Forums > Photography Talk > Film Damage from the Heat

Photographer

Thuc Nguyen

Los Angeles, California, US

I know there's still a large segment here still using film so I want to get some of your experiences when working in extreme temperatures like in 100+ degrees or leaving film in the car.

Left some in a cooler bag in the hot car when I decided to use digital.  Toss out the film or use it and take my chances?

TN

Jul 13 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

If it was in a cooler bag then it was not exposed to the kind of heat probably that would damage it. If the film was still in the canister, in the cooler bag then it most likely is ok.
If your still worried about it then dont use it for something important, use it for test shots or something.
If the film is melted throw it out and definetly buy a new cooler bag that one is not working right.

Jul 13 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Thuc Nguyen

Thanks for the feedback Peter.  I know it's common sense to test out a few rolls, but just wanted to see how others deal with shooting with film in hot weather.

Jul 13 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Was it warm to the touch when you took it out, or hot?  I"ve had film in Singapore and SE Asia get pretty hot, and all that does is age it faster.  Shoot it soon, you're fine.  Even with a cooler, the 200 rolls I had in Sri Lanka used to get pretty warm every day of the two weeks I was there, and every image was just fine.

If it's been in the hot car for a couple months while you ignored it, toss it.  a few days of high heat is like a year of normal shelf life.  a cooler bag isn't cool if it stays in the car all day every day.

Jul 14 05 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Thuc Nguyen

It was warm to the touch and the film was left in the car for only a few hours.  Based on your past experiences, I think my rolls are still useable.  Appreciate your advice Ed.

Posted by Ed Nazarko: 
Was it warm to the touch when you took it out, or hot?  I"ve had film in Singapore and SE Asia get pretty hot, and all that does is age it faster.  Shoot it soon, you're fine.  Even with a cooler, the 200 rolls I had in Sri Lanka used to get pretty warm every day of the two weeks I was there, and every image was just fine.

If it's been in the hot car for a couple months while you ignored it, toss it.  a few days of high heat is like a year of normal shelf life.  a cooler bag isn't cool if it stays in the car all day every day.

Jul 14 05 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Most likely you're golden. The film should be fine. Depending on the film, with chrome 200, even heavy heat may only make it about a half a stop push more contrasty or brassy. Now if you put it on your dashboard and left it... all bets would be off.

I still have more film in my fridge at home than food.

Jul 15 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

sacrifice one roll, fire off some test shots, process and check it- I wouldn't chance it on anything important.

Jul 15 05 06:43 pm Link