Forums > Photography Talk > where can I go to borrow lenses?

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

I have seen on different threads on this forum people advicing other new photographers to borrow lenses and decide which ones are more suitable for them. I live in Dayton, OH and have a 8MP Sony and need some info on this matter...if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it smile
Pitaru

Jul 16 05 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Powell

Columbus, Ohio, US

call shops in dayton to see if they stock lenses for your camera... some places will rent equipment but you might as well buy because after a day or 2's rental you've about paid for the lens

Jul 16 05 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

unless you have friends with the same camera (and you certainly didnt make many photographer friends with that 'models should pay phtogs' thread), you should rent the lenses. or study with an instructor (ooo, you might have to pay for that), who has similar gear and can loan as your learning. I don't think many instructors have anything less than SLR/DSLR/MF/LF cameras.

When my students have Nikon gear, they have full access to my lenses to experiment with. It's just the nice thing to do. One of my mentors did it for me.

mmm, Dayton. Be there in August. Cant wait.

Jul 16 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
I have seen on different threads on this forum people advicing other new photographers to borrow lenses and decide which ones are more suitable for them. I live in Dayton, OH and have a 8MP Sony and need some info on this matter...if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it smile
Pitaru

Sony F-828?

Jul 16 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Is there only like one lens choice for that? well a wide angle adaptor?

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Pitaru: 
Pitaru

Sony F-828?

Jul 16 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
Pitaru

Sony F-828?

yes

Jul 16 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Pitaru: 
Pitaru

Sony F-828?

yes

It comes with a vari focus lenz not replacible-You can add screw on lenz attachments..

There is no place that loans lenz unless your buddy loans it too ya!!

Jul 16 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Capt Stu Beans: 
unless you have friends with the same camera (and you certainly didnt make many photographer friends with that 'models should pay phtogs' thread), you should rent the lenses. or study with an instructor (ooo, you might have to pay for that), who has similar gear and can loan as your learning. I don't think many instructors have anything less than SLR/DSLR/MF/LF cameras.

When my students have Nikon gear, they have full access to my lenses to experiment with. It's just the nice thing to do. One of my mentors did it for me.

now I'll be damn...am I not allowed to say what I think or what? Well if I have bothered any photographer with what I think then I guess they should deal with it as I am not sorry and never will be...this is how I am. As for the little things said in between the advices ...well, thank you for the advices and I can assure you I am not afraid of anyone and it's not like I am ruining my career if photographers dont like me anymore and wont lend me their lenses...I was asking for stores that might rent not photographers

Jul 16 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

now I'll be damn...am I not allowed to say what I think or what? Well if I have bothered any photographer with what I think then I guess they should deal with it as I am not sorry and never will be...this is how I am. As for the little things said in between the advices ...well, thank you for the advices and I can assure you I am not afraid of anyone and it's not like I am ruining my career if photographers dont like me anymore and wont lend me their lenses...I was asking for stores that might rent not photographers

Learn to kiss ass before you kick ass.

Jul 16 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by Pitaru: 

Learn to kiss ass before you kick ass.

I am afraod this will never happen...no kiss ass for me...I'll let others do it and be unknown and stupid forever :-)

Jul 16 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by Pitaru: 
Well if I have bothered any photographer with what I think then I guess they should deal with it as I am not sorry and never will be...this is how I am.

Cool. No huhu.

If you can do all of everything on your own, by all means; disregard what others feel, think, or believe. Just expect other people not to bother with you, either.

Words to consider:

Cooperation
Civility
Community
Consideration

Without those, it's hard to get jobs, hard to get models, and hard to get help, whether regular hand-up kind of help (borrowing a lens for testing) or emergency help (borrowing a camera or battery when there's a problem in the middle of a shoot).

Posted by Pitaru: 
I'll let others do it and be unknown and stupid forever :-)

That's ultimately your decision to make.

Jul 17 05 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Kevin Connery: 

Posted by Pitaru: 
Well if I have bothered any photographer with what I think then I guess they should deal with it as I am not sorry and never will be...this is how I am.

Cool. No huhu.

If you can do all of everything on your own, by all means; disregard what others feel, think, or believe. Just expect other people not to bother with you, either.

Words to consider:

Cooperation
Civility
Community
Consideration

Without those, it's hard to get jobs, hard to get models, and hard to get help, whether regular hand-up kind of help (borrowing a lens for testing) or emergency help (borrowing a camera or battery when there's a problem in the middle of a shoot).

Posted by Pitaru: 
I'll let others do it and be unknown and stupid forever :-)

That's ultimately your decision to make.

ok, I am sorry...I am not a photographer,, I am not looking for paid jobs or anything, I do not work with professional models as I am aware of my photography "level".

"Cooperation
Civility
Community
Consideration"
I am aware of these but I am not an ass kisser and I will never EVER change my opinions just so people will like me. People who feel offended by what I am thinking should ignore me as I ignore them. The proble is:
I am writing a thread here on where I can go and rent some lenses, from what shop and people start telling me about some post I wrote 2 weeks ago where I was expressing my opinion. Is this some sort of desguised communism called in these days in this country politness that I am not aware of or what? Your list "
Cooperation
Civility
Community
Consideration" is hidding nothing but lies. I preffer people who dont smile in my face then the ones who do it because they are trained to do it and then are talking behind your back. These are hipocrits.

Jul 17 05 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by Pitaru: our list "
Cooperation
Civility
Community
Consideration" is hidding nothing but lies. I preffer people who dont smile in my face then the ones who do it because they are trained to do it and then are talking behind your back. These are hipocrits.

I wish you the best of luck. Should you ever find yourself needing anything from any other people, you may want to refer back to this list of "lies".

Jul 17 05 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 
Is there only like one lens choice for that? well a wide angle adaptor?

That and a fish eye lens.

Jul 17 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

While you are renting some lenses, can you see if they girlfirends as well, I dont want to buy a girlfriend as I am scarred that my research technique is inadequate and I will make a mistake that dont want to admitt to anyone.  so I think renting is a great way to go for cowards like us.

Jul 18 05 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by StudioGuru: 
While you are renting some lenses, can you see if they girlfirends as well, I dont want to buy a girlfriend as I am scarred that my research technique is inadequate and I will make a mistake that dont want to admitt to anyone.  so I think renting is a great way to go for cowards like us.

Well, this doesnt answer my question but your metaphore is really striking...would have never thought of something like this smile

Jul 18 05 03:33 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Pitaru: 
Pitaru

You need a real camera before you can change the lens on it.

Your problem is a lack of education regarding photography, and too many opinions you can't back up. A new lens won't fix that.

I suggest you stick to being a Suicide Girl or whatever it is you are doing as a model to get photogs to shoot your goth pics for free.

Maybe the next time you shoot with one of those great photographers you bragged about who doesn't charge, you can ask them about cameras and lenses.

Jul 18 05 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Pitaru: 
Pitaru

You need a real camera before you can change the lens on it.

Your problem is a lack of education regarding photography, and too many opinions you can't back up. A new lens won't fix that.

I suggest you stick to being a Suicide Girl or whatever it is you are doing as a model to get photogs to shoot your goth pics for free.

Maybe the next time you shoot with one of those great photographers you bragged about who doesn't charge, you can ask them about cameras and lenses.

so I see a 8MP camera is not a real one...well...excuse me then..did by any chance called myself a photographer? No! Extreme Artists I suggest to give me a brake with your stupid answers that have no connections with my questions, ok? Instead either try to stick with the topic or dont answer at all!

Jul 18 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

All you mention is the "Sony 8mp" so i am assuming you mean you have the CYBERSHOT DSC-F828.
From looking at the camera, the lense looks fixed and the camera is not a SLR. This means you cannot change the lens's on this camera.
The question you asked about the lense does not make sense if you have that camera.
Being a 8mp though it should do most of what you need with the lense it has. Since your new to photography keep trying shots and working with them, the lense/camera you are using will either work for you or it will not, only time will tell.

Jul 18 05 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
All you mention is the "Sony 8mp" so i am assuming you mean you have the CYBERSHOT DSC-F828.
From looking at the camera, the lense looks fixed and the camera is not a SLR. This means you cannot change the lens's on this camera.
The question you asked about the lense does not make sense if you have that camera.
Being a 8mp though it should do most of what you need with the lense it has. Since your new to photography keep trying shots and working with them, the lense/camera you are using will either work for you or it will not, only time will tell.

Thank you

Jul 18 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Pitaru: 
so I see a 8MP camera is not a real one

If that's all you thought about when you selected it, then it likely is not.

I know the Sony you have is not an SLR, so you can't change lenses. The Sony you have is a point & shoot camera, and the sensor is very noisy.

Jul 18 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Posted by Pitaru: 

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

Thank you

Your Welcome
If there are ANY lenses available for this camera other than the one that is attached to it right now, SONY would have it listed. Check the web site or check with your local photography place.
I do not think replacable/ changable lenses are available for this camera but it never hurts to look. You would need a SLR to be able to change lenses like you want.

Jul 18 05 02:28 pm Link