Forums > General Industry > Quick Question

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

I am 18. My mother on the other hand thinks that she still has legal baring on model releases and such. I know you guys are full of links to tons of info. Help me out here please?

Jul 15 05 07:05 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Nika: 
I am 18. My mother on the other hand thinks that she still has legal baring on model releases and such. I know you guys are full of links to tons of info. Help me out here please?

"Legal baring?"

Legally, nationwide, once a person attains the age of 18,
he/she is no longer a minor. Your parent(s) are no longer legally
or financially accountable or responsible for you. And from age 18,
YOU not your parent(s) will be required to sign any and all contracts or releases.

Mollie

Jul 15 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

From a well-known website featuring nude models:
Please make sure your local laws allow you to pose nude before applying. Usually you must be 18 years of age or older to apply. If you are in Alabama you must be 19 or older. If you are in Mississippi, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, or Puerto Rico you must be 21 or older.

Jul 15 05 07:27 pm Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

Nothing nude at all. Not even close.  But any links to sources that will shut her up? smile

Jul 15 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Jul 15 05 07:35 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

ANY casting or release form, or even doctor's forms, or letter of consnt, has a clause that either says that you must be "18 or older" or "anyone under the age of 18 must have a guardian's approval" etc... they all mean, in other words, that once you're 18 you're off to make your choices. 

Your parents have the ethical right to care and worry about a daughter they love.  It's also a part of maturity to be thankful of the love they have for you and let them do alittle nagging.  Show them that you are capable and legally allowed to  make your own choices, but do listen to what your parents have to say, and thank them for caring about you ; )

Jul 15 05 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I asked an agency head about the legality of having a 18 year old sign for images (sweet stuff) taken before she was 18.   

He told me that I did not even need the parents signature any more once she passed 18.

Make her watch Dr.Phil or something.

Jul 15 05 07:38 pm Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

Posted by Sascha: 
ANY casting or release form, or even doctor's forms, or letter of consnt, has a clause that either says that you must be "18 or older" or "anyone under the age of 18 must have a guardian's approval" etc... they all mean, in other words, that once you're 18 you're off to make your choices. 

Your parents have the ethical right to care and worry about a daughter they love.  It's also a part of maturity to be thankful of the love they have for you and let them do alittle nagging.  Show them that you are capable and legally allowed to  make your own choices, but do listen to what your parents have to say, and thank them for caring about you ; )

hehe I know she does, thank you. Im fresh out of the Ukraine lol so theres a lot of adjusting to whats legal and whats not thats goign on with my mom. She is so persistant on saying I am wrong that makes it a little bit hard to be thankful for the concern. 
But either way, thank yoou guys. Got some great feedback.

Jul 15 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Nika: 
Nothing nude at all. Not even close.  But any links to sources that will shut her up? smile

Hi Nika. Don't take my response personal alright, because it's only based on one assumption - that you still live at home with the Muddah and the Dadda. If that's the case, whether they are wrong, or right, it's you who will eventually have to shut up, or move out. You can't argue with the Lions inside of their own den.

Hopefully though, your parents are cool and smart enough and strong enough?...to have humility with their children when the situation warrants it.

Good luck

Jul 15 05 07:47 pm Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

yup, in the den. Hopefully soon, not yet tho smile

Jul 15 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

You and your mom ( I'm sure she's as pretty as you are .. ) are legally allowed and welcome to pose for me ...

Jul 15 05 08:35 pm Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

hehehe  well if I ever make my way to new york , i will let you know smile

Jul 15 05 08:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

as a mom I can tell you at 18 you have to give them the pink slip to their lives.  If they are still living at home or getting support, I call the shots....the one paying the bills always calls the shots....

My advice would be if you really want to call the shots in your life you need to live it on your own without support.

Jul 15 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Mary: 
as a mom I can tell you at 18 you have to give them the pink slip to their lives.  If they are still living at home or getting support, I call the shots....the one paying the bills always calls the shots....

My advice would be if you really want to call the shots in your life you need to live it on your own without support.

Roger that Mary. That's why I left home for the military at 17. No Judge ordered me. I wanted to be my own man.  ...and ended up being owned by Uncle Sam instead. *grin*  That's cool. He's a damn good Uncle in my book! big_smile

Damn. I just remembered. I was already in college at 16.

Jul 15 05 09:23 pm Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

I know this doesnt make it sound like I am close with my family but they have one concern with me and it is something they want to help out with, my music. I am an only child, so my parents are still just concerned with me, because well I am their only kid. And no matter what you say/do/act/want  it isnt a practice in our culture to leave at 18 or just because you want to be on your own. Nothing magical happens when you are 18 to make you an adult, but ive made an actual career choice at a young age so they are worried and want me to stay on track.  I wasnt asking for reference to say "hey ma, its just me, i can do whatever the hell i want". I am going on an interview for a state pageant where I have to sign some papers and all that good stuff, she cant make it with me so she was for the most part concerned that I could legally sign everything and until I proved it to her, she wasnt ok with me going. I didnt take any of the remarks personally but it is just interesting to see how in America just because you want to lead your own life it means paying your own bills. Kind of like a business transaction, seems a little harsh to me.

Jul 15 05 11:21 pm Link