Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Plus size nude beauties

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Sabrina Maree wrote:
Ugh, regardless of what "fashion" says, it makes me a little sick to see any of those women be called plus size. They all look fabulous to me.

But there's an assumption there that larger women don't look fabulous.  They do.

And I'm not talking about overweight or obese.

Oct 02 09 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

Sabrina Maree wrote:
Ugh, regardless of what "fashion" says, it makes me a little sick to see any of those women be called plus size. They all look fabulous to me.

hmm so... what is wrong with the label plus size?

Oct 02 09 03:03 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

*sigh*

Is it really hard to understand that industry "plus-size" does not mean real world "plus-size". And, calling these women plus-models isn't saying they're fat... they are just above the norm of average fashion models.

I'm really not understanding the outrage.

Oct 02 09 03:04 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

Exactly... people are taking the term to a whole different level.

Since when can't plus size and fabulous be synonymous?

Oct 02 09 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Miss Fifi wrote:

Exactly... people are taking the term to a whole different level.

I know when I am dressed up i'm pretty damn fabulous

Oct 02 09 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Miss Fifi wrote:

Look at those models, that is the reason I posted the link. They're plus size, by industry standards, and look amazing...

Oct 02 09 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Miss Fifi wrote:
*sigh*

Is it really hard to understand that industry "plus-size" does not mean real world "plus-size". And, calling these women plus-models isn't saying they're fat... they are just above the norm of average fashion models.

I'm really not understanding the outrage.

C'mon, you're not really that surprised by this, are you? I mean, these days if your size 6 jeans are getting too tight on you, just go to the store and try on the size 4. You'll swim in 'em. And feel great about yourself as a result. Right?

Oct 02 09 03:08 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

La Seine by the Hudson wrote:

C'mon, you're not really that surprised by this, are you? I mean, these days if your size 6 jeans are getting too tight on you, just go to the store and try on the size 4. You'll swim in 'em. And feel great about yourself as a result. Right?

I personally find vanity sizing obnoxious and annoying as fuck when I go out to buy shit.

But, I still fail to see how people are not grasping the difference between industry "plus sized" and actual "plus size". It's like people are jumping on the "they aren't fat" bandwagon, when they have no clue what they're talking about.

Oct 02 09 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Miss Fifi wrote:

I personally find vanity sizing obnoxious and annoying as fuck when I go out to buy shit.

But, I still fail to see how people are not grasping the difference between industry "plus sized" and actual "plus size". It's like people are jumping on the "they aren't fat" bandwagon, when they have no clue what they're talking about.

I really doubt that they're not intelligent enough to grasp the diference. As a whole, anyhow. It seems that they think there shouldn't be a difference. For the same reason that, even if they say vanity sizing is obnoxious, they seem to like it (because the sales figures ain't lying, unfortunately). At the same time, people don't buy stuff photographically represented by fat people. But they want fat models, just so they know they exist, and therefore...

You get the picture.

Oct 02 09 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Miss Fifi wrote:

plus size is just a bigger size.  It all stems from the fact that women accepted a single sizing point for dresses while men were able to insist on waist, inseam shoulders as a minimum for suits big_smile
so someone 5'10" with an A cup will need "this" much fabric.  someone 5'4" with a D cup will need almost the same.  someone 5'1" and grossly overweight might need the same size (whatever it  turns out to be.  The fabric has to drape over everything to fit. Its not the person they are talking about.  It's the amount of fabric thats plus.

Oct 02 09 03:21 pm Link

Model

Vasilisa-art

London, England, United Kingdom

Jessyka Ann wrote:

you cant convince me that those women are plus size...Im sorry but I dont see it.

'Plus size' is not your opinion, and it's not fat - it's an industry standard. Those models fit the industry standards for plus sized models.

Oct 02 09 03:24 pm Link

Model

Vasilisa-art

Miss Fifi wrote:

+1, on both accounts.

Vanity sizing is utter bullshit - you're still the same size, just a different number!

And yes...the modeling world isn't the 'real world' as far as sizing is concerned (and a lot of other things....). Why the hell should it be?

Oct 02 09 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

tongue  How youuuu doing!

Oct 02 09 03:34 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Monterey Park, California, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:
Plus Model Mag's Nude Model version

http://www.plusmodelmag.com/General/plu … 196&page=0 (wee bit crack)

I was discussing this on twitter yesterday. I like glamour's version a lot better.

Also why did plus model mag wait 'till glamour did it first?

Oct 02 09 03:36 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

so, those are plus size fashion models and they're nude, right? cause those are clearly not regular plus size women that are nude.

Oct 02 09 03:36 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Jessyka Ann wrote:

they dont look sizes 10-16 though, they look like your average skinny healthy girl hmm

Most of the models shown are a size 12 or 14

Oct 02 09 03:38 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

hey my lil gnome buddy!!

Oct 02 09 03:39 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

Can I call super skinny models negative size?

Do I get to be normal size since I'm in the middle?

Blah. Labels.

Oct 02 09 03:41 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Sabrina Maree wrote:

Can I call super skinny models negative size?

Do I get to be normal size since I'm in the middle?

Blah. Labels.

We're not talking real life we're talking the modeling industry which is nowhere near real life. This is not a personal opinion it's industry standard.

Here this will tell you all about what a plus model is www.plusmodels.com

Oct 02 09 03:45 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Dara_w wrote:
so, those are plus size fashion models and they're nude, right? cause those are clearly not regular plus size women that are nude.

Lol if they were plus size women that were nude they'd all by 5'4 and a size 14

Oct 02 09 03:46 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Plus model Ari wrote:

We're not talking real life we're talking the modeling industry which is nowhere near real life. This is not a personal opinion it's industry standard.

Here this will tell you all about what a plus model is www.plusmodels.com

Why doesn't the industry have labels for other types of models?
I'm calling fashion models negative size from now on. Especially with vanity sizing, that shouldn't be offensive, right?

Except it is offensive. Because something happens doesn't mean you just accept it.

I googled some of those women... at least one is a size 6. Six! Since when is that plus size by any standard.

Oct 02 09 03:49 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

In real life I consider myself average. In modeling I'm plus. But I've submitted for plus jobs and been told I'm too thin. The gray area seems to be people who are size 8-11.

Oct 02 09 03:50 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Sabrina Maree wrote:

Why doesn't the industry have labels for other types of models?
I'm calling fashion models negative size from now on. Especially with vanity sizing, that shouldn't be offensive, right?

Except it is offensive. Because something happens doesn't mean you just accept it.

I googled some of those women... at least one is a size 6. Six! Since when is that plus size by any standard.

Actually they do have labels for other kinds of model. There are standards and requirements for fashion, urban, fitness models etc.

What exactly is offensive about it anyway? Plus size is just a word to describe a certain kind of person or model nothing more. All it really means is larger size.

Size 6 is on the small end of plus modeling but you need to realize this is the modeling world since when did any of it's standards reflect reality?

Oct 02 09 03:54 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Jakki Browne wrote:
In real life I consider myself average. In modeling I'm plus. But I've submitted for plus jobs and been told I'm too thin. The gray area seems to be people who are size 8-11.

Right, even though 6-11 is still considered plus it still harder for them to get work. It all depends on what the clients want.

Oct 02 09 03:55 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

It's interesting that a lot of those women used to be much, much thinner. Fashion models in some cases, just normal in others.

From the article...
Of the men questioned, a U.S.-size 10 was picked as their ideal body for women. The women polled cited their ideal as a size 6, with the national average a size 12.

Oct 02 09 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Gil Lang

Isla Vista, California, US

I think for many,+ size = this: smile

http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/7body.htm

Oct 02 09 04:16 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Sabrina Maree wrote:
It's interesting that a lot of those women used to be much, much thinner. Fashion models in some cases, just normal in others.

From the article...
Of the men questioned, a U.S.-size 10 was picked as their ideal body for women. The women polled cited their ideal as a size 6, with the national average a size 12.

Interesting. I've had men of all races tell me I'm the perfect size (10). I want to lose 20lbs! My hips make me cry.

Oct 02 09 04:16 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Jakki Browne wrote:
Interesting. I've had men of all races tell me I'm the perfect size (10). I want to lose 20lbs! My hips make me cry.

Since I've gained a little weight (from a size 0/2 to a 4, other than boobs, obviously) I get a lot more attention from guys too... it drives me up the wahzoo, but they really seem to like it.
Too bad it's about me. lol.

PS I'm shorter so I assume a size 4 is like a size 6-8 for a taller woman. Seems little when I write it down but it really is bigger! lol

Oct 02 09 04:18 pm Link

Model

Plus model Ari

Sabrina Maree wrote:

From the article...

I thought the national average was a size 14 now

Oct 02 09 04:21 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Plus model Ari wrote:

I thought the national average was a size 14 now

Not according to the magazine. I think a size 14 was reported a few years ago. Perhaps women are getting smaller.

Oct 02 09 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

What's with the handbras? Laaaaammmme. tongue

Oct 02 09 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

Gil Lang wrote:
I think for many,+ size = this: smile

http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/7body.htm

Yes, that's plus size. The women in the Glamour photo are real size women...curves. They are gorgeous.

Oct 02 09 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

(sorry editing issues)

Oct 02 09 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

Jakki Browne wrote:

You are just fine the way you are..gorgeous. I have hips too.

Oct 02 09 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sabrina Maree wrote:

Since I've gained a little weight (from a size 0/2 to a 4, other than boobs, obviously) I get a lot more attention from guys too... it drives me up the wahzoo, but they really seem to like it.
Too bad it's about me. lol.

PS I'm shorter so I assume a size 4 is like a size 6-8 for a taller woman. Seems little when I write it down but it really is bigger! lol

I like a woman who isn’t just skin and bones. So now that I know you have curves, I've decided I'll go out with you wink

Oct 02 09 04:55 pm Link

Model

_Siobhan_

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Jessyka Ann wrote:
I dont see 'plus sized' girls. I see skinny girls. why are they considered plus size?

Im horrified that THATS considered plus sized..

Well, they aren't what I would call "skinny". But "plus" does not mean all "plus sizes". They have their own set of requirements in terms of proportions- between 5'8'' and 6'0'', typically sizes 10-16 (I think), and toned, with no more than 10 inches in between their bust, waist, and hip measurements. Again, this does not make them "big". Sheesh...

Oct 02 09 05:04 pm Link

Model

K Allende

Columbus, Ohio, US

joeyk wrote:
http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2009/10/02/glamour-naked-plus-sized-models-scarlett-johansson/?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stylelist.com%2Fblog%2F2009%2F10%2F02%2Fglamour-naked-plus-sized-models-scarlett-johansson%2F

Hell Yea!

pretty pretty

Oct 02 09 05:05 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

I have modeled for plus sized clothing, but I am not plus sized. Does it suck? Maybe, I am not as bothered by labels so much anymore.

I for one am glad to be seeing plus model nudity.

Oct 02 09 05:06 pm Link

Model

VasilisaK

Sabrina Maree wrote:

Not according to the magazine. I think a size 14 was reported a few years ago. Perhaps women are getting smaller.

No...just more vanity sizing. Size 14 was average in the 50's too...but it was quite a few inches smaller than today's size 14.

Oct 03 09 03:26 am Link

Model

Jenna Bea

Mesa, Arizona, US

I love this forum the best. I'm brand new to trying out modeling, I had no Idea I'd be considered plus size. hmm, cool.To bad I'm to dang short for runway.

Oct 03 09 03:52 am Link