Forums > Photography Talk > When was the last time you backed up your work?

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

No, I'm not that interested in exactly when; this is more of a heads-up to all you digital mavens out there.

But since we're already here, a discussion of general backup techniques is in order. I'll start:

My images are on an internal drive. I have 2 external firewire drives which I rotate weekly for backups of the entire image drive. The most recent is kept in a fireproof safe which I can grab and go in case of a fire. Incremental backups (daily changes) I burn to CD and discard after the next weekly backup.

Remember, equipment can be replaced. Your images, whether they're digital, prints, slides or negs, cannot.

Jul 14 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I burn my images to DVD after every shoot and just keep adding to it as I go. I have seperate DVDs for each model I work with of course.

Jul 14 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Hailey

Round Rock, Texas, US

You speak of something that hits home. My studio was broken into about 9 months ago. I was devistated that the guy stole my equipment, but insurance replaced that. The jerks also stole 2 of my portfolios (which is super icky to think about because god only knows what they are doing with it.) My external hard drive that I saved all my images to was stolen as well. HORRIBLE feeling of loosing everything. BACKUP YOUR DATA!!!

Jul 14 05 11:31 am Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

encrypt (so he cant look at them) and i send copies to my dad!
likewise .zipping them makes the possibility of even partial data loss much lower. a .zip file is easier to 'rebuild' than a half a .jpg !

Jul 14 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I don't understand why you're backing up your images over and over.  They're not going to change.  I burn a CD after myself and the model have made our selections and that's that.

Paul

Jul 14 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I bought 2) 80GB external USB 2.0 drives. One is my music server and the other is a photo & file backup drive. I rewrite over it whenever I feel I have enough new work to worry about. I'd like to leave it at my friend's home at some point.

-TMH

Jul 14 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Posted by PhotographerMV: 
encrypt (so he cant look at them) and i send copies to my dad!
likewise .zipping them makes the possibility of even partial data loss much lower. a .zip file is easier to 'rebuild' than a half a .jpg !

In a similar vein, WinRAR (www.rarlab.com) will encrypt and generate parity files (extra files that can be used to rebuild archives in case of loss) in one step. If you're archiving tons of material it will split your archive into convenient CD- or DVD-sized pieces.

Alternately, a program called QuickPar can generate parity files from any source.

Jul 14 05 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 
I don't understand why you're backing up your images over and over.  They're not going to change.  I burn a CD after myself and the model have made our selections and that's that.

Paul

He backs up an image of the entire drive which changes everytime he adds files to it.

CDs have a lifespan of 5-6 years, depending on the manufacturing factory it was produced at, and can easily be damaged.

Jul 14 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

off-site location is always the best way to store your files.

Jul 14 05 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

0. Shoot
1. CF cards through DNG Converter to hard drive
2. Copy DNGs from hard drive to external hard drive
3. Burn DVD of DNGs
4. Only then, toss CF cards back into bag
5. Work on internal hard drive, deleting DNGs I don't want. Full set stays on external hard drive and (of course) DVD
6. Convert keepers to PSD with attendent layers and such
7. Copy cache files (with RAW settings) to external hard drive and burn another DVD with cache files. This DVD stays in my studio, the first DVD goes to my safe-deposit box
8. Delete DNGs from internal hard drive to make more space
9. Burn final PSDs to DVD

Then I can make prints.

It's not as arduous as it sounds - most of these steps are automated by Photoshop or scripts. Yes, I'm a computer geek :-)

Jul 14 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Low Tek: 
He backs up an image of the entire drive which changes everytime he adds files to it.

CDs have a lifespan of 5-6 years, depending on the manufacturing factory it was produced at, and can easily be damaged. 

Duh!  That was my point.  The only images that change are the new ones.

And I don't believe your numbers.  CD's can last virtually forever.

Paul

Jul 14 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Paul

Agreed, I still have many of the first CDs I ever bought 16 years ago and they still play like brand new. If you handle and store them properly, CDs will last a LONG time.

Jul 14 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Abel

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Paul

I have cds that I burned, put in a jewel case and stored, never touching them.  Two years later, I've found them to be unreadable.  It varies.  But yes, cds degrage.  Some faster than others.  Why would you trust an unproven media for something so important?  Even hard drives degrade.  Anyone using the same drive for more than two years is pushing their luck.  You need mulitple redundancy for something so important.

Jul 14 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Paul

Come on, guys, why argue when people have done the research already?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020816.html

Jul 14 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Posted by Chris Ambler: 
Come on, guys, why argue when people have done the research already?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020816.html

Umm, can we get the Cliff notes version? smile I couldn;t care less about what people claim, I go by how long MINE last, and I have only had a problem with a few not lasting.

Jul 14 05 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Abel

Dallas, Texas, US

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7751 Here is another study.

I hate the internet.  You can find a 'scientific study' conclusively proving every conceivable position.

If I go off of my own experience, then I don't trust them.  I've had some last many years, and others last months.  CDs are fragile.

Jul 14 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

While I have not yet have had a faulty CD or a messed-up hard drive (now knocking on wood), I've read enough to know that it might happen one day.

So, I back up on two external hard drives. The full ones go to my parents in Holland. I also sometimes burn on CD or DVD, but less so since I got the external hard drives.

In general, I never delete an image without having at least two copies of it. I actually care much more about the personal images (kids, family) than I do about keeping my model shoots/landscapes for posterity.

Thing is, though, my film negatives and slides are a mess.

Jul 14 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

CDs do not last forever nothing does..
Backup almost every day just got finished backing up..
I burn multiple CDs and DVDs of all my work..
Plus back it up to a 120 gig drive
When you pop in a CD and it doesnt work,youll be glad you backed up multiple times..
Same with Hard drives they go bad
New means nuthing there are many defective new items..
Play it Safe And back it up!!

Jul 14 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Paul

Agreed, I still have many of the first CDs I ever bought 16 years ago and they still play like brand new. If you handle and store them properly, CDs will last a LONG time.

You can take the chance if you want, I'm not. I was burning to CD now everything is burned to DVD (2x's) 1 DVD stays with my computer the other is taken off site to be stored. In addition I have a file server and external drives with copies on both. You can trust a single CD all you want to. average life span 5 years.

Jul 14 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Paul

The point is how MANY of those original CDs do you still have..
If you have lost 1 that never can be replaced that is to many!!

Music CDs you can go out and by a new one anytime..
Try going to the store to pick up that shoot you did last year!!
It aint Happinin...

Jul 14 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Abel

Dallas, Texas, US

Can't agree more.  You just can't say this enough.  To most of us, this is our life.  Why would you want to trust something so important to something so fragile.  One scratch and it is gone forever.  At least make multiples and store them in different locations.  Hard drives are highly desireable but still require redundancy.  I've had about 8 in 20 hard drives fail in the first two years.  For your main system, consider a raid, either mirrored or raid-5.

Jul 14 05 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

CDR's are going to be more fragile than music cds.
I have music cds that are over 15 yrs old and they play fine.
But I also have burned cds that did not play after only a few months.
These days I back up everything on dvds.

Robert

Jul 14 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by Low Tek: 

Studies are inconclusive. When studies relating to vital data are inconclusive, it would seem the path of wisdom to assume the worst.

I have *personally* burned CD's, on quality media, with bit-verify on to make sure they were good, and had them be either totally or partially unreadable three years later.

My protocol is as follows:

1) Images off chips directly to hard drive through reader.

2) Raw images burned to CD or DVD for each photo shoot.

3) Work from images on hard drive: in the meantime, take the raw image disc to my office and copy it to another drive I have just for that purpose (it's mine, it's not on our network.)

4) When retouching is complete, burn final images to CD or DVD. Copy to external FireWire drive. Copy final images to off-site backup (see #3.)

There is always an editable copy, a backup on hard disk, and a backup on a write-once optical disc, as well as one off-site copy, for every finished image.

M

Jul 14 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Last winter I lost approx. 80 GB on Image files... Hey who does backups???

Now I store my files on several different harddrives, DVD and even different computers...
People might think I was getting a little paranoid lately, but learning, that some of your pictures now truly are unique makes you become that way...

Jul 14 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Paul

That's nice. I don't believe your asinine comment either.

You obviously don't understand the principles of backing up. You keep backing up on your CDs. When one of them fails to read and you don't have a secondary media as backup, I'd like for you to say the same thing when you realize there is nothing protecting your data except wishes and dreams. Media Degradation is a big problem when it comes to backing up data.

What most people don't realize is that all CDRs and DVDRs are manufactured by the same 7 or 8 companies, most of which are in Asia. Companies like Maxell, Sony, Memorex, Philips, etc. all buy their CD/DVDs from the same factories and just slap their name on them. So if you purchased two different CDr brands, there is a good chance that they came from the same factory. The quality varies on a CDR from generation to generation. A friend of mine who works in the data recovery industry told me that you can often tell if a CDR is of bad quality by looking at the edge of the disc. A bad manufacturing job will often show the clear glue along the edge after the label has been pressed onto it. Better manufacturing jobs will not have it at all. Also, the darker the ink used, the longer the CDr will tend to last. Dark Blue CDRs are considered the best quality.

Jul 14 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I have a process in place where after I burn copies of disks for clients, I also burn a copy for myself, a copy for my secretary to file with the client's info and upload a copy to my online file storage space.

Anal-retentive, yes. Effective, yes.

Only one glitch in the system, my secretary's last day is the 23rd. Her husband is in the Navy and they're moving to San Diego. I'm in deep trouble I think. My organizational skills are legendary, but not in a good way.

Jul 14 05 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I as a human back up my work 3 times or 3 ways as much as possible.  Just this week.

excuse me --

(no Jack,  the mussle stays on...... Yes,  I know you have a funny one but you have been a bad boy.  Sit Jack,  sit.)

Jul 14 05 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

byronpurvis

Los Angeles, California, US

I'll tell you why you back them up over and over. I had data on a CD from about 5 years ago that I tried to read a while back. Guess what! The disc had bubbles in it... that's right BUBBLES! So of course I couldn't get anything off of it. Luckily it wasn't anything I couldn't stand to lose, but it's still unnerving. CDs and DVDs, despite common belief, are NOT archival storage mediums. They have a delicate data layer which can be affected by heat, sunlight, moisture, scratches (the top is more fragile than the bottom!!!), as well as manufacturing defects.

The best way I know of to ensure long term storage is multiple copies on different types of media. I've been using DVD-RAM as a backup solution (not DVD-R or DVD-RW). DVD-RAM drives verify every single pit that is written to the disc on the fly rather than doing the verification step *after* the whole disc is written (a step a lot of people skip). They cost about $4-10 per disc, hold 4.7/9.4 Gigs, and can come in they're own protective case that you never have to take them out of. Since they're designed to be rewritten over 100,000 times, I trust them for my backups. You have to have a special drive, but I found one cheap on eBay for $60.

If you're shooting medium format digital, where single files can range between 50 - 512 megs, the best solution is just buying a new removable hard drive for each job. As long as you're not transporting it or using the drive after the data has been written, theoretically (barring nuclear disaster), a hard drive should last you forever :-)

Jul 16 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

phantomile co.

Los Angeles, California, US

my portfolio itself is backed up on my ipod, and well, i guess i have smaller versions of the pics with watermarks up on my site.

but yeah, im a fucktard for not having backed everything up. i'll do what i can tomorrow.

Jul 16 05 03:31 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Todd Steinwart: 
When was the last time you backed up your work? 

Like never?

Jul 16 05 07:25 am Link