Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How do you fake hairy armpits ?

Photographer

PhilippeBourgoin

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hi guys,

I admit it's a rather peculiar question but I have this beautiful female Asian model with practically no hair at all (pubic & armpits) and I just got to have a picture of her WITH hairy armpits;)

Any advice ? Any link to an online make-up shop ?

Thank you for your attention,

Cheers,

Philippe.

Sep 08 09 05:28 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

Is she ok with that???

Anyhow, I would pull it in from another shot if you have one.

Sep 08 09 05:31 am Link

Model

Site Down

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, US

lol..do you only want a pic of her with hairy armpits only bc she doesn't have them?

Sep 08 09 05:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

A makeup artist could hand lay hair, but it's a tricky skill that takes a lot of practice, so naturally I recommend hiring a makeup artist skilled in sfx and character work.  Also, I wouldn't recommend it for the pubic area as the adhesive can be irritating on sensitive skin.

I know there are "toupe" type wigs for the pubic area but I forget what they're called.

Sep 08 09 05:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kristen S Makeup

Plymouth, Massachusetts, US

Cynthia ORourke wrote:
A makeup artist could hand lay hair, but it's a tricky skill that takes a lot of practice, so naturally I recommend hiring a makeup artist skilled in sfx and character work.  Also, I wouldn't recommend it for the pubic area as the adhesive can be irritating on sensitive skin.

I know there are "toupe" type wigs for the pubic area but I forget what they're called.

Merkins.

Sep 08 09 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Roy Lett

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Long ago (before hair extensions were the norm) theatrical supply places sold a woven unit of hair(pig tail) and spirit gum(to paint on/attach). I don't know how the spirit gum would be on the underarms- would it sting, etc.,.? I remember cleaning off fake mustaches as a bit messy (having not done this procedure in a few years).
Anyway with fake hair sold everywhere, I'm sure beauty supply places probably have a more current favorite temporary adhesive. Good Luck-I'm sure there will be those in the know here shortly.

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hire KariMarie.........hers are real and abundant:)

They do make fake pubic hair enhancements, maybe the same is available for armpits?

As a big fan of natural body hair, which most models currently seem not to want any of, I can totally understand your point.

Model

Steph Clare

Argyle, Florida, US

why can't she just grow it for the shoot?

Sep 08 09 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Just "paint" them in with a one pixel brush, on a separate layer, in Photo Shop, using a Wacom tablet. The "paintbrush" will have to be set to pressure sensitivity for opacity. I have done it many times, when the model had shaved her pubic hairs. to get highlights, you can "paint" them in, using a much lighter color in some of the hairs that would catch the light direction in your actual image. "Erase" where necessary. When it looks great, merge the layer down. Voila !
-Don
P.S. I just noticed the OP is in France, there must be a joke in there somewhere !

Sep 08 09 05:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia ORourke

New York, New York, US

Kristen Strassel wrote:

Merkins.

That's it!

Sep 08 09 05:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

E E S

Los Angeles, California, US

They also make chest "merkins". Pubic merkins tend to be really dense and curly (used them all the time on "Tell Me You Love Me"). Asians tend to have more straight pubic hair, so the chest piece would be a better choice. If you're concerned about using spirit gum in a sensitive area, attach it in the outer perimeter in 4 points (at the ends of an imaginary cross) with  Topstick or silicone toupee tape. Silicone tape might be the better choice, it is more matte looking than the Topstick.

Chest pieces-you can cut it down to whatever size + shape you want- usually armpit hair is more diamond shaped, while pubic hair is more of a triangle:
http://www.garlandbty.com/moustaches2.htm (scroll down)

Toupee tape (they do make smaller sizes, like 5 yards):
http://frendsbeautysupply.com/toupetape36yards.aspx

Frends will also carry chest pieces, but I wanted to show you what they look like...you can order them in any color as well.

Sep 08 09 07:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aeni

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I've been asked to hand lay a merkin for a male.  Sadly there was a schedule conflict.  But yep - MERKIN or use another model.

Sep 08 09 10:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Aeni wrote:
I've been asked to hand lay a merkin for a male.  Sadly there was a schedule conflict.  But yep - MERKIN or use another model.

oh Aeni thats too bad... I'm sure you would have done  a wonderful job...

Sep 08 09 10:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Aeni

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

oh Aeni thats too bad... I'm sure you would have done  a wonderful job...

Lol - yes that would've made an excellent addition to my book. Funny thing was it was an asian male who lasered his all down to a strip.  But armpits?  I want to tackle that.

Sep 08 09 10:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cosmetic Couture

Riverside, California, US

Fake armpit hair is totally doable as others have stated... it reminds me of this commercial.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT89qfDx3yM

Sep 08 09 11:11 am Link