Forums > Photography Talk > How to protect my images without having negatives.

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Can some of the digital photographers out there explain something to me.  I have a lot of images from my digital camera.  How can I as the photographer protect myself and basically prove the a copy of any of my images is in fact mine.  Since I don't have negatives to prove this.  I have an instance where a model is using an image I made however I didn't give her any (because i paid her) so I can only assume she took it from my site or another hosting site.

Jul 13 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jibaili

i've heard that there are ways to add meta data to the image information that stay with the image even when uploaded and then downloaded from a website..   maybe someone else can expand on that for you...

wouldnt it be better to come to an arrangement with the model so that she could use the image but credit you for it.. watermarking maybe??

Jul 13 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well it was my second photoshoot ever so i had no clue what i was doing.  But the thing was since i was paying her for the shoot. I didn't think it was fair to give her images on top of that.  Its either TFP with me or it isn't.  Now I find her using my images on internet modeling sites as well as on suicide girls with NO credit. 

Jul 13 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

If you have a signed release and feel that pissed, sue her ass.

You have the original high res images, right?

I'd let it go though unless she's selling them.

Jul 13 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Put a big fat watermark on it and market yourself.

Jul 13 05 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

you can digimarc the image
it's part of photoshop
under the filter drop down list
it's at the bottom
you just have to register with digimarc
and for various fee levels they will even provide a search function that will scour the web and let you know where your images are

Jul 13 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Shoot RAW and never give those away.

Never give ALL the images away,  keep even a couple or no deal.

Jul 13 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

For those interested PS just put out a new update for the digimark plug in. You can find it thru plug-ins in the program which leads you to a link to upload it.
Digimark is the way to go and as stated you can track your images anywhere on the net.

Jul 13 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I know at least one way around Digimarc. I'm not telling though...

It's very easy.

Jul 13 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

what marksora said. Shoot raw, also if you shoot canon, using the zoombrowser you can tell the camera your name, so that all raw shots done there after has your name attached to all of them. also I think raw shows also saves the serial number of the cameras they are shot off of.

Jul 13 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

Well depending on how they got it encoded, you can get around thru recompression probally, but if using that micro watermarks all throughout the image then its very hard to do, especially if someone is running a test specifically on that image. In a way I think the whole "protect" your image debates to be taking alot of time out of lives.

Jul 13 05 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How do you put a watermark on it. For that matter, exactly what is a watermark?

Jul 13 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As for the digimark.  If i have a copy of photoshop that is lent to me, do i need to register it to use digimarc?

Jul 13 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

OK, so I got me one of them there double post thingies...

Jul 13 05 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Karl Blessing: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

Well depending on how they got it encoded, you can get around thru recompression probally, but if using that micro watermarks all throughout the image then its very hard to do, especially if someone is running a test specifically on that image. In a way I think the whole "protect" your image debates to be taking alot of time out of lives.

It's easier than that.

Jul 13 05 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

If you're talking about copy and paste, you're forgetting steganographic watermark traces.

Jul 13 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

The question here is what kind of protection are you looking for?

If you give a model digital images, realistically there's not all that much you can really do if they decide to post them somewhere without your permission.

However - if you register your images with the US Copyright Office and someone uses your images without your permission - you have the ability to threaten someone with Federal Laws and fairly high $ penalties. Under the DMCA, you can also go right to the ISP or Hosting Company that hosts a website and they are required to remove the images if you can prove your images are copyrighted and are being used without permission.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that Copyright cases are VERY expensive to litigate. In most cases, the "Threat" of the lawsuit will solve the problem situation.  However, some folks might try to call your bluff and see if you actually go through with prosecuting the case... then it's lawyer time.

Now - as for "proving" the images are yours - a copyright registration would go a long way in doing that.

Read your photoshop manual about metadata and be sure you always embed your copyright notice and other information in the digital file metadata.  This info can be stripped out, but casual infringers don't usually do this.

Jul 14 05 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

well i'm going to have to get some reading material, i'm in Canada but i'm sure the laws are similar.  I do put the copyright on my images that I post on the net now.  At the time in question I didn't know how to do that.  I'll try the digimarc.

Jul 14 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

protecting your property, there are a first few steps aswell as a few assumtions.
first off ill use your current situation your stuck in. what you need to do is contact the person, (after you go through the agreement she signed), then you politely request that she provide your info regarding ©  and specify you wouldnt have a problem if she gave you the recognition you deserve. and then you tell her you will expect the images you provide to her (pro bono, be and play nice [first]), meanwhile you pay the $30 and register all the images you took of her as a group.

Ok, undersand the word opacity relative to the passing of light through. clear glass is 100% opacity, everything else is measureable on the % scale relatively speaking. so if you take 2 prints and one ontop of the other and backlight them youll see the behind through the front image, this is what describing opacity with image editing.

ok following me sofar! good, now you create a logo to use for the watermark and the last thing you do to an image you intend to make public is add this as an imported image to another layer with the opacity level set to someware around 15-30% depending on the images content, wharever you feel it is not taking away too much from the image. (flatten the layers, save as...bla bla..) ill author more )edit( i just ran out of breath and coffee!
https://www.marthasvineyardisland.net/ebayimages/67MustangGT500byCarolShelby_wm.jpg

Jul 14 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

yeah, but most of the losers don't have the time to take their own pics let alone play games to eradicate a digital watermark, if they even know to look for them.  Locks only keep honest people honest.  If someone want to take the time there's probably a way around every safeguard.
C'est la Fotographie

Jul 14 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Rick Edwards: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

yeah, but most of the losers don't have the time to take their own pics let alone play games to eradicate a digital watermark, if they even know to look for them.  Locks only keep honest people honest.  If someone want to take the time there's probably a way around every safeguard.
C'est la Fotographie

Most thieves are cowards and are lazy.  Putting the digimarc up will protect unless someone has a grudge against you or if she is really,  really hot.

Jul 14 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

If you have not altered the files on your system, and you need to prove copyright, you can prove, depending on the camera, when the shot was taken, and to a lesser extend when it was transferred.

However, none of that usually holds up in court if it came to it, because all of that can be forged.

I usually protect mine in 3 ways.

1 - Photoshop meta tags.
2 - Digimarc
3 - Transparent water mark in the image that can be "Brought up" using certain software. Basically It uses pixels in the picture that when brought together make a particular mark. Looking at the image, you can not tell it is there.

Jul 14 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Ched: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

If you're talking about copy and paste, you're forgetting steganographic watermark traces.

Close.

Jul 14 05 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

There is one sure way to get around the digimark which i have tried and it works, but it dont work with the visual watermarks or text.

Jul 14 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by Rick Edwards: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's very easy.

C'est la Fotographie

Most thieves are cowards and are lazy.  Putting the digimarc up will protect unless someone has a grudge against you or if she is really,  really hot.

I agree...

A big fat watermark works well unless they crop it out. Nothing is 100% secure these days...

Jul 14 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Abel

Dallas, Texas, US

Resampling usually gets rid of watermarks for me.  Also a program called stirmark does a good job with out any degredation.  I've heard of others, but didn't bother looking into it much. It's all pretty much pointless.  You'll defeat the cusual and uninformed, but anyone who really wants your work will have it.

Jul 14 05 05:40 pm Link