Forums > General Industry > Ever worry about model/photographer stealing your shot idea?

Photographer

- null -

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

- U2

Jul 17 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I had this idea once for a photo of this girl with her top off, and using her boobies like the "00" in "2005" and I was going to use it on a calendar but this other guy did the SAME THING in 2001 before I'd done it. But I'd had the idea on my own. Was I stealing his idea? Or was he stealing mine before I had it? Is this one of those zen things? I still wanted to go kick his ass but I bet he'd have never understood why I was like hitting him.

GWC

Jul 17 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Attention ALL..
PROZAC was MY idea .. don't steal ...

Jul 17 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Peter Dattolo:
I see  no reason for the model to know this much data about the shoot, she just stands where you tell her and pose the way you want.
The photog is the only one that really would need to know all the data like this, its thier shot.

Again, it was a TFP shoot and involved nudity,a nd showed a "scene". I was trying to allow her to visualize what she was going to be part of. I'm not going to meet someone in a dark alley, ask her to strip and then expect her to just pose how I say. She may not have liked the "message" of the shot, after all, and as a TFP, I felt she deserved to know what her name and image was being attached to.

Jul 17 05 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Actually many net models demand to know fine details.   It is what it is.
I understand the logic but unless they are collaborating or I really trust them,  it makes me uncomfortable.

(my experience with the net is limited)

Jul 17 05 11:53 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

flaky people suck rather they be models or photographers.
I don't dicuss My ideas w/ anyone but those I will be working w/.
if it's someone new to Me I give them a genreal run down to see if it's a shoot they would do,and proceed from there.
now on one hand I agree yet disagree w/ what others are saying about ideas being done before and blah blah blah.BUT with that said there is a difference between someone doing something similar and putting their spin on it,as opposed to someone doing exactly what you were gonna do.
just My two cents.
xxx
MP

Jul 18 05 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Mistress Purgatori: 
there is a difference between someone doing something similar and putting their spin on it,as opposed to someone doing exactly what you were gonna do.

That's what I've been getting at.

And for the record, I have been talking with the model via messaging for weeks. The shoot idea started general and I came into the specific idea and continued to add elemenst to it until it got to the point where we were actually going to shoot it. But I've since added another element to it, but the "replacement" model that agreed to do it hasn't returned my message. Doh!

Jul 19 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

trying to have more than one idea helps ease the pain of this all too common problem 

Jul 19 05 04:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

There should be some modicum of respect for the ideas of others.
Combining two ideas at the very least is what I try to do.  I do not ever copy directly intentionally.

Jul 19 05 04:56 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Posted by Belair: 
I don't worry about it.

Given the number of photographs that have been taken in the past 125 years, I'm sure the photographic community has plumb run out of "original" ideas.

I disagree with that statement.  But new things usually come in small steps not giant leeps. 

Jul 19 05 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Don't sweat it, screw her and do it with someone who's professional.

Jul 19 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

jO3Design

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't think it's a question of whether you're stealing someone's ideas, but if you're making someone's ideas better or not.  smile

I recently did a shoot where I posted up an image from it, and an hour later, I got a phone call from a buddy of a photographer here on MM asking me if I stole his idea...

I looked at the other photographer's portfolio, and lo and behold, there was an image there that was posted one night before the day that I shot my model...  from looking at the two pics, I could see why people would get them mixed up as being of the same photog...

Long story short, with the millions of photogs out there, it's hard to be original in your imagery.  Just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean it hasn't been shot before...  lol...

Just find your style and stick with it!  If it looks like someone elses style, just make yours better than theirs!

Jul 19 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I may use someone's work for inspiration. It doesn't have to be a photo. It can be music or literature.

Here is an example of me being influenced by another photographer's work on MM.

Jul 26 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

UnivModels

Long Beach, California, US

An idea is hard to protect, however you might do a test shoot and copyright it, then if you see a commercial application you might try copyright infringement - but it'd be hard to prove, and big bucks

Jul 27 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

CUCabassaou

Springboro, Ohio, US

Nothing to worry about....spend the energy elsewhere...
"just keep shooting...just keep shooting...."

- a now classic quote from the movie "Finding Nemo at Photography School"

Jul 27 05 05:31 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

yes , the thought has crossed my mind many many times,, so I will only share production ideas with the best of the best in terms of professionalism and integrity,,, but that alone can not stop someone from attempting to replicate your idea,,,it happens all too often,,,,, sigh.

Jul 27 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Well, to be safe DON`T discuss detailed complex photoshoots with the models beforehand.......all models need to know is what the shoot entails, (fashion/fetish/art/nude etc.)
The fine details are NOT important really, and unless the model has unlimited resources for clothing, props or lot`s of $$$$  I don`t think it`s necessary that they know all, while as ALMOST everything HAS been done or shot in the past 125 years of photography ANYWAY......
I think EVERY photographer has their OWN vision of what they want a photoshoot to be, it`s at best a SAFEGUARD not to discuss a photoshoot in extreme detail with a model who you have never worked with before, I confide in my
repeat" models who I know and can trust, but to keep some parts of the idea to yourself is always  good SAFEGUARD idea.....

As for photographer`s I think everyone should be MORE creative and live and learn from the masters, if your shoots get crazier and crazier, who CAN copy them?
(I also find it flattering when another photographer tries to copy my style, I`ve only seen one or two people successfully do it, but it`s an honor to have another person inspired by my work, that`s one reason I do this so it "awakens" people smile

https://img.iskon.hr/kl/2004/05/28/0002014v.jpg

Erwin Blumenfeld....now he was creative by hanging this model off the middle part of the EIFFEL TOWER for VOGUE MAGAZINE in 1938 (with no safety lines) Try that nowadays without waiver paperwork.......model`s would have a hissy fit!

Jul 27 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Another photographer can watch what I do, stand behind me, and try to take the same shot, and they still can't steal the shot. It's because great images depend on chemistry - between the model and the photographer. And when a photographer tells me "I could do that", I tell them to do it better.

Jul 28 05 02:18 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

nope. no worries.

I also find ways to reinvent myself.

Jul 28 05 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Once, way back in college, I took a photo that was published on the cover of the college's literary journal. It was a photograph of the ceiling of the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., showing a view of a mobile by Alexander Calder. Shortly thereafter, that same year, another photographer got his version of that shot published on the cover of the student yearbook. And still another photographer had yet another version published in the student newspaper! But none of them really had quite the view I had, because they didn't understand the process I had gone through. See, for my shot, I didn't look through the viewfinder. I just estimated the focus, made the exposure settings, set the camera on the floor of the Gallery, set the self-timer, and just walked away from the camera. Everyone else had tried to get the moving mobile to be "just right", but I had just let the camera catch whatever happened randomly.

Jul 28 05 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Are you kidding!  You can't copyright ideas for very good reason!  No matter who super you think your idea is, no one can copy it exactly.  Think about it. 

I would not waste a minute worrying about it!

Jul 28 05 02:59 am Link

Photographer

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Amen, ideas are not copywritable! Thats it right there, I've studied this and spoke to my attorney, just don't share your ideas.
People are people!

Aug 01 05 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't think I'm ever going to get around to do my shoot. My second model for this particular shoot just flaked on me.  These have been the only 2 ever to falke on me, and it happened for the same shoot idea.  Either my idea reallyu sucks, they like it so much they want it for themselves, or I got a hold of 2 major flakes.

Aug 07 05 12:37 am Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Sleepy Weasel: 
Either my idea reallyu sucks, they like it so much they want it for themselves, or I got a hold of 2 major flakes.

Why don't you tell us what your idea is and we'll tell you if it sucks or if it's worth steal...uh, "liberating"?

GWC!

Aug 07 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by GWC: 

Posted by Sleepy Weasel: 
Either my idea reallyu sucks, they like it so much they want it for themselves, or I got a hold of 2 major flakes.

Why don't you tell us what your idea is and we'll tell you if it sucks or if it's worth steal...uh, "liberating"?

GWC!

Artists don't steal.  Artists don't even liberate.  Artists appropriate.

Aug 07 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

BobinAtlanta

Smyrna, Delaware, US

I guess threads keep posting despite having posted THIS one before.

When I talk about shoots, I'll have run of the mill ideas & great ideas....she only hears the run of the mill, so if she doesn't show, she can't "steal" my GOOD ideas & the one that DOES show, gets to do them ;-)~

Aug 07 05 01:08 am Link