Forums > Photography Talk > Glamour style?

Photographer

guitarguy702

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Can anyone tell me where to find good tutorials or info on shooting glamour style photography. As in what kind of lighting and what settings to use? Fashion is different than glamour right? I have a Novatron 2 flash head w/umbrella set now....its is a cheaper set...think it was like 700.00 if that helps to know what model it is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 13 05 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Check Amazon.com or BN.com for glamour lighting books, or books on glamour/lingerie photography. I have a bunch (don't know the titles off-hand), but the problem with most is that they assume you have way more space, lighting equipment, reflectors and assistants than I'll ever have.

Jul 13 05 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

guitarguy702

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

thanks JvR! but can u tell me what is the most common focal lengths to shoot models with? zooms and primes?

Jul 13 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I don't care too much for some of the smugness of the GarageGlamour members but there is some good info here http://www.garageglamour.com/tips/tipsmain.php

From what I have read, I have found a 24-90mm lens to be the most common portrait lens in a studio setting. For outdoor shoots, it seems more like a 70-200mm tele lens. Look around the net by searching different variations of "glamour photography" and go to camera shops, book stores and libraries and look at books. Thats what I have been doing. Hope that helps a bit smile

Jul 13 05 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Check out the books by Steve Bavister.  His "portraits" book is a lesson in glamour styles, regardless of what the title is.  I'm trying to get hold of his glamor book.  His books are of the few that show you the lighting setup, and then explain WHY that particular setup was used, and what the photog was trying to achieve with that lighting setup.  Too many pix I see have nice lighting that's wrong for the message.

Jul 13 05 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

For focal lengths, 50mm is considered "normal".  Shorter than that and you start to get perspective effects that typcially can be unflattering when shooting models.  Shorter focal lengths can be used in some situations for "creative effect".

50, 85, and 135 are pretty traditional focal lengths for portrait/model photography.  I have a 24-70mm zoom which I typcially use at 50mm and 70mm, and occasionally at 35mm when I want to get a little wacky or have limited space.  I also have a 70-200mm zoom which I typically use at 85mm, 135mm and 200mm.

Yes, I actually look at the markings for the zoom ring and intentionally set a specific focal length.  I don't just point the camera and then "zoom to frame".

Longer focal lengths have an effect that appears to compress depth (the apparant distance between objects front to back becomes smaller).  This effect can be applied to create a more flattering image.  The longer focal length (along with a wide aperture) also helps reduce depth of field (how much of a scene is in focus).  Using this effect can help seperate the subject from the background.  You can see these effects in several of the images in my portfolio.

Jul 13 05 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Short tele is the norm. It's frustrating to me that the 70-200 is perfect for glamour on a film camera, but quickly becomes too long on a DSLR. I'm now mostly using my 28-70, but run the risk of going below 50 and get those distortions.

Jul 13 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

ishutter photography

Milton, Ontario, Canada

Here's a post on OMP from a photog which explains his Maxim style shoot from set up, shoot to post processing.  Pretty good read and simple set up.

[url="http://www.onemodelplace.com/newsletter_glamour_article7.cfm"]Maxim style shoot

Jul 14 05 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

The photographer in that Article Mike Brochu (omp #5244) is a friend of mine. We have been colaborating on a few shoots. I have got to learn his style first hand. I am now his technical advisor / staff member on his workshop tour. Our next workshop is in NYC on the 30th and 31st. 

See http://www.mikebrochu.net for more details.

The first Boston Workshop was sellout and all the photographers went away very pleased with their experience at the workshop. The next workshop after NYC is tenentively scheduled for the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area on Labor day weekend.

Mike and I are working with  Playboy Model Claudia Costa this Saturday. She will be attending the NYC Workshop too. Registration is filling up so if you plan  to  attend you need to act fast to get a seat.

Dave

Jul 14 05 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Dave Mullins: 
The photographer in that Article Mike Brochu (omp #5244) is a friend of mine. We have been colaborating on a few shoots. 

Sorry, but your pics aren't nearly as good as Mike's.  You're his "technical advisor?"  Who's yours?

Paul

Jul 14 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Posted by JvR: 
Short tele is the norm. It's frustrating to me that the 70-200 is perfect for glamour on a film camera, but quickly becomes too long on a DSLR.

Just gotta back up a little more, knock down that back wall if necessary smile

I love the 70-200 for the beach.  Usually plenty of room unless it's a small cove at high tide.  Need to invest in a pair of walkie-talkies though...

Me: ARCH YOUR BACK
Model: *turns to the left*
Me: PERFECT hmm

big_smile

Jul 14 05 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

As Mikes Technical Advisor for the workshops, I am keeping all the equipment working and such forth.

I am a Product Photographer and only started shooting people last summer. I have an Associate of Science Degree in Photography and know more types of lighting than Mike does. Mike's Style of lighting is the only style that he uses for everything he shoots. Plus there is the extra photoshop work needed to make the images "pop" like they do.

Dave

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by Dave Mullins: 
The photographer in that Article Mike Brochu (omp #5244) is a friend of mine. We have been colaborating on a few shoots. 

Sorry, but your pics aren't nearly as good as Mike's.  You're his "technical advisor?"  Who's yours?

Paul

Jul 14 05 01:49 pm Link