Forums > Photography Talk > 800 Speed Film???

Photographer

xeena08

Thief River Falls, Minnesota, US

I'm pretty new at working with the camera. I have always worked in the darkroom. Anyway, I was out at the fair last night and wanted to take some picture of some rides. I decided to buy 800 speed film and went out there to take about 25 pictures. I was pretty much dissapointed when I received them back today. The pictures looked like they had too much grain and they just looked aweful!! What could I have done so I had more of a professional picture???

Jul 15 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

You could have used slower film and a tripod.  Here's a link to available light settings for different environments.

http://geocities.com/evandro/available.htm

Paul

Jul 15 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Abel

Dallas, Texas, US

Would help if you mentioned the exact film you use.  Generally speaking, when you get into the higher speed films, grain is going to be an issue.

Jul 15 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Hello
I use film at 5000 ISO all the time (yes five thousand) I have found that if my exposures are UNDER exposed the grain becomes extremely strong and makes for a flatter image. Maybe giving more exposure time would have helped. I use Fuji NPZ and Superia. You can see my live band work and night photography on my site-if you have any questions feel free to conatct me.
David

Jul 15 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

If you are using any ISO film larger than 100 speed you are going to get some grain. The 800 film speed was made to use for fast action or sports shots although you can use the 800 film with out flash you will get lots of grain and the color is more dense. Try using a tripod like some in here mentioned and to with the 200 film Fugi makes a good 200 speed film you have to remember that any time you use a shutter speed not film speed but shutter speed smaller than 60 you will get some blur effect you might get away with it on the 40 shutter but that's takeing to far. Take care and who knows you might use those pics as artistic shots. Scan themn on photoshop and get busy take care and enjoy makeing and learing about your mistakes. Bravo Magic Image.

Jul 16 05 12:00 am Link

Photographer

xeena08

Posted by Steven Abel: 
Would help if you mentioned the exact film you use.  Generally speaking, when you get into the higher speed films, grain is going to be an issue.

Sorry, I used Fuji film.

Thank you Paul for the info. I guess I didn't really think about the Tripod!! So 400 ISO would be good to use???

Jul 16 05 12:00 am Link

Photographer

xeena08

Posted by David (6of7): 
Hello
I use film at 5000 ISO all the time (yes five thousand) I have found that if my exposures are UNDER exposed the grain becomes extremely strong and makes for a flatter image. Maybe giving more exposure time would have helped. I use Fuji NPZ and Superia. You can see my live band work and night photography on my site-if you have any questions feel free to conatct me.
David

I didn't really see much of grain on your B/W picture!! Mine just looked aweful!!

Jul 16 05 12:01 am Link

Photographer

xeena08

Posted by MagicImagePhoto: 
If you are using any ISO film larger than 100 speed you are going to get some grain. The 800 film speed was made to use for fast action or sports shots although you can use the 800 film with out flash you will get lots of grain and the color is more dense. Try using a tripod like some in here mentioned and to with the 200 film Fugi makes a good 200 speed film you have to remember that any time you use a shutter speed not film speed but shutter speed smaller than 60 you will get some blur effect you might get away with it on the 40 shutter but that's takeing to far. Take care and who knows you might use those pics as artistic shots. Scan themn on photoshop and get busy take care and enjoy makeing and learing about your mistakes. Bravo Magic Image.

I used my flash yesterday too and somehow that didn't work either. Does 200 ISO work tho at night time??? Or do I use a tripod and a flash??

Jul 16 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Try Kodak Portra 800. I like it. You still have an issue with grain, but have to expect that. You can also use a good 200 speed or even Kodak Portra 160NC and push it to 800. More contrasty but less grain.

Jul 16 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

xeena08

Thanks for the replies. I'll sure try it!!

Jul 16 05 12:19 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I am sure you were using Negative film.   This works differently when developed than slide film.  You can actually change ISO for each shot depending on the need for a contact sheet and look that you want.

Negative film has  a latitude of a couple of stops each way,  over exposed or under exposed.

First -- most people under expose night photography in general.

Negative film reacts to underexposure by adding grain. (more technical but that is the end result.)

Second.  basically put you can use 800 film and expose it as 400 or 250 or 600 and decrease the grain.  Do not go too far but overexposure with negative film is better that under exposure.

you can increase the grain of film by using a higher ISO such as with the 800 film,  1200,  1600.  2000.  each will increase the grain and lower the contrast.

The 3200 T max B&W film most people think is really a 1000 speed film that is made to be pushed processed. 

push processing is another option when shooting at night.  This will allow you to keep the film speed but not lose the exposure.  You will have to read up on this for I do not have time to teach photography tonight.

This answer and those given should help you along the way.  Welcome to MM.   If you keep progressing at the rate you have been you will be making me look bad soon.

(be quiet peanut gallery)

Jul 16 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

xeena08

Thanks Mark!! BTW, my apologies for being a little stinkerd tonight!!

Jul 16 05 12:36 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by xeena08: 
Thanks Mark!! BTW, my apologies for being a little stinkerd tonight!!

Mai pen rai,  thai for don't worry be happy,

Much love for you and your daughter.

Jul 16 05 09:37 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Buy 1600 and shoot it at 800 iso.  If, as a new photographer, you want a confidence booster.  By some ilford or kodak 3200 B/W.  My avatar image was shot at night in Atlanta with nothing but available light.  3200 is fun.  All you need is a camera and a subject and a street light!

Jul 16 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

fascinating!

Jul 16 05 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by David (6of7): 
Hello
David

What film are you exposing at this speed? Do you have any examples you could show please.

Jul 16 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Hi William
I will work on posting some images with detailed descriptions of developers and all- I'll let you know when they're up.
David

Jul 16 05 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Hello all
I posted 2 images so far with some descriptions to try and help out. The grain seen may look clumpy but that is due to the extreme compression - I have scanned them for very high image quality and have had exhibits with the live band work. The grain is tight and the acutance high. I use DDX exclusively. Do feel free to email me if any specific or general questions come up. I will post more later.
Cheers

Jul 16 05 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by David (6of7): 
Hello all
I posted 2 images so far with some descriptions to try and help out. The grain seen may look clumpy but that is due to the extreme compression - I have scanned them for very high image quality and have had exhibits with the live band work. The grain is tight and the acutance high. I use DDX exclusively. Do feel free to email me if any specific or general questions come up. I will post more later.
Cheers

Thanks for sharing. I am sure everyone else will benefit from looking at these. I like the photos alot.  What kind of shutter speeds and apetures were you able to use while shooting?

Jul 16 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

come look at my outdated 100 spead film... it's got major grain issues

Jul 16 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

Sorry, I used Fuji film.

Thank you Paul for the info. I guess I didn't really think about the Tripod!! So 400 ISO would be good to use???

400 and 800 get about the same grain if you use Pro grade films... 800 becomes 400 when used with a flash... with a flash you can shoot any iso if you're exposure is set properly... If you're really worried about grain shell out the money for Positive/Reversal/SLIDE Film and shoot 1600 at 20 bucks a pop for film and then add processing to it... Slide film is pretty much the only way not to get grain...

Jul 16 05 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Hi William (and all following this part)
I will work on getting more detail on the images- if I can I will let you know here.
The images I take are based on a most likely crazy sounding philosophy--- I use a Leica M6 and I have a Nikon f1.4 50mm lens on my F4. I believe (mind you it's only my belief) that the designers for these lenses peaked their performance af f2 or 1.4 etc.
I can assure you I have shot 98% at wide open apertures. I do use 35mm, 50mm and 24mm lenses. The shutter speeds vary as you can imaging but over the many years of shooting I would say my average with the 5000ISO is 1/30th. I have shot as high as 1/250 and 1/500 during a Depeche Mode concert at Madison Square Garden- I was stunned to see so much light lol
Grain on the color films to me is not a factor at all- it doesn't take away from the shots. Mind you once again- underexposure leads to more grain. Although there is leeway your best bet is to set your camera for 1/3 to 2/3rd over exposure and develop naturally. Meters have a way of screwing things up and we have to take control of the exposures as we know best.

Jul 16 05 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Posted by xeena08: 
I'm pretty new at working with the camera. I have always worked in the darkroom. Anyway, I was out at the fair last night and wanted to take some picture of some rides. I decided to buy 800 speed film and went out there to take about 25 pictures. I was pretty much dissapointed when I received them back today. The pictures looked like they had too much grain and they just looked aweful!! What could I have done so I had more of a professional picture???

Since you have darkroom experience, and could process your film at home,  I think you would do well to move up to a 120 film camera, with a 2.8 lens, like a old graphic XL with an 80mm or 100 mm planar lens.

I shoot pentax 6x7, but keep an XL to shoot in low light at night, using  800 to 3200 asa  film.  The larger negative gives much  better grain size that shooting 35mm.  With 100 asa film my average night exposure is 30 seconds at 5.6 or 11. With 3200 asa, the exposure is real short

Jul 17 05 12:17 am Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by Ian Powell: 

Jul 17 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by Ian Powell: 

Switch films or switch the people who process it. Try something different.

The brand with the K in it seems to yield the better results. I have been disappointed with the F brand except for it's 50 speed slide film. Unfortunately I have alot of the F and if I could trade it for half as much K I would do it.

I bet though if we all posted our preferences for film  the answers would vary alot. My list would not have alot of F brand on it.

Jul 17 05 09:56 am Link