Forums > Photography Talk > proper lighting... photo versus video. any tips?

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

i use 500 watt tungsten bulbs, they are pretty adequate for much of my photo work.  but i am starting to believe they are completely inadequate for my video lighting needs.  they give off what appears to be a warm, yellowish light.  guy at the photo supply store told me (which i really didn't need verifaction of this fact) that these lights get really hot and have to maintain this temperature for their optimum lighting qualitys.  they are much too bright for me to use the gels to alter the range of these lights, they blast right thru the gels and it doesn't seem to matter gel or no gel.

what would be the proper lights for me to use when shooting mini dv indoors?

ClevelandSlim

Jul 16 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

They make daylight bulbs.  They do not last near as long as tungsten in my experience.  Also, if you do not have a pretty wide appeture you may have to use several.  Not too expensive...online ordering...$5-10 per at a photo shop $8-15.

This will get rid of your yellow but gels are out unless you have a barn door system that will get the gels a proper distance from the bulb with out light leak.

Jul 16 05 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Should be just the opposite!!
You should be able to adjust white balance in your camera

Jul 16 05 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
Should be just the opposite!!
You should be able to adjust white balance in your camera

the camera does have a white balance.  but still, even as bright and hot as these two tungsten 500 watt lights get... they definitely seem to be the wrong type of lights for video.

bencook2...
can you give me a url to a set/s of daylights so i will know exactly what type of light you are referring to?

thanx for your replies.

ClevelandSlim

Jul 16 05 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 
the camera does have a white balance.  but still, even as bright and hot as these two tungsten 500 watt lights get... they definitely seem to be the wrong type of lights for video.

There are no wrong types of lights for video.  You must not be working the white balance correctly.  Get a white board and custom set it.  If that doesn't work and the video is too warm for you, add a blue gel.

Jul 16 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

They have untra white lights for photography, they cost more but great for photos. They have the ones that do not get hot also that are the ultra white kind.
If you have setting for daylight, bulb, flouresent ect. try changing that first and see what works.
Whats in the area your filming, the lights will bounch off things and reflect that color onto the subject and area. Hang up some white sheets maybe to lessen that effect.

Jul 16 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Here is where you want to go when you are ready to spend the money.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/st … d=13074476  (spend it somewhere other than ritz though)

Until then, these will do.  Now I want to warn you these things get f*cking hot!
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=2104

One more thing... read up on color temperature.  An understanding of that can save you time and money down the road.

Jul 17 05 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

1) Try an 80A filter on your lens.
2) Make sure you're using "Full CTB," not just "blue gels."

Jul 17 05 10:09 am Link