Forums > Photography Talk > lighting Q

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

anyone have experience with the white lighting vagabond battery pack systems?  I'm looking around for a portable system on the cheap- the profoto's are out, the elinchroms are also still a little steep...

thoughts?

Jul 15 05 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have said this in many posts. I have three 30 year old Norman 200Bs (one converted to 400) that operate with efficiency. These old Normans now use third or fourth generation Ni Cads. Norman makes newer versions but the old ones can be found on ebay. The best thing about Normans is that they are made in the good old USA.

Jul 15 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I believe the white lightings are made here as well- personally, I'd put my money on the swiss (elinchrom) if I could afford it.  Thanks for bringing Norman up though- I'll look into it!

Jul 15 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Posted by alexwh: 
I have said this in many posts. I have three 30 year old Norman 200Bs (one converted to 400) that operate with efficiency. These old Normans now use third or fourth generation Ni Cads. Norman makes newer versions but the old ones can be found on ebay. The best thing about Normans is that they are made in the good old USA.

No offense, Alex, but I think you're the first Canadian (or at least person in Canada) that I've heard being positive about things from south of the border...

Jul 16 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

I've been using the Alien Bee Vagabond 300 (made by the same people) for about 2 years (since it was released.)

Its a nice unit, not too heavy.  Has a strap to sling it over your shoulder for a comfortable carry.  The longest shoot I've used it for was about 3 hours and it lasted the full shoot (with one AB 1600 strobe.)

It does have a 14" brass grounding rod that you are to pound into the ground and connect to the Vagabond as shock protection.

It comes with a trickle charger.  You really have to keep it plugged in and charging all the time.  If you don't keep it charged and the battery drains over months of non-use, the batteries can discharge to a point that they won't take a charge and must be replaced (a replacement battery was around $35 and that was over a year ago.)

Other than that, I've had positive experiences with the Vagabond.

Hope this helps,
John

Jul 16 05 08:15 am Link

Photographer

alfred spada

Chicago, Illinois, US

Calument travel are great

Jul 16 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

Have you looked at the Photogenic Power Light Line. Great monolights that pack some nice power and have great accessories. Might be in your price range. And you can find some good deals used at B&H Camera in NYC (www.bhphotovideo.com).

Michael

Jul 20 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Jul 20 05 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Barone Studio: 
And you can find some good deals used at B&H Camera in NYC (www.bhphotovideo.com).

And on eBay.  I have five Powerlights.  Bought three of them off eBay, two new from B&H.

Paul

Jul 20 05 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Robert Bowling

Wesley Chapel, Florida, US

Photogenic also have the StudioMax line, they are lower power (320WS) but you can run one off a Quantum Turbo battery. I have a pair of Aline Bee's myself but haven't bought the Vagabond, it just looked too clunky to me. I Like the StudioMax's and Turbos, much more portable.

my 1.02 (inflation you see...)

Jul 23 05 02:07 am Link