Forums > Photography Talk > Lighting a Dimly lit room

Photographer

WilliamWise Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hello all,

I am wondering if you could assist with any suggestions in regards to this.

I have a shoot in a rather dimly lit yet workable Hotel suite. The Bathroom and Vanity area are well lit but around the bed and the sitting area are quite dim.

I am wondering if it would be better to use strobe or continuous lighting in this situation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

William

Aug 27 09 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Either one will work, depending on what the desired outcome is.

Aug 27 09 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Light is light is light. It doesn't really mater what it comes from. Strbes are generally more comfartable tfor your model, and much more powerful. It takes a lot of hot light power to equal what you get with a strobe. On the other hand, hot lights show you what you are going to get.

Personally, I like strobe, but different stroke . . .

Aug 27 09 06:07 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

the other question is 'what do  you want the room to look like?'

If you just happen to be in a room for the sake of a shoot then nuke away the background with light.  But if it's a room with unique furniture, window treatment or  other architectural interest you have to bring up the ambient.
Or are you trying to capture the effect of 'someone in a dimly lit room' ?

depends on what you want.

Aug 27 09 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Bounce a strobe off the ceiling and change the power to match the background illumination. If you get the distance right it will fill in the shadows nicely. Would be hard to do with continuous light as the power is hard to achieve (although I don't use continuous much so I could be wrong)

Aug 27 09 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
the other question is 'what do  you want the room to look like?'

If you just happen to be in a room for the sake of a shoot then nuke away the background with light.  But if it's a room with unique furniture, window treatment or  other architectural interest you have to bring up the ambient.
Or are you trying to capture the effect of 'someone in a dimly lit room' ?

depends on what you want.

I should mention, sometimes dimly lit rooms are lighted with warm light. Combine this with lights that are close to daylight temperature, and you've made yourself a PP nightmare! I advise using strobes with enough power to completely overpower the ambient lighting, or shoot with the ambient alone. If for some reason I must shoot in a sleeping room, (boudoir is the only thing that comes to mind) I use a conference room. I don't like shooting squeezed into a 13 X 18 room with a whole bunch of furniture. I like room when I shoot.

Aug 27 09 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Daison Drew Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

what time of day you're shooting? do you want to use day light or the lights provided in the room?

Aug 27 09 08:16 am Link

Photographer

WilliamWise Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks everyone for your replies much appreciated and leads me to believe that either would suffice though strobes do sound better for filling.

The shoots will be at different times. First shoot in the morn/aft and second in the aft/early evening (between the hours of 10am and 2pm and 3pm and 6pm).

There is only one big window in the room but alas it does not compliment the bed.

As this is going to be 2 different style shoots I am trying to simply find the best solution for lighting at this time.

1st shoot will be a jacuzzi shoot for the first part (excellent lighting there so no worries) and the second part will be either in the sitting area or bed.

The second shoot is a Boudoir style shoot and will encompass the entire suite.

The wall and ceiling paint of the suite is rather dark hence why I am contimplating continuous over strobe.

Aug 27 09 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Marcus

San Francisco, California, US

WilliamWise Photography wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies much appreciated and leads me to believe that either would suffice though strobes do sound better for filling.

The shoots will be at different times. First shoot in the morn/aft and second in the aft/early evening (between the hours of 10am and 2pm and 3pm and 6pm).

There is only one big window in the room but alas it does not compliment the bed.

As this is going to be 2 different style shoots I am trying to simply find the best solution for lighting at this time.

1st shoot will be a jacuzzi shoot for the first part (excellent lighting there so no worries) and the second part will be either in the sitting area or bed.

The wall and ceiling paint of the suite is rather dark hence why I am contimplating continuous over strobe.

wow that's quite a shoot! Lots of different lighting situations you have. The most I've ever used is a single strobe in hotel room style shoots. Either that or a fast prime lens like 50mm or 35mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 for some ambient light shots using light from the windows during the day. Also consider using candle lights in the setting somewhere?

Aug 27 09 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

If you are wanting to light the room evenly, you will need more power to bounce off of the walls.  I would use shoot through umbrellas in this situation.  And of course the color of the walls will affect your color balance.

Aug 27 09 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Cre8tivNickname

Winchester, Virginia, US

Why not try shooting with available light, or even candlelight?   With the model in a relaxed pose on the bed or chair, long exposures should provide a pleasing result.   IMHO a little softness is a desirable characteristic in boudoir work.

You'll likely have color balance issues either way unless you control spill.  It doesn't matter what temperature your light source is if something modifies it before it hits the subject.

Aug 27 09 11:35 am Link