Forums > Photography Talk > Photography's A Pain

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Question for you all - Do any of you find yourself getting injured while shooting?

I was a sports photographer for 12 years, and not once was I ever hurt.  Since getting into model photography full time, I've been to the doctors office several times for pulled muscles in my back.  I could just chalk it up to age, but A) I'm not that old, and B) this has never been an issue until the last 4 years.  Two weekends ago I had a shoot that lasted for most of the day, and today I'm still hurting.

Anyone?

Jul 14 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Ive Injured everything already-Nutin left to injure..

Knocks on Wood!

Chalks it up too age!!

Jul 14 05 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I'm relieved to see it's not just me...

Jul 14 05 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've never been what I call "injured," but I will get into whatever position I need to get into to get the shot, and it's not uncommon for my neck, shoulders and lower back to be fairly stiff the day after a shoot. I call this "Photographer Yoga."

M

Jul 14 05 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

[b]
I was a sports photographer for 12 years, and not once was I ever hurt.  Since getting into model photography full time, I've been to the doctors office several times for pulled muscles in my back.  I could just chalk it up to age, but A) I'm not that old, and B) this has never been an issue until the last 4 years.  Two weekends ago I had a shoot that lasted for most of the day, and today I'm still hurting.

See, what you don't realize is that your body is betraying you.  You might not *feel* or *think* you are old - but you are older and things just don't work the same as they used to. smile

-Rowen

Jul 14 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I probably misspoke as far as "injuries" are concerned.  I'm just noticing that I'm pulling muscles in my back a lot more frequently.  I'm usually good the day after the shoot.  It's that 2nd day that ends up biting me...

See, what you don't realize is that your body is betraying you. You might not *feel* or *think* you are old - but you are older and things just don't work the same as they used to. smile

I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU!!  LALALA

My 37th birthday is this Saturday (the 16th).  I'm definitely pushing 40 now...

Jul 14 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Do you call falling off a ladder or being hit by a car.....well it comes with the job

Jul 14 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Jeffrey Haas: 
I probably misspoke as far as "injuries" are concerned.  I'm just noticing that I'm pulling muscles in my back a lot more frequently.  I'm usually good the day after the shoot.  It's that 2nd day that ends up biting me...

See, what you don't realize is that your body is betraying you. You might not *feel* or *think* you are old - but you are older and things just don't work the same as they used to. smile

I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU!!  LALALA

My 37th birthday is this Saturday (the 16th).  I'm definitely pushing 40 now...

Sounds like you need to take up some contackt sports..
Get that body used to pain!!

Jul 14 05 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I know it was a good shoot when both the model and I are sore and exhausted.  The more it hurts, the better the results...it never fails.

Jul 14 05 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Jeffrey Haas: 
Question for you all - Do any of you find yourself getting injured while shooting?

I was a sports photographer for 12 years, and not once was I ever hurt....

Don't get me wrong, I'm no know-it-all when it comes to sports photography. I do have a solid full time experience with photojournalism shooting troop movements, field exercises, combat training, etc. and I was on the go. With sports photography, don't you guys just "sit" there with your big lenses? That's why you don't get hurt.

Photographing models is a lot like shooting events, you're on the go, in movement, not stationary and sedentary.

The difference between photographing models and photographing troops lies in post-production. In photojournalism, we process our film, print out a contact sheet, write our story and give both to the copy editor who picks out the frame to use for the story. So far, still on our feet, still in movement.

In photography of models, you pretty damn near sit behind a computer for hours applying workflow to images, sorting out the proofs from the web ready versions and packaging it onto a CD for delivery. That's pretty much sedentary.

Your body goes from one extreme to the other with nothing in between to absorb the shock. Do calisthenics and stretches once a day and some good old fashion push-ups and sit-ups. You don't have to go for broke, just enough to give your body a good balance of limber and tight.

Jul 14 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Don't get me wrong, I'm no know-it-all when it comes to sports photography. I do have a solid full time experience with photojournalism shooting troop movements, field exercises, combat training, etc. and I was on the go. With sports photography, don't you guys just "sit" there with your big lenses? That's why you don't get hurt.

Absolutely, Joe.  The only sport I shot was pro-tennis (men and women).  I would go down to the court, sit there (sweating my butt off) and shoot the players, and then off to the press room after the match.  No pain, no...  pain.

Your body goes from one extreme to the other with nothing in between to absorb the shock. Do calisthenics and stretches once a day and some good old fashion push-ups and sit-ups. You don't have to go for broke, just enough to give your body a good balance of limber and tight.

Joe, I think you need to write a workout guide for photographers!  You could sell...  tens of them.  No, you're absolutely right.  I need to spend more time at the gym and less time in front of the computer. I definitely need to keep the muscles loose.  That would be a huge help on the shoots...

Jul 14 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

people ask me if I work out much.  No,  not much I say.  I am a photographer and like to move things from one side of my apartment to the other.

I do not do stair master but do errands on a bike and do ladder master.

Yes,  photography is usually a very physical thing and a head injury basically killed my business for several years.

Jul 14 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I find I am usually very sore and exhausted after shooting mainly from being on my feet for so long and bending over if I am using my tripod for a lot of it. My lower back is always in serious pain when I do a shoot.

Jul 14 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

dorian cole

Washington, District of Columbia, US

i fell thru a stage shooting in an old theater.. wasn't hurt too badly but no more abandoned buildings for me, might not be as fortunate next time!

Jul 14 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Turner

Manassas, Virginia, US

This thread reminds me of a time when I was shooting on some rocks with a model.  The model, fortunately, was also a health care worker.  When I had her posed on a large rock, and was trying to frame her with her surroundings,  I walked off of a ledge and fell about six feet onto some other rocks.  The model climbed off of her rock, and was making her way toward me, asking, "Are you all right? Are you all right?"  She says that she heard this voice coming up from the depths, which said, "It's okay!  The camera's NOT hurt!"  I banged up a hand, a wrist, a knee, and a hip, but I had my priorities straight. 

Jul 14 05 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark-CIMM-Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hey Jeff!
I tend to trip on a lot of studio things as I walk around with the camera up to my face. Also, once in Milwaukee at the lakefront, I slipped down a muddy hillside and bit the dust - snapping a fill-in flash off the hot shoe...expensive fall. I am always entertaining the models with my antics of being somewhat clumbsy!

Jul 15 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

my most recent injury was from this shot

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050705/3/42cb28f27f34e.jpg

my knees got bruised and cut up from kneeling on broken glass, plus i had a few beer bottles thrown at my head, but luckily they missed smile

Jul 16 05 12:49 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Goddog Leslie! Are you for reals?! Wow.

Posted by Lesley Slenning: 

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050705/3/42cb28f27f34e.jpg

my knees got bruised and cut up from kneeling on broken glass, plus i had a few beer bottles thrown at my head, but luckily they missed smile

Jul 16 05 12:54 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Jeffrey Haas: 
...I need to spend more time at the gym and less time in front of the computer. I definitely need to keep the muscles loose.  That would be a huge help on the shoots...

Good luck Jeffrey! Work that body!

Jul 16 05 01:03 am Link

Photographer

- null -

LOL

Awesome. Ward's stuff in the background, huh? Looks like Alice Cooper and Alexi Void on the wall.

Jul 16 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

LOL

Awesome. Ward's stuff in the background, huh? Looks like Alice Cooper and Alexi Void on the wall.

You are correct smile  This was taken at Ward Boults Outlaw 2 show in Las Vegas.  The band "The Sophistofucks" were Ward's special guests.  It was fun!  Ward is a super nice guy and "The Sophistofucks" put on a pretty nutty show.

Jul 16 05 05:08 pm Link