Forums > Photography Talk > When do you find the time...?

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I'm wondering how other photographers manage to squeeze time in for arranging shoots and doing the shoots.

I'm married, got two kids and a full-time job. In between social stuff and the kids' sports, I hardly ever find the time to shoot or arrange a shoot (studio, models, etc.)

Anybody here in the same situation? How do you deal with it?

Jul 13 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

I'd imagine people in your same situation are pretty much doing it the way you do it. They find the time, just so as long as you keep your priorities straight. I'm sure the people who do shoots professionally use their photography as a full time if not close to full time job.

I cannot speak for them as I'm only engaged and I probally wont be in your shoes until a few years from now. But I'm just speculating in case someone doesnt reply any time soon.

Jul 13 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Married photographers?

Jul 13 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Married photographers?

And?

Jul 13 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Married photographers?

And?

The stereotype is that they are all single middle-aged men.

I was just kidding.

Jul 13 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Married photographers?

And?

I was just kidding.

Yeah, I figure they either gave up photography because they didn't have the time or they gave up their marriage and have all the time in the world as single guys...

Jul 13 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Sometimes at parties,  (I hang out with Bankers and Lawyers often)

I think I would be better off saying the George Castanza line,  I am unemployed,  going bald, and I live with my mother,  would you like to go out.

Rather than saying I am a Freelance fashion/travel photographer.   The good ones know it is hard when you are working and hard when you are not.   When I do say it,  they often take two steps backwards.

Jul 13 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

"There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead."
-Um, that guy in Die Another Day

Jul 13 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Married photographers?

And?

I was just kidding.

I think the phrase "more mature" is what you're looking for

Just kidding, of course ...

Jul 13 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I have a kid, a live in girlfriend, a full time day job as a studio portrait photographer, on weekends I'm a club promoter.  Where do I find time to shoot models?  Oh, that's between eat and sleep.

Jul 13 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Honestly until MM I've never heard any mention of stereotypes from models or photogs, maybe I've just been hanging with an uninformed crowd. sad

I guess I never fit the stereotype, except for just hitting 50 but can still easily pass for my late 30's (after I've shaved of course). I'm in great shape and have no medical problems.
Happily married for 27 years.
My car is a new pickup (always hauling stuff around).
Just bought another bike (Harley Sportster).
Have no mortgage, bought a new 2 car garage brick ranch last year, nothing at all is being financed or payed off.
Life has been good!

On the other hand a photog friend of mine who is the same age, single and heavily balding, overweight, lived in a room in his mothers house in Newark, NJ until last year (believe he inherited some cash or he'd still be there) and now has an apartment. He has all kinds of medical problems (no medical benefits at all) and has never had a decent job in his life, always worked in camera stores. It's a sad thing too because he is a great guy.

I would have to say that "he" definitely fits the stereotype!

Jul 13 05 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by JvR: 
I'm married, got two kids and a full-time job. In between social stuff and the kids' sports, I hardly ever find the time to shoot or arrange a shoot (studio, models, etc.)

I'm a single guy with a full-time job. I never find time to shoot because I spend my time trying to cultivate relationships which might lead to a marriage and two kids.

Grass is always greener, my friend........

Jul 14 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

i generally have an assistant (female of course) do scheduling and inquiring with models and arranging studio slots in general, being that i look way younger than my age

the couple of times i ever did try and inquire with a model, they normally say i dont "look like a photographer" - whatever thats supposed to mean

good to see people having a social life within photography - i generally walk into the "why date me when you can date the models you work with" lines from women, so i just mingle and whore around every once in a while, lol

Jul 14 05 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Ima BWC

Bum With camera...lol

Jul 14 05 01:02 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by JvR: 
I'm wondering how other photographers manage to squeeze time in for arranging shoots and doing the shoots.

Looks like you need to optimize your socializing. Spend one weekend analyzing two key areas.

1) Your socializing behavior
2) Who you socialize with

After you've determined that, you should have a notebook filled with results from your analysis. That makes it easy to begin operation, "Optimize Social Life".

1) Socializing behavior

a. Minimize, or completely remove the "talking about yourself" part. Put it on a web page and brag your ass off.

b. Allot one minute for each person to give you the run down of their day. To ensure the person you're talking with doesn't bring up unwanted conversation, give them an FYI that you have loose lips.

a. In-Laws are the first to go. These yakkety-yaks spend their entire time telling you useless bullshit about their dramas at the job and with co-workers. If not that, they find ways to get the most out of you for free, and wonder why their brother/sister married you and want you to babysit their kids, while they go out clubbing and painting the town red. In the end, they'll forget all the favors you did for them and backstab you anyway. So, fuck 'em.

b. Co-workers should be next. Most of them spend their entire time trying to convince you to let them hold the lights at your next nude photo shoot.

c. Friends should be next. They're the same as co-workers. Except, worse. Friends take you out clubbing all the time and to places that have so many fine ass chicks. Why allow yourself to be teased like that when you could get a job as the club photographer and shoot while you're clubbing.

d. Neighbors are next. Although, most of them are never home, when they are, it's endless hours of boring discussion about how they oriented all of their household furniture to be compliant with Feng Shui. Who gives a damn what direction the bed faces as long as it's there when you're ready to sleep or fuck.

If you do a thorough analysis, you'll find that the list can get quite comprehensive. Good luck! Hope that helps.

*grin*

Jul 14 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by JvR: 

I'm a single guy with a full-time job. I never find time to shoot because I spend my time trying to cultivate relationships which might lead to a marriage and two kids.

Grass is always greener, my friend........

I guess so, yes.

Jul 14 05 05:21 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by JvR: 

Looks like you need to optimize your socializing. Spend one weekend analyzing two key areas.

After you've determined that, you should have a notebook filled with results from your analysis. That makes it easy to begin operation, "Optimize Social Life".

1) Socializing behavior

a. Minimize, or completely remove the "talking about yourself" part. Put it on a web page and brag your ass off.

b. Allot one minute for each person to give you the run down of their day. To ensure the person you're talking with doesn't bring up unwanted conversation, give them an FYI that you have loose lips.

a. In-Laws are the first to go. These yakkety-yaks spend their entire time telling you useless bullshit about their dramas at the job and with co-workers. If not that, they find ways to get the most out of you for free, and wonder why their brother/sister married you and want you to babysit their kids, while they go out clubbing and painting the town red. In the end, they'll forget all the favors you did for them and backstab you anyway. So, fuck 'em.

b. Co-workers should be next. Most of them spend their entire time trying to convince you to let them hold the lights at your next nude photo shoot.

c. Friends should be next. They're the same as co-workers. Except, worse. Friends take you out clubbing all the time and to places that have so many fine ass chicks. Why allow yourself to be teased like that when you could get a job as the club photographer and shoot while you're clubbing.

d. Neighbors are next. Although, most of them are never home, when they are, it's endless hours of boring discussion about how they oriented all of their household furniture to be compliant with Feng Shui. Who gives a damn what direction the bed faces as long as it's there when you're ready to sleep or fuck.

If you do a thorough analysis, you'll find that the list can get quite comprehensive. Good luck! Hope that helps.

*grin*

Mmmh, interesting analysis... so, that's what you've done? Any friends left?

Jul 14 05 05:23 am Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Everyone is missing the point, to answer your question you could follow my example.

I use Pro plus, starbucks and take 3 hours sleep per day,  I fit everything in easy.

FT job
Family
Cycling
MBA
Camera clubs
Photog HND!!!
Political Duties
School govener
and I am working on my first book.

Jul 14 05 06:26 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by JvR: 

The thing is photography is not your full time gig, so it's going to be stressful to you.

Jul 14 05 06:33 am Link

Photographer

MJ Images Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

It is called time management.  In addition, you will need to asset if photography is important to you and why.  In addition, how about using the model you have right in your home?  Photo of your children, the sunset, sunrise.  Do you take your equipment with you everywhere?  How about during you lunch time?

If photography is a hobby then why worry, get it where you can, but it you are working toward making a living at it you will need to manage your time better. 

All my childern are adults and I my grandson is 5.  I have been married for 26 years.  Retired Navy 24 1/2 yrs.  I am involved in the following and happy!

- Photograher
- Full Time student (WHR and Psycology degree - will be completed Oct 2006)
- ToastMasters International member (weekly speeches to better my public speaking skill - I have more than 23 years experience)
- Massage Therapist  (out calls only - which means I go to my clients)
Not to mention I am on the scene of the happening here in Jacksonville, Fl

TIME MANAGEMENT - ASK YOURSELF WANT IS THE BEST USE OF MY TIME RIGHT NOW!

TIME MANAGEMENT MEANS YOU SIT DOWN AND PLAN WHAT YOU WILL DO, WHEN YOU WILL DO IT, AND THEN JUST DO IT.  DO NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO VIOLATE YOUR SCHEDULE! THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO SHOULD (AND NOT ALL THE TIMES) ARE YOUR KIDS AND YOUR SPOUSE.

AND I AM WRITTING A BOOK NOW!  I got 4 to 8 hours of sleep depending on my schedule for that day.

Jul 14 05 07:31 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by StudioGuru: 
Everyone is missing the point, to answer your question you could follow my example.

I use Pro plus, starbucks and take 3 hours sleep per day,  I fit everything in easy.

FT job
Family
Cycling
MBA
Camera clubs
Photog HND!!!
Political Duties
School govener
and I am working on my first book.

What's Pro plus? Three hours of sleep a night...I wish

Jul 14 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by MrJames: 
It is called time management.  In addition, you will need to asset if photography is important to you and why.  In addition, how about using the model you have right in your home?  Photo of your children, the sunset, sunrise.  Do you take your equipment with you everywhere?  How about during you lunch time?

If photography is a hobby then why worry, get it where you can, but it you are working toward making a living at it you will need to manage your time better. 

All my childern are adults and I my grandson is 5.  I have been married for 26 years.  Retired Navy 24 1/2 yrs.  I am involved in the following and happy!

- Photograher
- Full Time student (WHR and Psycology degree - will be completed Oct 2006)
- ToastMasters International member (weekly speeches to better my public speaking skill - I have more than 23 years experience)
- Massage Therapist  (out calls only - which means I go to my clients)
Not to mention I am on the scene of the happening here in Jacksonville, Fl

TIME MANAGEMENT - ASK YOURSELF WANT IS THE BEST USE OF MY TIME RIGHT NOW!

TIME MANAGEMENT MEANS YOU SIT DOWN AND PLAN WHAT YOU WILL DO, WHEN YOU WILL DO IT, AND THEN JUST DO IT.  DO NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO VIOLATE YOUR SCHEDULE! THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO SHOULD (AND NOT ALL THE TIMES) ARE YOUR KIDS AND YOUR SPOUSE.

AND I AM WRITTING A BOOK NOW!  I got 4 to 8 hours of sleep depending on my schedule for that day.

Good points, but the key part is that Kids and Spouse could violate that schedule and that's what happens. I had a studio time share lined up in early Spring, then saw my kids' sports schedule and had to ditch the studio share.

I have time for photography in general, taking the camera with me when we go with the family, or making some early morning trips in the area, before the rest wakes up. The issue is model shoots, which take more preparation and time.

I'm not planning to become a pro, so I have no excuse making this a top priority.

Jul 14 05 07:42 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

- Shoot on location. Lose the Studio. Most locations you don't need to pay for or book.
- Time management
- Mr. James's advice
- Tell models that your shoots are TFP/CD for 1 or 2 hours max. Good for the model. Good for you.
- Give it all in one email - no more phone tag or email tag. That takes up a lot of time.

Example: Kids sports game at park. Tell model to meet you there two hours before. Get a few shots in. Then you're there for the game.

Example: Take short lunches during the week. On Fridays take a long lunch and get a shoot in.

Jul 14 05 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I work on the theory that sleep is for the weak.

Actually, I think I could sleep for a week...

Jul 14 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by JvR: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by JvR: 

1) Socializing behavior

*grin*

Mmmh, interesting analysis... so, that's what you've done? Any friends left?

I forgot to mention...

If you have more than one kid, invest in a micro-cassette recorder and record your lecture to one kid and play it back to the other kid when s/he makes the same mistake.

*grin*

Surely, you realize that I jest big_smile

Jul 14 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

I forgot to mention...

If you have more than one kid, invest in a micro-cassette recorder and record your lecture to one kid and play it back to the other kid when s/he makes the same mistake.

*grin*

Surely, you realize that I jest big_smile

Yeah, Joe, I do realize that you jest. It's funny, too. Made my wife laugh too when I told her someone suggested I'd drop the in-laws first...

Jul 14 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Married photographers?

I am married and own my studio, shoot full time, have a wife and 2 kids. Contrary to popular belief photographers aren't all sleazy single men looking to get laid!

Jul 20 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Married, 2 kids, and a fulltime job...this is how I manage it.

2 day's per week for sleep (spread out of course)

2 day's per week (48 hr's) full time day job.

3 day per week for wife and family stuff

that leave 1 day per week for my photography

Jul 20 05 08:32 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by Merle: 
Married, 2 kids, and a fulltime job...this is how I manage it.

2 day's per week for sleep (spread out of course)

2 day's per week (48 hr's) full time day job.

3 day per week for wife and family stuff

that leave 1 day per week for my photography

Thanks Merle. Isn't the spreading out the issue, though. I work about 40 hours a week, at home, so I actually don't spend too much time working right now and don't have a commute.

The problem is that I hardly ever have 3-4 hours or more as an open slot for photography. A solution would be to shoot at home, but my wife has some doubts about having strangers in the house, so I've shot some friends here, but no models (yet?).

Jul 20 05 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Mark Crismond Photos

SICKLERVILLE, New Jersey, US

Married...Father of 3. Two in college, one in the navy. Been shooting longer than my kids have been alive.

Photography has been supporting my family for all of these years. How did I do it? When did I find the time?

For 10 years I bartended at night. This gave me my days free. When my kids were in school and my wife was at work I had the time to setup and do shoots. Didn't have to split the time with my job or my family (for the most part, except when I was on the road.) I didn't get much sleep, but hey, something had to be sacrificed!!!

Jul 20 05 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am lucky, but it took/takes a lot of hard work.

I have a stand alone studio that is open for business, Mon-Sat, from 9am-9pm. I shoot as the client and time dictates. This is how I make my living.

Before as a hobbiest, I shot as my work schedule permitted, always making the necessary time for family.

Photography can be your love, your passion, your calling....BUT it CANNOT be your life.  Enjoy all of the aspects of who you are and what you do!!

Oliver Cole

Jul 20 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

JvR, It was meant as a joke (all that adds up to 8 day's per week). So, in a way was saying I'm in the same boat. I'm lucky to telecommute (fancy for work from home), so I can work on photo stuff between conf calls and such. It's tough, but you'll find a way.

Jul 20 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Posted by Merle: 
JvR, It was meant as a joke (all that adds up to 8 day's per week). So, in a way was saying I'm in the same boat. I'm lucky to telecommute (fancy for work from home), so I can work on photo stuff between conf calls and such. It's tough, but you'll find a way. 

Duh... Only now did I look at the numbers.

I just wish I could afford some space close by, so I could jump over and do a shoot. Like yours, my hours are flexible, but not flexible enough to be away for more than a few hours (and of course, I'd have to play catch up early morning or late nights).

Jul 20 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

i am married, no kids...but i have two dogs that need a lot of attention.  i am a housekeeper during the day.  i do web design on the side, as well as run four of my own websites.  my husband is a bike builder and i am very invloved in that as well.  we are trying very hard to make that our full time biz.  somewhere in between that, i fiind time to shoot.  the good thing for me is that the housekeeping is my own thing.  i make my own hours and work by myself, so i can easily arrange my work schedule to suit my needs.  my husband is very supportive of what i do, so in that i am lucky.  so we just figure it all out.  i just think when you want something bad enough, you somehow find the time to do it.  but i would be a liar if i told you i don't crash and burn sometimes smile

Jul 21 05 12:21 am Link