Forums > Model Colloquy > Ladys stop with the skinny thighs

Photographer

Westdahl Studio

COEUR D ALENE, Idaho, US

Steven Aiello wrote:
This is no joke, all though I do find it funny...

Tonight on my (Michigan) local channel 7 news they did a story on thigh to heart health ratios.

Apparently if you measure LESS then 23.8 inches around at your thigh you have an elevated heart failure risk.

If you measure LESS then 18 inches around, your hearth failure risk sky rockets.

I was never really into the skinny ladies, guess science backs the guys who likes those athletic girls = )

I'll try and catch the rest of the report and update lol.

Peace and eat a cheese burger,
Steven

More data please. The research appears to make assumptions rather than conclusions.

Sep 05 09 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Westdahl Studio

COEUR D ALENE, Idaho, US

Victoria Julison wrote:
curious as to how they came to this conclusion...

The conclusion comes from people who continue to advocate that fat people are as happy, as healthy, and as beautiful as people who live a healthy lifestyle. It is easy to lie to ones self.

Sep 05 09 08:09 am Link

Photographer

saiello

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Actually if you ladies/guy are really interested in this we were talking in my health class about how your body processes fats/carbs depending on when you eat them.  This is from memory so don't take this is scripture, but if I do remember correctly there's something in the body that if you eat past (about) 7 to 8pm it's slightly different for each person the body will store the fat in the lower reigns of the body. 

This could be 100% BS but heck I know know I carry my body fat almost exclusively in lower abdomen, my legs arms have always been rock solid, and I would do pretty much any rational thing to get rid of my spare tire lol.  Maybe it works.  *shrug*

Steve

Sep 05 09 08:10 am Link

Photographer

saiello

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Loki Studios wrote:
More data please. The research appears to make assumptions rather than conclusions.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/20 … 52314.aspx

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/174 … e=r_health

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8236384.stm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090904/od_ … t_thighs_1

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … Srp1PxzXHY

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/new … TF-8&x=wrt

There you go, if you want more google it.  There are several other links provided through out the posts.

Sep 05 09 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Digitoxin wrote:
Not according to the study.  They, supposedly, found that smoking was not a contributing factor to their analysis. Read the study.  It is as interesting as it is comical.

Through Garys Eyes wrote:
That's actually NOT what the study said.  For all the people who keep saying that correlation doesn't equal causation, let's look at what they did in the study (I'm going to paraphrase to simplify):

For analysis purposes, they put the participants into multiple groups and looked at the results within each group.  Here are some of the groups they divided the participants into:

- smokers
- non-smokers
- people with diabetes
- people without diabetes
- obese people
- thin people
- people with family history of heart disease
- people without family history of heart disease
- and many more groups in a similar vein

What they found was that within each group, the ones who developed heart disease and/or died were the ones with the thin thighs.

In other words, no matter what OTHER factors are present - whether you are a smoker, have diabetes, have a family history of heart disease, etc. - you are at a higher risk for heart disease and death if you have thin thighs (they didn't say that smoking was not a factor in getting heart disease or dying, they said that whether you smoked or not - having thin thighs increased your risk).

AND they discuss that what they are talking about is thick, muscular thighs (like someone who walks for 30 minutes every day) versus thin, non-muscular thighs (like someone who just sits around and watches TV every day and never uses his legs).

It appears to me that the biggest problem with the study is how the media has reported it (it was just published on Thursday).  In their rush to produce something sensational - they have been guilty of some sloppy reporting (IMO).  If you read the abstract, it is not quite as cut and dry as the media is reporting it.

Thank you for restating what I said.  I added the bold this time.  Mine is one sentence.  Yours is several paragraphs.  It says the same thing.

Sep 05 09 11:23 am Link

Model

VasilisaK

London, England, United Kingdom

That's just plain stupid. My thighs are 18'' (I just measured them for the first time in my life). I don't diet, I exercise regularly - they are just the size that my thighs are meant to be.

Sep 05 09 11:26 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

VasilisaK wrote:
That's just plain stupid. My thighs are 18'' (I just measured them for the first time in my life). I don't diet, I exercise regularly - they are just the size that my thighs are meant to be.

That doesn't mean you are less at risk! This study isn't saying hey people go get fatter in the slightest, it is saying people with bigger thighs (up to a point) are less likely to get heart disease.

Just to re-iterate, this study is NOT saying....

Fatter people are healthier

Skinny people are unhealthy

People with bigger thighs are more sexually attractive to men

Everyone should put on weight to get bigger thighs and therefore reduce their risk of heart disease

Its a scientific study not some personal insult to models or fatty propaganda.

Sep 05 09 11:44 am Link

Model

VasilisaK

JadeDRed wrote:
That doesn't mean you are less at risk! This study isn't saying hey people go get fatter in the slightest, it is saying people with bigger thighs (up to a point) are less likely to get heart disease.

Just to re-iterate, this study is NOT saying....

Fatter people are healthier

Skinny people are unhealthy

People with bigger thighs are more sexually attractive to men

Everyone should put on weight to get bigger thighs and therefore reduce their risk of heart disease

Its a scientific study not some personal insult to models or fatty propaganda.

I wasn't saying it is, I just pointed out that as far as scientific studies go, it's stupid.

While the risk rose for people with thighs smaller than the average of 60 centimeters (23.6 inches) in circumference, those with larger limbs didn’t get additional protection, the study found.

from bloomberg.com

So...it increases your risk but you don't get more protection when you have bigger thighs?

It was also surveyed on middle aged people, which doesn't reallly apply to most fashion models, or models in general.

They also haven't found why the risk is higher and make a few stabs in the dark. I usually expect scientific studies to have firmer conclusions and some sort of explanation of causality, not to end with 'maybe this, maybe that'.

Sep 05 09 11:55 am Link

Model

Dana LL

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

17.4".. (just because I was curious)

Should I write my will now?

Sep 05 09 02:49 pm Link

Model

ElisAbEtH

Charleston, West Virginia, US

I myself find bigger girls beautiful and I'm married to a Big guy and I think he's gorgeous!
My thighs are probably bigger then they recommend but I'm healthy, minus me smoking wink

Sep 05 09 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This sounds like crap to me. Of course the origin of this "test" is from one of America's statistically fattest of states (Michigan)
http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/02/f … ates-2008/

Top 10 to be exact.

Sep 05 09 04:45 pm Link

Model

Beccalette Synthetic

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

Mine are 19" :S

Sep 05 09 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Then I'm going to live forever. 

And Ever.

And Ever.

lol

Mine are bigger than most of the waists of the models who posted in here!!!!

Sep 05 09 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I don't believe everything I see on the TV news!!      big_smile

Sep 05 09 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Steven Aiello wrote:
Apparently if you measure LESS then 23.8 inches around at your thigh you have an elevated heart failure risk.

If you measure LESS then 18 inches around, your hearth failure risk sky rockets.

Peace and eat a cheese burger,
Steven

Really?  Without regard to height?  That seems odd...

What is the maximum measurement to be ''healthy''?

Opinion:  Don't eat that cheeseburger.

Sep 05 09 09:52 pm Link

Model

Shannon Reicks

Valdosta, Georgia, US

It's not about skinny or fat...its about your BMI(body mass index) everyone should be within the weight limits for their height. It is good for people to exercise with cardio and with some sort of resistance such as weights. everyone is built different so there is not anything about a certain width of your hips or legs its about your overall health. If you are 5'6 and 90 lbs your not in the right range however if you are say 5'6 and between 115-130 you are good. If one has a good nutrition, exercises atleast 3 days a week with cardio and weights then they are healthy.

Sep 06 09 06:38 am Link

Model

Corkii_B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Shannon Reicks wrote:
It's not about skinny or fat...its about your BMI(body mass index) everyone should be within the weight limits for their height. It is good for people to exercise with cardio and with some sort of resistance such as weights. everyone is built different so there is not anything about a certain width of your hips or legs its about your overall health. If you are 5'6 and 90 lbs your not in the right range however if you are say 5'6 and between 115-130 you are good. If one has a good nutrition, exercises atleast 3 days a week with cardio and weights then they are healthy.

BMI is a pseudo-science and does not take into account what your body mass is actually composed of - it is suited only as a very broad brush.

What is more concrete is body fat percentage, muscle mass and dietary intake. Get blood tests done to see if you're deficient in anything rather than whipping out the tape measure and/or calculator and jumping to conclusions.

Sep 06 09 06:41 am Link

Model

avee

Scarsdale, New York, US

Isn't there some type of height/thigh ratio to this 'research?'

Sep 06 09 06:57 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

I learned that people who carry the majority of their weight in their abdomin have a greater risk for heart diseases.

Which would make the "smaller" thigh theory seem legit.

However, if someone has a 16" thigh and a slim torso to match, I don't see how in the world they could possibly be at a greater risk than someone who's body is similarly proportioned, yet 4 inches bigger.

Sep 06 09 07:50 am Link

Model

Corkii_B

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Vogue_Junkie wrote:
I learned that people who carry the majority of their weight in their abdomin have a greater risk for heart diseases.

Which would make the "smaller" thigh theory seem legit.

However, if someone has a 16" thigh and a slim torso to match, I don't see how in the world they could possibly be at a greater risk than someone who's body is similarly proportioned, yet 4 inches bigger.

Yup, the "apple" body type has been linked with increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nu … betes-risk

Type 2 diabetes, particularly when brought on by obesity, greatly increases your risk of other health issues such as cardiac and circulatory problems.

I'll take my less-than-23.8" thighs kthnxbai.

Sep 06 09 08:09 am Link

Model

Ossuary

San Francisco, California, US

I'm calling bullshit on this one. I walk everywhere. Fucking everywhere. And I eat wicked fucking healthy. And my thighs are barely 18" around. My waist is 24". And last time they checked my blood pressure, it was just fine. smile

Sep 06 09 11:47 am Link

Photographer

saiello

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

wow I'm amazed how little people know here about actual health and nutrition

o_0

Sep 06 09 11:56 am Link

Clothing Designer

Eclectic Visions

El Paso, Texas, US

hmm didn't even bother to read all the pages, but this sounds ridic

Sep 06 09 12:07 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Eclectic Visions

El Paso, Texas, US

Ossuary wrote:
I'm calling bullshit on this one. I walk everywhere. Fucking everywhere. And I eat wicked fucking healthy. And my thighs are barely 18" around. My waist is 24". And last time they checked my blood pressure, it was just fine. smile

well if thats on one side of the spectrum then I must be extremely obese with sleep apnea neutral

Sep 06 09 12:08 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Model Instincts wrote:
Do you have a link to this?  I was under the impression that naturally skinny people are healthier.

If you are talking about anorexia or bulemia, then yes, their heart will stop beating from prolonged abuse.

I'm not buying this.

not necessarily
you can be skinny naturally and unhealthy. you can be a reasonable weight but if you don't have muscle you are still considered unhealthy. I was watching a pbs special about it. People of healthy weight but were still unhealthy because they little to no muscles

Sep 06 09 01:04 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Karl Johnston wrote:
This sounds like crap to me. Of course the origin of this "test" is from one of America's statistically fattest of states (Michigan)
http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/02/f … ates-2008/

Top 10 to be exact.

that in and of itself has no bearing on the study itself

Sep 06 09 01:06 pm Link

Model

Ossuary

San Francisco, California, US

Elegy Ink wrote:
well if thats on one side of the spectrum then I must be extremely obese with sleep apnea neutral

I wouldn't know, I don't speak for anyone but myself. What is healthy for me is not healthy for everyone. I know that I'm leading a lifestyle that's healthy for my body. It's not my job to tell anyone else what is healthy for them, or how they should look as a result of that.

Sep 06 09 01:30 pm Link

Model

Nichole Hopkins

Los Angeles, California, US

i once knew a girl who had theighs the same width as her arms, give or take a few inches.....

gross..

Sep 06 09 02:11 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

My thighs are generous, considering the rest of my body proportions, but they still only measure 21 inches around. The only time I was able to get them up to 23 was when I was doing INTENSE weight training, and eating like 3000 calories a day... Um, yeah... some people just aren't built that way...

My waist fluctuates between 24 and 25, so if I had 23-inch thighs and a 24 inch waist, it would probably look really bizarre. No thanks.

Sep 06 09 05:34 pm Link