to own all copyrights to the photos. They also hit me up with the, "This isn't paying much now but we'll be sending you future gigs that pay a lot more" bullshit. I just sat on the phone and listened to them go on and on with this nonsense, keeping my composure as best I could. I finally had to laugh out loud when they told me it was a replacement position because their previous photographer left them without notice. I started laughing and said, "Gee, I can't understand why!" I hung up on them, still laughing.

Jul 11 12 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Part of me wanted to take the job then show up with a Lego digital camera, a green tarp from Harbor Freight and one of these to print on.

https://www.techviva.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/selphy_cp770_003-300x282.jpg

Jul 11 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

QJs Imaging

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:

KNOCK ON WOOD mines still running strong. Ive had some of my storage for 5 years and its still working fine .They store alot of older stuff I dont use much at all now .
I have been lucky I guess with all of mine .

Jul 12 12 11:15 am Link

Photographer

QJs Imaging

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:

I reply to it...

What an insult. I would have told him to sit and spin. It annoyes me to no end how EVERYONE wants something for nothing . They seem to forget how much we invest in our equipment . What a bunch of IGNORANT douche bags .

Jul 12 12 11:18 am Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

QJs Imaging wrote:

What an insult. I would have told him to sit and spin. It annoyes me to no end how EVERYONE wants something for nothing . They seem to forget how much we invest in our equipment . What a bunch of IGNORANT douche bags .

You see many insulting castings right here on MM too. These people from out of state come here and want photographers TF. Fuck them. They wouldn't dare ask in their own area.

Jul 13 12 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A M Johnson wrote:

You see many insulting castings right here on MM too. These people from out of state come here and want photographers TF. Fuck them. They wouldn't dare ask in their own area.

hell it's hard enough to fuckin' cast here when you're paying.

my buddy needs a model for his photography camp, paying $50/hr for 2 hours per shoot, and usually he can squeeze $75/hr from the company...and i got a handful of replies, and the people i replied to never replied back. who the fuck turns down $100-150 for a couple hours, with a possible repeat a week later? easiest $200-300 ever.

Jul 13 12 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

j3_photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-The Dave- wrote:
Part of me wanted to take the job then show up with a Lego digital camera, a green tarp from Harbor Freight and one of these to print on.

https://www.techviva.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/selphy_cp770_003-300x282.jpg

This would have been hilarious!

Jul 13 12 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

D M E C K E R T wrote:
hell it's hard enough to fuckin' cast here when you're paying.

my buddy needs a model for his photography camp, paying $50/hr for 2 hours per shoot, and usually he can squeeze $75/hr from the company...and i got a handful of replies, and the people i replied to never replied back. who the fuck turns down $100-150 for a couple hours, with a possible repeat a week later? easiest $200-300 ever.

https://templatesagogo.com/smileys/fantasticsmileys/22.gif

Jul 13 12 01:29 pm Link